Lighting for eclipse 12 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-03-2005, 09:04 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Lighting for eclipse 12

Hi, i recently bought an eclipse 12, tried to cancel it before they shipped it out so i could buy a nanocube, but didnt quite make it... anyway, i was going to get the cube for a nano reef, but i have now decided in my current position that would be too demanding... and too much money, so now i think ill keep the eclipse and have a planted FW tank... the question is.. how much light do i really need to grow the majority of plants i'll find at the LFS... would the 2 13w bulb retro from here be enough? http://www.ahsupply.com/twox.htm ... i realize that it is still really just 13w, not 26.... but what do i actually need? about the only other common retro im finding is the 96w powerquad.. which is insane.. and way too much money... maybe someone knows of a retro that is in between these 2? anyway, thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-03-2005, 09:20 PM

AHsupply sells 36/55/96w retrokits.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-03-2005, 11:10 PM Thread Starter

well, what i guess im asking is if anyone has used any of the larger kits, such as the 36, which is one i was looking at and how they installed it, clearance and such, i havent actually seen the inside of the hood yet so im not sure what measurements and all i need

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-04-2005, 07:11 AM
Planted Member

Ahsupply kits are good for what they are, just a pc light. The real deal of their site are their reflectors. The rest you can get at radio shack and the lights from your LFS. This will save on shipping.

"Even if I died in the service of the nation, I would be proud of it. Every drop of my blood... will contribute to the growth of this nation and to make it strong and dynamic."
Indira Gandhi

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-05-2005, 07:11 AM
Planted Member

The 36 watt is a exact fit. You can even cram two without a reflector if you have the twin light version of the eclipse hood (2X15w) like in the link at the end of this post.

I currently run a ahsupply 36watt bright kit in my Eclipse 1 hood (comes in 12g kit) and its worked great. The reflector does have to be trimmed to fit the splash shield, other then that its an exact fit. Just make sure to keep the co2 level in the tank up or your going to run into algae problems. Also be careful when lifting the hood with the new light since it going to have some extra weight, don't let it slam shut cause it can crack the splash shield with the impact.... lol, and yes mine is cracked because i wasn't careful.

You can either use this site to help with the install of a ahsupply kit or just piece it together from scratch like they did. Good luck and post up the results.

http://www.inlandreef.com/eclipse.html

Eheim Pimp Club member #113

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-07-2005, 03:25 AM Thread Starter

got both my tank and the 36w ahsupply kit today, quick painless install, perfect fit with no trimming needed, will post pics when i have something in the tank other than a cloud of sand/onyx .. the stock eclipse 12 lighting is absolutely pathetic... i was going to put it on a 6 gal that just had a 10w walmart bulb (the built in ballast type) but it didn't even look half as bright as that over the 6 gal....

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode