Too Warm? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-15-2013, 06:15 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Too Warm?

New guy here. I got a Fluval Spec for Christmas that I'm in the middle of cycling for a planted CRS tank. The heater I have is a 10w Aqueon which has been keeping the tank right around 80 to 81 F. Is this too warm to keep CRS? If so what heater have some of you used to get the best temp for your CRS? This heater is the smallest I could get at my LFS.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-15-2013, 10:53 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

No one wants to help a newbie?
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-15-2013, 11:47 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (488/100%)
Yes, it's too warm. You won't need a heater for shrimp. CRS should be kept at 72 or below, ideally. Some of my Crystal tanks get as cold as 60 at night with no issues.

It can take a while to respond during the daytime, as most forum members are at work or school.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-16-2013, 12:16 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (10/100%)
If the heater is adjustable, dial it down. If not, unplug or take out the heater.

From the web page: http://www.planetinverts.com/Crystal...%20Shrimp.html

Quick Info

English name: Crystal Red Shrimp
Scientific name:
Caridina cf. cantonensis
sp. "Crystal Red"
Origin: Mutation of bee shrimp
Size male/female: 1 inch / 1.2 in
Water temperature: 64 - 78 F
Water Parameters: pH 6.5 - 7.5
Breeding Rate: high
Behaviour: non-agressive
Difficulty: medium-hard
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-16-2013, 12:17 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (29/100%)
Yeah, that's too warm in my opinion. My shrimp tank runs about 72.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-16-2013, 12:24 AM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (488/100%)
In my opinion and experience, 78 is way too warm.

68-72 seems to be the sweet spot for a lot of people.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-16-2013, 12:26 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks guys! I'll turn the heater off and see where it goes. The tank is in my office and it gets a little cold sometimes but it should be ok if 72 is ideal.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-16-2013, 02:23 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
I don't keep CRS but I find my shrimp do better with no heater, so if the house heat is 68 the tank is about the same, then is summer it will jump up to 72 or 73, these differences seem to help keep them spawning, or they just spawn all the time anyway?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode