Stuff fast growers in a new 6g or not? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-14-2005, 04:36 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
Question Stuff fast growers in a new 6g or not?

I'm about to purchase my JBJ 6g nanocube (and will start a journal after receiving it) but I have another question: should I purchase a few fast growing plants to get the tank established (nutrients, CO2 levels, etc, etc) or is it "safe" to pop in the plants I truly want to aquascape with right away? I'm trying to avoid algae altogether (if possible, but it probably isn't) or at least only slighty suffer through algae issues by my own mistakes. I'd like to avoid an initial planting mistake, though, which is why I'm asking this .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-14-2005, 04:42 PM
jgc
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
As a fellow grower of algae, welcome to the group. I fear I did not put enough fast growers in my tank initially and am reaping the rewards with large harvest of algae weekly.

Poor substrait might also be an additional culprit.

Sorry I can not give personal insight as to what to do, can only say what I did and the mess that it caused.

bwt, tank is looking much better, but then again I "harvested" on Monday (err and on Saturday...).
---------
Think a critical word here is "stuff" The slow(er) growing plants I got were small, I also expepted a lot of fill in from the few fast growing plants. Basically I was way, way too low on bioload to suck up the excess nutrients.

Had I started with all the plants I wanted, at the size I wanted it would have worked (hopefully). I have planted a lot more plants, and have had a lot of fill in since. I will post a picture if I can get one in a day or so. Also should mention that the tank actually was doing fine till the light broke for a week. Will post a before and after pic on that.
9/2/05
9/10/05

58 gallon oceanic, Kessel 360 tun sun, pressurized co2, eheim pimp #179 - 2217 and diffuser

Last edited by jgc; 09-15-2005 at 12:23 PM.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-14-2005, 06:49 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
What plants do you want to stock eventually? If you put enough of them in there at the outset so that the tank is really full, you should be okay. Keep in mind that "heavily planted" is a relative term. You want to plant so that you don't see a lot of substrate when you're done. I only have a bit of green spot in this tank now, and this picture was taken right after planting on Aug. 28th:

Keep CO2 high (30ppm), ADD FERTS in the Estimative Index fashion, and don't go over 3 watts/gallon and you should be okay. Dose Seachem Excel as a prophylactic if you want, too.

John P.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-14-2005, 08:53 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
That looks gorgeous
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-14-2005, 09:42 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulu
That looks gorgeous
Thanks!

John P.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-14-2005, 09:55 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John P.
What plants do you want to stock eventually? If you put enough of them in there at the outset so that the tank is really full, you should be okay. Keep in mind that "heavily planted" is a relative term. You want to plant so that you don't see a lot of substrate when you're done. I only have a bit of green spot in this tank now, and this picture was taken right after planting on Aug. 28th:

Keep CO2 high (30ppm), ADD FERTS in the Estimative Index fashion, and don't go over 3 watts/gallon and you should be okay. Dose Seachem Excel as a prophylactic if you want, too.
Well, I'm not sure yet which plants, I will be mapping that out this coming weekend. I'll create a new "journal" thread this weekend to begin the fun.

For CO2 ("Carbon", I suppose), I'm going to use only Seachem Excel. It's only a 6g tank and I'd rather not mess with a mini-system nor the yeast stuff. Lighting is 18w PC (not a screw-in bulb but a 8" PC bulb) over the 6g. I plan to add ferts as well but from what I've gathered on this forum, I should wait until the fast growers are somewhat established (around 3-4 weeks) before adding micros/macros. Is that correct or not?

Also, are you saying that I should just put in the plants I want AND the additional fast growers?? I wouldn't have room for all of that! My plan was to throw in 4-5 different fast growers, give it a month, rip most of them out, and then begin to put in the plants I really want.

..... how am I doing so far? I feel like all of this is information overload and I just need to actually dive in at this point. But I do want to dive in and not get hurt .
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-14-2005, 09:57 PM
Wannabe Guru

Re: algae, it's actually easy to avoid the nuisance types. Early on, I was guilty of not having enough plants, not having CO2 levels high enough, and not fertilizing enough. After you figure this out, the problems don't really occur, and if they do, rarely do they get out of control.

I used to think there was some secret I was overlooking. My problem was reliance on test kits. I haven't tested water parameters in 9 months, and my tank has never looked better.

John P.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-14-2005, 10:06 PM
Wannabe Guru

Seachem Excel = that'll work fine. It's not a bad idea to add more than they suggest, actually, but be a little careful.

Lighting is 18w PC (not a screw-in bulb but a 8" PC bulb) over the 6g = good, make sure you're reflecting the light into the tank.

I plan to add ferts as well but from what I've gathered on this forum, I should wait until the fast growers are somewhat established (around 3-4 weeks) before adding micros/macros. Is that correct or not? = No, I don't think you should wait. Try starting off with half the dosage that you will need. Go to aquaticplantcentral.com's "fertilator" and figure out the NPK that you'll need, as well as the micros amounts. Halve that, and fertilze that amount (macros) every other day. Halve the micros, too, and feed on the days you are not adding macros. I'd do this for a max of 2 weeks, then go with full amounts. The fertilizers will not hurt anything. Plants without plant food don't thrive. Plain & simple.

Also, are you saying that I should just put in the plants I want AND the additional fast growers?? =No--plant it full of the plants you want to have in there for the long haul. You can forget about traditional fast growers if the tank is chock full of other plants.

I wouldn't have room for all of that! My plan was to throw in 4-5 different fast growers, give it a month, rip most of them out, and then begin to put in the plants I really want. = Fine, but you're just wasting time with plants you don't want.

..... how am I doing so far? I feel like all of this is information overload and I just need to actually dive in at this point. But I do want to dive in and not get hurt . = Exactly![/QUOTE]

John P.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-15-2005, 01:28 AM

PTrader: (4/100%)
John P., what are the smaller plants in front of the stones in your tank? They look neat. Are they low light plants?
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-15-2005, 03:16 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faust2001
John P., what are the smaller plants in front of the stones in your tank? They look neat. Are they low light plants?
Hemianthus Callitrichoides (aka ""HC")!

John P.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-03-2005, 05:16 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John P.
Seachem Excel = that'll work fine. It's not a bad idea to add more than they suggest, actually, but be a little careful.

Lighting is 18w PC (not a screw-in bulb but a 8" PC bulb) over the 6g = good, make sure you're reflecting the light into the tank.

I plan to add ferts as well but from what I've gathered on this forum, I should wait until the fast growers are somewhat established (around 3-4 weeks) before adding micros/macros. Is that correct or not? = No, I don't think you should wait. Try starting off with half the dosage that you will need. Go to aquaticplantcentral.com's "fertilator" and figure out the NPK that you'll need, as well as the micros amounts. Halve that, and fertilze that amount (macros) every other day. Halve the micros, too, and feed on the days you are not adding macros. I'd do this for a max of 2 weeks, then go with full amounts. The fertilizers will not hurt anything. Plants without plant food don't thrive. Plain & simple.

Also, are you saying that I should just put in the plants I want AND the additional fast growers?? =No--plant it full of the plants you want to have in there for the long haul. You can forget about traditional fast growers if the tank is chock full of other plants.

I wouldn't have room for all of that! My plan was to throw in 4-5 different fast growers, give it a month, rip most of them out, and then begin to put in the plants I really want. = Fine, but you're just wasting time with plants you don't want.

..... how am I doing so far? I feel like all of this is information overload and I just need to actually dive in at this point. But I do want to dive in and not get hurt . = Exactly!
[/QUOTE]

John, thanks for all the helpful info - I've finally purchased the JBJ NC6 and will be purchasing the other items (except for plants) from BigAls in the next week or 2. I plan to get it up and running in the next 2-3 weeks.

I'll take your advice and just buy ALOT of the plants that I actually want to scape in the tank. I'll probably start a new thread on this to make sure of things .
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-03-2005, 05:37 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
I think one important thing that many beginners fail to do is the removal of smaller amounts of algae. They let it get to the point where its an infestation before doing anything. Once you let algae get a foot hold in your tank, it becomes a much more difficult task to remove it.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode