Plans for a 5.5 Gallon Nano - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-07-2005, 06:09 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (30/100%)
Plans for a 5.5 Gallon Nano

I am planning on starting a 5.5 gallon nano. So far I have just the tank, the driftwood and the gravel. The gravel is a mixture of plain black gravel and black moon sand with root tabs. The driftwood is setup as shown in the photos and cannot really be changes because it is really fit into the only really practical way right now. It just fits in the tank and it can't really be moved, but I like it where it is now anyway. I hopefully can find a nano filter at That Fish Place this afternoon. I will only keep shrimp and plants in this tank, so its probably not too important. Here is the pictures of the layout with the driftwood:

I am trying to find a good foreground plant for in front of the driftwood on the right. Its a small area and I don't want to cover the driftwood too much so that rules out hairgrass. Seems like my choices are glosso (which I have plenty of), HC, java moss, or Elatine triandra. Unless anyone could think of another option.

I'm also trying to decide whether or not to plant the driftwood or leave it unplanted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-07-2005, 06:14 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (86/100%)
Nice setup, I love the driftwood piece. I would suggest dwarf sagitaria as a foreground plant, and attach some anubias on the dirftwood, then some stem plants in the back. I assume the reflectors is for this tank?
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-07-2005, 06:59 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (30/100%)
Quote:
I assume the reflectors is for this tank?
Yeah. I just refinished the outside of a wooden canopy I built a few years back and cleaned out the inside. It will have the two reflectors with one 19 wattc.f. screw-in type bulb each. So it will be 38 watts over 5.5 gallons (about 7 wpg , not that it really counts).

As for the plants, your suggestion of dwarf sag got me thinking. I think I'll put some in on the far left in the corner area behind the wood and probably use glosso or something shorter in front of the wood. I will also attach some anubias nana 'petite' to the wood, but not cover it too much. I really want a lot of that wood to show. I really love the look of it right now. I just have to wait a few days for it to be completely waterlogged before I can plant much.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode