How do I rid oily scum? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-28-2005, 08:25 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
How do I rid oily scum?

Hey guys, I just bought some mollies for my 20g to get rid of my oily surface scum and it worked. However, I have a 3g 9x9x9 cube that most mollies are too big for. Will balloon mollies work for for this case? Also, since the cube is in my room is there a quiet nano means of cleaning the surface aside from using airation?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-28-2005, 09:05 PM

PTrader: (9/100%)
Place a paper towel on the surface to absorb the oily film. Works every time.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-28-2005, 10:10 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Hello m.lemay

I gave that a try on my 20g and the oil would keep coming back. I'll give it a try on my nano. Perhaps the smaller volume will make it more victorious.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-29-2005, 12:33 AM

in my nano tank i found that common pond snails worked great in removing surface scum i see them usually upside down eating on the surface, probably munching on the surface scum i dont know the species of the pon snail exactly but i could try and take a picture if your interested
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-29-2005, 09:05 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I would love to see a picture of them for me and the rest of us that want a scum remedy. I'll see if they're at the lfs too. Thanks, you guys are much help towards nano sucess.

Last edited by Lazaro; 09-29-2005 at 04:03 PM.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-29-2005, 07:10 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
I have had problems with snails in the past, so I prefer the mechanical routs to remove the oily scum from the surface. I had a 5.5g nano with a hang-on back filter and one of these sucking the film off the surface: http://www.thatpetplace.com/Products.../Itemdy00.aspx

I have one of these on my 56 corner tank currently: http://www.thatpetplace.com/Products.../Itemdy00.aspx
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-30-2005, 12:43 AM

sorry was not able to check with the forums last night so wasn't able to take pictures, anyways yes snails will become a problem if you dont keep a close watch on their numbers (in a small nano tank, for me this is not a problem) and to tell you the truth common pond snails (well in my tanks) dont eat the plants! as long as they are not starving (IMO), and if they did then my nano tank would be leafless!

il try to post a pic later of them hangin upside down....
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-30-2005, 01:45 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Cool kenneth_kpe,

I myself never had a problem with snails infact I one of those aquarists that kinda like dem and underfeed to boot. I got a balloon molly and it's just being pretty and leaving the stuff alone. However, the regular mollies I got for my 20 gal are doing a great job. How much do these snails clear up the surface? Is it partially or sparkling?

Also, I'm tempted to get a nano filter and worry about co2 compromise to agetate the scum away. Any comments of that?

You guys make the forum fun and informative.

Thanks
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-30-2005, 12:44 PM

hey there ! i have a pic here of the snails hanging upside down, they do a good job keeping the surface clean of surface scum but i think the fan pointed at the tank also helps (but just a little, since when i come home after the fan has been off for around 12 hours there is no trace of anything shiny on the surface, just snails hangin around)

heres a pic of the snails

i also got a nano filter for my tank, same as yours, but people actually advised me to remove it ! self filtering nano tank i guess with a lot of plants its ok here is my nano for reference, i placed a foam on the downpour of the HOB to minimize significantly surface agitation
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-30-2005, 05:17 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

kenneth_kpe thats awesome my pinoy bretherin. The water looks very clear and the snails don't seem too obtrusive.... I'm going to give the pond snails a shot. Thanks guys!
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-01-2005, 10:50 AM

np ! just make sure the snails are the ones that prefer plants as a last resort ! not as their first choice for meals : (
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-11-2005, 05:32 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Although it's been awhile, I finally got a black balloon molly to go with the white one I already have. I also got some pond snails like I've seen in your picture. However, they don't seem to be skimming the surface. On the other hand since my original molly has a friend now, they both seem to be happy and "sipping" oil from the surface. It could be just the black balloon molly since I hear they eat anything.

Hope this is useful to someone.

Last edited by Lazaro; 10-13-2005 at 08:36 AM.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode