CANADA: Nano Planted Tank - Planning stages - Feedback please! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-28-2005, 03:10 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
CANADA: Nano Planted Tank - Planning stages - Feedback please!

Hi everyone,

I am planning to setup a planted 6 gallon nanocube. I plan on having:

-Cherry Shrimps
-Xmas moss
-Neon/Cardinal Tetras

I'm in the KW area in Ontario, Canada and I previously had a 120 gallon planted tank in Singapore.

This is my first attempt at a planted tank in Canada, so I'm looking for suggestions as to where I can pick up the above items. I'm willing to drive as far as TO or London, so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-28-2005, 05:39 PM
Planted Member

Welcome onboard !

- Marge
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-29-2005, 01:57 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (-1/0%)
Wink

go to Big als at Steeles and Young,, they have lots of plants and some SHRIMP!!!

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-30-2005, 02:14 PM Thread Starter

Okay, after some reconsideration, I've decided to change my plans.

I am looking to pick up one of the frameless bow front tanks this weekend....haven't really decided on the size, but it will probably be between 2-5 gallons.

Plants will still be Xmas moss and possibly riccia...

Livestock will be cherry shrimps and tetras(depending on the size of the tank).

Here're a couple of questions though:

1) What sort of lighting should I go for?
2) Do I need any sort of water movement or filtration for a tank like this?

Thank you!
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-01-2005, 12:45 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by szesteve
1) What sort of lighting should I go for?
2) Do I need any sort of water movement or filtration for a tank like this?
1. I would suggest a 70 watt MH pendent light, you would be much happier in the long run. Here's a link to a group buy for a good light.
http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/show...threadid=68057

2. Some water movement is advisable
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-01-2005, 03:25 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Actually...a 70w HM fixture on that small of a tank is asking for trouble...heat and algae wise, not to mention alot of work to hang a fixture from the ceiling for a 6g. to much work IMO

I dont know how big the bowfront tank is that your getting but if your staying small like 6g or so then you could use a coralife fixture. they have a small one its 18w total and for a 6g thats 3wpg...and save you umm about $170 from the MH fixture heh.
Here is a link to the coralife one. http://www.hellolights.com/92xcomifraqc.html

I use the same thing on my 2.5g tank only i pulled one of the bulbs out and get only 9w it works great. I dont dose ferts or inject Co2 to that tank so with 9w its a perfect balance. I wold assume that for a 6g the 18w would be ideal.

For water movement your filter should have enough water flow you wont need anything else especially in a small tank. I like the Red Sea nano filters and they work great there rated for 5g I think (might want to check into that) but im sure it would work on a 6g as long as your not overstocking the tank. Any small filter will give you enough circulation for a planted tank. Aquaclear, Red sea nano, wisper10...etc

My tanks:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 10g - 5g - 2.5g
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-02-2005, 03:43 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraFFix
Actually...a 70w HM fixture on that small of a tank is asking for trouble...heat and algae wise, not to mention alot of work to hang a fixture from the ceiling for a 6g. to much work IMO
Here is a link for a group buy on Current-USA SATELLITE¢â Model 1001.
http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/show...threadid=68216
It has 1x18W PC plus moonlights.
Here is link for the light.
http://www.current-usa.com/products/satellite.html
Now price for this great little fixture is $35.

But I still think long term the 70 watt MH is the way to go. It's just not that hard to hang a small pendent fixture and you can raise it up high enough so heat should not be an issue. It' hard to spend the extra cash, though.
Just my two cents.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
< . . .

. . .

< . . .

< . . .

< . . .
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-02-2005, 12:37 PM Thread Starter

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-02-2005, 12:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:

I dont know how big the bowfront tank is that your getting but if your staying small like 6g or so then you could use a coralife fixture. they have a small one its 18w total and for a 6g thats 3wpg...and save you umm about $170 from the MH fixture heh.
Here is a link to the coralife one. http://www.hellolights.com/92xcomifraqc.html

I use the same thing on my 2.5g tank only i pulled one of the bulbs out and get only 9w it works great. I dont dose ferts or inject Co2 to that tank so with 9w its a perfect balance. I wold assume that for a 6g the 18w would be ideal.

For water movement your filter should have enough water flow you wont need anything else especially in a small tank. I like the Red Sea nano filters and they work great there rated for 5g I think (might want to check into that) but im sure it would work on a 6g as long as your not overstocking the tank. Any small filter will give you enough circulation for a planted tank. Aquaclear, Red sea nano, wisper10...etc
Hey Graffix,

Do you just let your light fixture sit on your tank?

Also, I was thinking of the Red Sea power filter but was wondering if shrimps would get sucked in...
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-02-2005, 03:38 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Realistically 7 watts is not much light and unless you have a lot of ambient room light you will have to stick with low light plants.
I have 2.18 = 36 watts on my 7-gallon Xmas moss tank and when only one 18 watt bulb is turned on it seems very dim.

< . . .

. . .

< . . .

< . . .

< . . .
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-02-2005, 04:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALIFER
Realistically 7 watts is not much light and unless you have a lot of ambient room light you will have to stick with low light plants.
I have 2.18 = 36 watts on my 7-gallon Xmas moss tank and when only one 18 watt bulb is turned on it seems very dim.

What if it's just for moss?
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-02-2005, 05:51 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Hey Graffix,

Do you just let your light fixture sit on your tank?

Also, I was thinking of the Red Sea power filter but was wondering if shrimps would get sucked in...
Yes I just have the light sitting on the tank...

On my 2.5g I made my own plexi glass top and just cut a notch out of it for the filter and also cut one of the corners off giving me about a 1/2 opening at the corner for feeding. Then i just sit the light on top the tank. this also helps with evaporation.

For the Red Sea Nano filter what I did was bought a big 12"x6" block of foam from my LFS. I think there used for wet/dry filters. Anyways...What I do is cut a 1.5" x 1.5" square off the block then use my scissors and cut an X in the center then slip the small cube over the intake of the fliter. It helps in alot of ways. First it stops the shrimp from getting sucked into the filter, it also catches any big debris and loose leaves from plants..etc. It also give the shrimp something to munch on...they love sitting on the foam picking at it. and I havent lost one yet to the filter. When i change water I just take it off squeeze it in the discarded tank water and put it back on...when its beyond cleaning i just cut a new square and thats it. I figure the big block I bought will last me for a very long time. and at only 6 bucks its a good buy.

HTH

My tanks:
- 10g - 5g - 2.5g
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-02-2005, 07:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Yes I just have the light sitting on the tank...

On my 2.5g I made my own plexi glass top and just cut a notch out of it for the filter and also cut one of the corners off giving me about a 1/2 opening at the corner for feeding. Then i just sit the light on top the tank. this also helps with evaporation.

For the Red Sea Nano filter what I did was bought a big 12"x6" block of foam from my LFS. I think there used for wet/dry filters. Anyways...What I do is cut a 1.5" x 1.5" square off the block then use my scissors and cut an X in the center then slip the small cube over the intake of the fliter. It helps in alot of ways. First it stops the shrimp from getting sucked into the filter, it also catches any big debris and loose leaves from plants..etc. It also give the shrimp something to munch on...they love sitting on the foam picking at it. and I havent lost one yet to the filter. When i change water I just take it off squeeze it in the discarded tank water and put it back on...when its beyond cleaning i just cut a new square and thats it. I figure the big block I bought will last me for a very long time. and at only 6 bucks its a good buy.

HTH
That's a great idea. Do you have a pic of your tank to share?
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-02-2005, 09:08 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

frameless bow front?? what brand?

come check out pnaquaria.ca forums:
http://pna.pricenetwork.ca/forum/

lots of toronto ppl on there if you need location specific input.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-02-2005, 11:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaboy1021
frameless bow front?? what brand?

come check out pnaquaria.ca forums:
http://pna.pricenetwork.ca/forum/

lots of toronto ppl on there if you need location specific input.
Hey chinaboy1021,

I made a mistake, it's not a frameless bow-front. It's just a frameless tank.

Thanks for the link!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode