What light fixture to use on 5.5 gallon tank? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-28-2005, 04:44 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
What light fixture to use on 5.5 gallon tank?

You know the ones they sell at Petsmart and Petco. The All-Glass website says the lenght is 16'' and I can't find a PC that long/short. The closest is a 20'' and on the other end, a 9''. http://bigalsonline.com/catalog/prod...d1=1843;pcid2=

What would you reconmend? I'm going for a high light tank.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-28-2005, 04:57 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
IMO, Just get one of those clip-on light fixture and use one 20W PC bulb (6500K)

Eheim Pimp Club Member #74
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-28-2005, 05:53 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

That would be 4 WPG O_O

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-28-2005, 07:11 AM

you can still keep a tank in check with 4WPG, i got a 100watt florsecent on a 5g and its practically algae free
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-28-2005, 12:29 PM
jgc
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Is your 100 watt fluorescent one of the pc spiral screw in's? If so that is 100 watt equivalent to a incandescent. Think they are actually less than 20 watts.

Due to their shape I suspect it will be a lot more difficult to make an efficient reflector for them (as apposed to a strait tube bulb), and the spirals have a lot of restrike (which again hurts their efficiency.

Would love to see a test to see just how they compare to a 13 watt ahs fixure at getting light to the bottom of a thank.

On the other hand - can not beat the price and if they give you enough light then the rest is just academic.

58 gallon oceanic, Kessel 360 tun sun, pressurized co2, eheim pimp #179 - 2217 and diffuser
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-28-2005, 12:47 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Send a message via MSN to jhoetzl
When I had my 5.5 running as a planted tank, I use to use 2 20W non-spiral screw-in CF in a DIY hood. It wasn't the greatest hood design, but it worked well.

The bulbs were from Lights of America. And I can't find them on their website, but they were "Daylight" models, with "fluorex". Gave a nice color, and they are spec'd as 6500K.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-29-2005, 04:34 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Hmm to think about it, I could actually use the coralife mini fixture if it was elevated from the tank but that needs legs. Could a coralife mini be raised with legs like in the bigger coralife fixtures?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-29-2005, 08:31 PM
Algae Grower

if your 5.5.G is an AGA tank, the coralife mini fixture won't be long enough. Even with the legs, it just won't work. One of tank journals on nano-reef.com had the same tank and ordered the same coralife mini, and he had to take apart the light and mod it in to a home built hood.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode