Hello guys! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-19-2005, 11:03 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Smile Hello guys!

Hi guys ive just signed up to this site. the reason being ive decided to go Planted nano. I currently have two marine nanos (both of which are nothing special) and a 45 gallon reef tank. Any way, at christmas i was lucky enough to recieve a 15 gallon via aqua from santy claus! Any way its been an on/off thing, mainly off, because is takes SO much looking after and so much expense. Ive decided to transform it into a planted nano. Im seeing tall plants at the back due to its tall shape, and a sloped sand-bed covered with java moss and a small amount of driftwood/bog. Ive had tropical before, obviously i wouldnt be on marine now if i hadnt. Id like to add like 3 neons and a small cat fish, not alot, small fish that would hide and youd suddenly see appear outta the plants.... anyway the one problem... because i have had it as a marine setup, its got a 150 watt hallide ocean light on it...I was wondering if i could keep this on it? it doesnt affect the temp too much but i was wondering if it could be used with tropicals? i say this because ive only just purchased it. thanks,

Adam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-20-2005, 01:59 AM

PTrader: (2/100%)
In my limited experience, this is going to be more than enough light. You'll likely have to suspend it well above the tank and you'll need to add CO2 and ferts. Otherwise, I think the plants would suck up all the nutrients in the tank very quickly with this amount of light and after an initial growth spurt, things would probably die off. You would probably not want that much light on for a long period either... unfortunately, I couldn't give you a very good guess on how long to run it... maybe only 8 hours or so?
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-20-2005, 03:40 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
I'd say that's way too much light over a 15 gallon... 150W?? Maybe something like 36 - 45W...

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode