Spongebob Nano - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-16-2005, 02:05 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Spongebob Nano

Hello to all! My 6 year old begged me for months to buy this small spongebob tank. He kept wanting to add tacky ornaments to our saltwater tank, but that was simply not going to happen. (I like the live yellow sponge and other residents in our saltwater tank to look natural.) I tried to persuade him to get a 6 gallon Eclipse or larger, but he really wanted this tank. It is home to a pair of (freshwater) paradise fish, a java fern attached to lava rock and petrified wood, and a snail that hitchhiked on the java fern. We added a 7 watt compact flourescent clip on lamp for lighting. The tank did not come with a light. So, here is our spongebob tank.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-16-2005, 02:40 AM
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)
Welcome to the board, Leeanna! Glad you joined us!

Hey! If the six year old love the Spongebob aquarium, then I love the Spongebob aquarium! It is his own little world and if it makes him happy then God bless him!

He must have been thrilled when you finally bought it for him.

Mike

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-16-2005, 01:22 PM

PTrader: (2/100%)
Thumbs up Finally!!!!

AHA!!!

Someone has FINALLY thrown down the gauntlet and challenged me to a Sillyscape Contest!

YESSSS! I am ready---Mike, Is it Time?????

Bring it ON!

Figgy

PS Leanna--Your Bobtank is too cool!

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-16-2005, 04:02 PM Thread Starter

Since you seem to like the sillyscape , here are a few more pictures of it. Maybe we will grow some java fern on spongebob's head in the future . I think it would look better with coralline or star polyps, but that would not work very well with the current setup. At least I was able to persuade my 6 year old to buy relatively hardy inhabitants for his tank. The java fern reminds me of spongebob's pineapple. It has stylistic consistency.

post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-16-2005, 05:55 PM

PTrader: (1/100%)
I'm eagerly awaiting a sillyscape contest, too! Love the Spongebob tank!
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-16-2005, 10:04 PM
Planted Member

Isnt the tank a bit too small for the poor fish?
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-17-2005, 01:18 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerJoe
Isnt the tank a bit too small for the poor fish?

Do you think the tank is too small for the poor tank raised fish? The fish are 1.5 inches each. The tank does seem much too small for the adult size of the common goldfish, which is 12 inches. It's relative. The paradise fish's adult size is about 2-4 inches. There is a much larger tank in storage available for them as they grow. Goldfish were advised by the manufacturer. In the past, paradise fish were commonly kept like bettas.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-17-2005, 01:26 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
In the past, paradise fish were commonly kept like bettas
Thats true, they survive with very low levels of oxygen in the water much like a betta.

I hope my wife dont see this thread...she will want me to put a spongebob in my tank

Sillyscape contest huh figgy? Winter months is comin, it may be time to play.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-17-2005, 01:43 AM Thread Starter

By the way, both of the Paradise Fish had multiple fin injuries when purchased. After I rescued them from the evil fish store, they healed nicely. Their coloration has improved dramatically since they have been living with Spongebob, and they seem to like each other. Do these fish make audible sounds, or am I hearing things?
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-01-2005, 01:26 PM Thread Starter

I moved the pair of Paradise Fish, Spongebob, and java fern to a larger tank. My son has asked me to paint a Spongebob background for the larger tank. The PF are much more active with more swimming room, but the bigger tank would look better with a few more plants.
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-01-2005, 02:01 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to chadly
love those fish, very pretty. Have fun w/ that tank and don't hold back teaching your kid about scapeing and aesthetics. Oh, and don't for get about harmonizing the spongebob lair. LOL good luck w/ it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Join today!

post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-02-2005, 02:00 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (84/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeanna
We added a 7 watt compact flourescent clip on lamp for lighting. The tank did not come with a light. So, here is our spongebob tank.

Where did you get this light?

-Brian

FILSTAR#88
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-02-2005, 07:08 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeanna
I moved the pair of Paradise Fish, Spongebob, and java fern to a larger tank. My son has asked me to paint a Spongebob background for the larger tank. The PF are much more active with more swimming room, but the bigger tank would look better with a few more plants.
Have you got an updated photo (with or without Sponge B?) I'd love to see what you've done with them now. Have you scaped the tank?
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-03-2005, 02:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgssamson
Where did you get this light?

-Brian
It came from the LFS. It is a light made by Red Sea called a 'Dragon Light.'
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-03-2005, 03:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mississippimorning
Have you got an updated photo (with or without Sponge B?) I'd love to see what you've done with them now. Have you scaped the tank?

I just transferred the contents of the 2 gallon tank to a 10 gallon tank and have not really scaped it yet. The tank needs some more plants. The java fern has grown about 8 or more new java ferns. So, I'm sure they'll grow larger with time. You may be able to see the small javas in the picture. Some of them are still attached to the mother plant. I am considering adding some moss, or some other live plants, or possibly some more petrified wood or cave rocks that are in storage.

Anyway, here is a picture of the Paradise Fish in their new home. When I realized how intelligent these fish seem to be, I had to move them to a larger tank. Yes, they do make audible sounds, and they can even be trained to jump through hoops!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode