AK-- finally got the true display tank set up (10/12/2005) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-12-2005, 05:39 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (7/100%)
AK-- finally got the true display tank set up (10/12/2005)

Hey guys, I thought this would be an interesting story. If you guys remember this thread:

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=20491

There were details for a tank I was planning to set up at Tulane University in New Orleans. Haha, my last post on that thread was the day before I had to evacuate the city. Unfortunately, I only managed to escape with 2 sets of clothing and my laptop-- there is a fully stocked dorm with an aquarium in Tulane waiting for a college student to use it . . . And the only thing I can think about is that my plants are probably dead because my dorm room probably has no electricity!! (though I do know that all the Tulane Residence Halls are intact)

depressed but safe, I was going to return to Hawai'i but . . . I got a call from my Dad's alma matre, Claremont Mckenna College, and they offered to put me up as a visiting student. SO HAPPY!! So I up and went to California!

I am now living in a storage room that was transformed into a dorm for me and another Ronnin (Ronnin refers to "school less student" in Japanese). And I have begun preparations for my NEW PLANTED TANK!!! I REFUSE TO STOP!!!!

I have already ordered 3 8"x6"X6" Acrylic aquariums, though I will probably only use 1 and set up the other two for friends as clients (you'd be surprised how many college students want nice aquariums!). They should be nice, frameless. Though I'm used to glass, it's fine . . . and cheaper this way . . .

Also visited a LFs in upland close to Claremont and bought some stuff:
1 Bag Flora Base
1 Bag "art rock" light color sand
1 Deco Art nano filter

Lighting is going to be my desk light, which I made sure to pick specifically for this task. It has 13w PC flourescent lighting-- should be enough. It also has surprisingly good built in reflector and came with a 6500k bulb!!

I already have some idea of the plants . . .

Recently a guy on killies.com asked me for a sample of "plagiomnium cuspidatum," a very attractive semi-aquatic moss I posted about here: http://www.killies.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2395

I called my friend skipper who is taking care of my collection back in Hawai'i, and arranged for Skip to send him a sample. In exchange, the guy is going to send me peacock moss!

Information on peacock moss can be found here: http://www.aquamoss.net/Peacock-Moss/Peacock-Moss.htm

Besides the moss, I think I'm going to focus on short stem plants-- I've bought some micranthemoides and ludwigia from one of the forum members here, and hopefully I can get my friend to send me more micranthemoides from home.

I'm planning to do an island scape with the rocks and plants surrounded by a foreground of the sand that surounds the "island." It will be a little piece of home for a boy from Hawai'i . . .

Last edited by Steven_Chong; 10-13-2005 at 05:09 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-12-2005, 08:26 AM
BSS

PTrader: (12/100%)
Way to stay positive, GMF!!! I've got some micranthemoides *and* umbrosum growing in a pond out behind my house. If you want some, just ask (I'll even cover the shipping)! Post a list of what you're looking for. I don't have too many exotics, but I'd gladly ship you want I could.

A good positive attitude will serve you very well in life. Way to go! And glad to hear you are safe!!!!
Brian.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-12-2005, 08:54 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
thats the spirit!!!

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-12-2005, 01:08 PM
Planted Member

Coolness!

I was wondering what happened to you! Glad you found a spot to hang until Tulane is operational again. And glad also to hear that you are planting again! Can't wait to see and hear about the progress!!!! Wish I had some stuff to offer you but my one nano is struggling at the moment.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-13-2005, 02:41 AM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for your support! I'll keep you guys updated.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-13-2005, 04:05 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
I can't wait to start a new one also. Currently I am trying to find a place to live. Something was telling me to pack my lighting and co2 regulator to save money on rebuying it, but no I left it home. What a [email protected]$$.

40 gallon SeaClear Acrylic, 192 watt Orbit Lunar PC, Filstar XP2, Filstar XP1, JBJ Regulator, Rhinox 5000 glass co2 diffusor, 9 watt UV sterilizer, Hydor Inline Heater, Pool Filter Sand substrate
Filstar pimp #53

How comes shoppings so stupid, looks at all this stuff I haves, what do I do's with it.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-17-2005, 08:18 AM Thread Starter

Update 9/16

Hey guys, some plants reached me before the tanks did, so today I bought an aqua vase to be the temporary home of my plants.

Ok, and I also bought some cherry shrimp. Yes, it was impulsive, and the tank is not matured well, but I can't be sure if I'll see cherries again soon. Unfortunately, I think all 4 of them are females. I'm hoping the eggs that are already being carried by two of them are already fertilized, but I guess that might be hoping for too much . . .
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-17-2005, 07:20 PM
Algae Grower

Brah! drop me a line if you need anything. We need to keep da aloha spirit wherever we might be.

Vic
-------------------------------------------------

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-22-2005, 05:06 PM Thread Starter

Got a new bunch of plants from BSS-- thanks a lot man! Blyxa, MT, and wild HM's and MU's look great! The anubias and large crypt were a bit too big, have them in a bucket now. Updated pics soon!
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-22-2005, 06:37 PM
BSS

PTrader: (12/100%)
Glad you like 'em! Feel free to pass on down or compost whatever doesn't work for you. Can't wait to see the finished product!
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-24-2005, 10:46 AM Thread Starter

Found a dormmate who has macro on his cam-- so got some pretty good pics!

Some damaged micranthemum leaves, but that's to be expected in plants from the wild.

Hope you guys enjoy. Actually, the tanks I ordered don't come for 2-3 weeks!

Jeez, will I really have time before the semester ends?

Well, this lil' one is plenty amusing.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-24-2005, 06:50 PM
Algae Grower

Send a message via MSN to Louis
i didn't know cherries swam like the one in the first picture! thats cool. makes it even more annoying that nowhere in scotland has them though.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-25-2005, 02:12 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Oh yeah, shrimp swim like crazy if they want to! They can jump clear out of the water if they are so inclined!

Nice tank btw! I'm going to do a little nano on my desk at work.. soon. I need to get a cherry or two for it! They are more fun to look at than the amanos I have IMO.

10gal / Bleeding heart tetras, angel & silver hatchets / Filstar XP2 / 8wpg PC / 2.5lbs of Co2 / Hydor inline
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-25-2005, 08:45 AM Thread Starter

really? I think Amano's are amazing-- so big!

Well, I guess it's a result of circumstance. Back home in Hawai'i, I have a tank devoted to raising Red Cherries and CRS. A lot of breeders keep them. Heck, the streams themselves are over-flowing with invasive wild form "neocaridina denticulata sinensis." I can buy farm raised "wild form" cherry shrimp 15/$1.00-- heck we use them for feeders. Little buggers are more common than native shrimp are.

Amanos on the other hand, have a heavy restriction on them-- they are even more voracious than cherries are, and could reproduce in and invade all the brackish habitats. So to me, having Amanos for the first time seems like a rarity!
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-25-2005, 09:16 AM
Planted Member

great pics!!

Hey there! My computer has been down the past two weeks so I haven't been on to see this until now. Love the pics! I want some cherries so badly but can't even find ghosts around here, let along cherries or amanos. I will have to order some soon. Anyway, good to hear that you are up and running albeit on a very small scale (ha ha) right now. I love the aqua vase. I am jealous at the resources available elsewhere. Fishkeeping seems to be a rarity in Memphis (at least FW is!)

How's school going? Any word on how NO faired through Rita?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode