Starting a 2 1/2gal .....questions - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-17-2005, 05:11 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (33/100%)
Starting a 2 1/2gal .....questions

Hi all,
I am starting a little tank of my own in the next week. I have a 12"x6"x8" tank(2 1/2gal), 9" freshwater aqualight(18watts), nano power filter, hydor nano heater, ecocomplete substrate, and thats it. I am going to put HC as my main plant maybe java moss or something in that nature. A tiny piece of driftwood and some sort of rock(if I find what Im looking for) will also be added. Will the 6WPG cook the java moss?
As far as supplements go I plan on using flourish excel for my co2 and dont know where to go from there. Any suggestions for my macros and trace? I have GW fert for my 55gal, will these work on the nano?
I also have kent botanica Phosphate, Nitrogen, Potassium, and iron supplement that the LFS gave me to try. If I stick with the all of the above except the nitro and use flourish Trace will this work?
For my live stock Ill probably have 2-3amanos & cherries and 3-4 cardinals.

I want top aquascape to where its got a hill effect how should I go about this? Should I stick with just the rock or wood? Or do them both? Thanks!
-Pete
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-22-2005, 04:29 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks for the great feedback! Just kidding, This is my new set up. I have HC on the way for my foreground. How do you guys think of some hairgrass in there. Where sould I place it if I get some? I didnt go with the hills effect after all. Here are some pics

post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-22-2005, 08:29 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
I think the hairgrass would look nice placed in the centre, between the rocks with HC going around everything...

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-22-2005, 10:06 AM
Planted Member

have it tall in the left corner sloping down towards the rocks. nice tank i have a 2.5 nano also with hairgrass hope to get some pics up soon
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-22-2005, 11:28 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (86/100%)
Dwarf hairgrass will get a little too big for the tank, you could try glosso.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-22-2005, 02:59 PM
Planted Member

it wont get long if he trims it short enough though will it
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-22-2005, 03:05 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (86/100%)
If he were to do a dwarf hairgrass tank, parvula would fit him best. If it was the other sp. then 4-6" tall dwarf hairgrass in a tank thats 9" tall won't look good.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-22-2005, 08:53 PM
Planted Member

I love the set up. Can't advise on the plants.....I'm a newbie at the nano thing myself. Can't wait to see what you do.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-22-2005, 09:13 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Are you planning on using Co2? or ferts?

The reason I ask is because with your current lighting the tank will become an algae farm before you know it. I know from first hand what 18w of light can do over a 2.5g with no Co2 or ferts.
I basically have the same setup for my cherry shrimp tank. 2.5g, aqualight 18w and a nano filter. I am also using a mix of EC and TMS. I also started with harigrass and HC..which all got thrown away when it got fully ingulfed in algae.

Since then ive replanted with baby tears and some some ambula nana and a small peice of driftwood with some moss on it then I unplugged one of the 9w lights for a total of only 9w on the tank and everything couldnt be better. I have no Co2 no ferts except some tabs in the substrate and everything grows nice and slow. The baby tears even grow along the substraight instead of straight up. im trying to get it to cover the bottom. but as I said with no ferts and 9w's things grow slow.

Just my $.02

My tanks:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 10g - 5g - 2.5g
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-22-2005, 11:35 PM

PTrader: (3/100%)
Wow, that is A LOT of fish for a 2.5. Definitly overcrowding it. Even if the tank was heavily planted and all the fish survived, I still HIGHLY doubt they would be happy. Having lots of plants is not a substitute for having too small of a tank.

Anyway, I am new and all to plants, but from the basic art classes I've taken, and reading some Amano, having the rocks dead center is not really that aesthetically pleasing. Maybe you can move them off a little to one side or the other, or both. Just a suggestion.
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-22-2005, 11:45 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (40/100%)
Pete,
I have a 12 gal nano cube with 2wpg for appr 8mo.Riccia covered rocksurrounding small driftwood peicew/java fern& moss growing on it.
I use this as my plant nursery. I have E stellata,rotala,&ludwigia repens trimmed for color. The peice of HC you gave me is in there,covering about 3 sq in.
I do 40% water change weekly,add 1/8 tsp k2so4 and 1/8 kno3 once mid week,add 1-2 ml micro weekly and 1-2 ml Flourish excel nearly every day.
FULL of shrimp and 3 pygmy cories.
never had any kind of algae.
The excel adds the co2 and minimum ferts for shrimp.
Dean

75 Gal Discus,Crypts,Bacopa,Vals,Ludwigia,Java Fern,Hygro+2 Swords,Alternanthera,java moss ,anubias,P.stellata,lotus
12 Gal Nano, Shrimp,Pygmy Corys,Riccia, Ludwigia,, crypts, HC,nana petite
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-23-2005, 04:57 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

love the r ocks
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-23-2005, 10:34 AM

PTrader: (7/100%)
wpg rule doesn't work with tanks under 30g. Still, 18 watt is not bad, say medium strength.

The rock scape is strong-- though I would add 1 0r 3 more. 4 is unbalanced, and bad luck . . . (asian aquascapers/rock scapers don't use 4 rocks because the word "four" sounds like the word "death" in chinese and japanese). I would have to say the hair grass around the rocks themselves would look nice, but it would be better if they were stretched into the HC field as well.
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-24-2005, 01:55 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks guys for all the great feed back!

As far as overstocking goes that was a given from the get go and moved some out the day of these pictures. I just had them in there to get a glance as to how many was too many. They are all in my 55gal back with their respected buddies.
Dont know what was meant by too many plants in one of the feedback posts but I only plan on having two(2).

With ferts I want to use the kent botanica line with my macros and flourish for my trace and excel. The reason for the kent on the macros is because its free . No favorites, just get it free from the LFS.

I will play the watch and see game on how my lights are to the algae. Like I said this is my first nano so I am not too sure how these lights will take ahold on the tank. The feedback you guys provided is jotted down.

As for the rocks I have 5 total. 3 big 2 small, or do the little ones not count ? I wanted to put them off on one of the sides but just decided to have my tank layout like this(from left to right): Plants ont the left, plants and rocks mixed int the center, and plants on the right.

I am pretty pleased with it so far.

Give me some pointers on lets say if I went with HC and hairgrass
or if I went with just HC. How would you guys lay it out?

-Pete
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-24-2005, 06:25 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
I tried dwarf hairgrass in my 2.5 with the same lighting and it didn't work, hardly any growth. Baby tears is the best growing plant in my 2.5 along with taiwan moss.

The growth is very slow, I put some ambulia in the tank a month ago and it has yet to reach the surface. Try baby tears if you can get some.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode