Plants for 2.5 Nano? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-03-2005, 11:19 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (1/100%)
Plants for 2.5 Nano?

I have a 2.5 Mini Bow aquarium and plan to replace the 15w incandescent bulb with a 10w 6500k compact flourescent. The tank houses cherry shrimp. Right now I just have some hornwort in there for some baby cherries to cling to, but I'd eventually like to do something more deliberate in terms of aquascaping. Would these plants be okay, given the size of the tank, the inhabitants, and the lighting I'm planning?

glosso
crypt lucen
dwarf chain sword
anubias petite nana

Is there anything that makes a nice background plant in a tank this size? I don't want to be pruning every week, but at the same time, I'd like to cover up the filter and provide a little backdrop effect.

Also, this tank came with a Whisper in-tank filter, which seems to work fine so far and I like that the low-flow setting doesn't seem to let the filter bother the baby shrimp. But it does take up some in-tank space. Would a Whisper 10 hang-on-back filter work on this tank? If so, it's only about $10 and uses the same filter cartridges as the filter I have, so I might give that a shot, putting something over the intake, of course, to keep the cherry babies safe.

Thanks for any advice for this newbie to nanos. I didn't plan to get this tank started, but found baby cherries in my filter from my lone cherry shrimp in my 29 gallon tank (she was carrying eggs when I got her) so away we go!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-09-2005, 01:20 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
While I was using a 10-watt screw-in PC bulb over my 2.5-gallon tank (mine is an All-Glass Aquarium), it caused some nasty green spot algae to crust all over my petit Anubias (as well as most everything else in the tank). Glosso will probably grow fine, but you might want to inject CO2 or dose some Excel for good measure. Most crypts will get too big, with the exception of C. parva. But if you want something to add a bit of red, you could try C. x willisii. Dwarf chain sword might also get a little too tall... Have you considered Ranalisma rostrata? It's just like chain sword, only shorter and never gets red. It might be slightly fussier about conditions. There is a variety of chain sword called E. tenellus 'broad leaf' (not to be mistaken with E. quadricostatus) and when I kept it, it was just a little shorter than "micro" E. tenellus. It does get bigger than Ranalisma, though.

Another thing I hated about the screw-in PC bulb was the extremely uneven distribution of light. I was using it in an incandescent 12" All-Glass strip light fixture, so all of the light was skewed to one side, and it was quite dark on the other. If this is going to be the case for you, try placing the petit Anubias in a "darker" area.

Good luck! And congrats on the cherry shrimp babies!

-Naomi
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-09-2005, 01:57 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (9/100%)
Send a message via AIM to pipefish
for the backdrop some dwarf hairgrass would be a good idea but i dont know if you'd like it or not :/

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-09-2005, 02:34 AM

I have the same mini bow tank, (use it for a mini reef), I replaced the whisper filter with the Aquaclear-mini. It fits perfect and keeps the water like crystal. Can't help with the plants, though--I am new with planted!
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-09-2005, 11:50 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the information, everyone -- I'll look into getting the Aquaclear Mini. I'm glad to know of a filter that works well and fits this tank without modifications -- that internal filter that comes with the kit really takes up a lot of tank space!

I replaced the incandescent 15w bulb that came with the tank with a 9w compact flourescent screw-in. I will upgrade to the 10w 6500k at some point, since the bulb I got is a "warm white," but I figure it's almost 3x as much light as the incandescent and it was readily available, so it was worth a shot.

Thanks for all the plant suggestions. I have some dwarf hairgrass in my main tank and like it -- maybe I'll use some here as well. Right now I have the hornwort and a couple of baby crypts from my big tank (a lucens and a wendtii, I think -- they're still tiny), plus a few sprigs of wisteria and bacopa monnieri that I put in for the baby shrimp to cling to. In other words, it's a mish-mash and a mess right now! But I'll get it spiffed up eventually.

Any good ideas for sources for small crypts? I haven't seen c. parva or c. willisi at the online retailers I've checked, and unlike stem plants, crypts don't often show up on the swap-n-shop here. I rather like crypts and have considered adding quite a few more to my 29 gallon, so I'd love to find a source for some unusual ones.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-10-2005, 03:05 AM
Planted Member

Glosso tends to grow upwards if there's not enough light and I feel that in a small tank like yours, the leaf sizes tend to look too big. Glosso is also a pretty fast grower and pruning will be a PITA to keep in check. I would prefer HC(Hemianthus callitrichoides) as a foreground instead. It stays compact and if water temps are low enough(25C for example), it will do great... Have you thought about Java ferns as a bg plant instead for your nano?
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-10-2005, 10:34 AM

PS I found a really tiny adjustable thermostat heater at Walmart for like 3.99 It is called the Junior Heater, and made by Junior Aquatics. I also found Aquarium cleaning brushes-4 of different sizes for 5.00, and 1.99 thermometers.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-10-2005, 11:52 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the additional advice, everyone.

The HC sounds perfect for my tank -- I am keeping the water on the cool side since it's a shrimp-only tank and they don't need the higher temps. Any ideas on a good source for that plant or for crypts like parva and willisi? I suppose I can check the Swap-n-Shop.

I do have some java fern in my 29 gallon tank that has put out a lot of plantlets, and I could certainly use that in my 2.5 gallon nano.

Keep the suggestions coming -- I'm learning a lot! And thanks again.
-- Kathy
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-10-2005, 05:45 PM

PTrader: (2/100%)
Just for another filter option, take a look at the Red Sea Deco Art Nano Filter...

http://www.bigalsonline.com/catalog/...tegory_id=2989

First two on the list.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-10-2005, 11:31 PM Thread Starter

Any idea whether the Red Sea or Aquaclear filter would be better for a tank with baby cherry shrimp in it? (ie. which one would be easiest to cover the intake with a sponge or some other strategy to keep little shrimp from being sucked into the filter?)

And is there a difference in flow? I know that with the internal Whisper filter that came with my 2.5 gallon Mini-bow, I've found that the lowest setting results in a lot of surface scum , while higher settings result in a lot of turbulence. I'm having good luck right now with one notch above the lowest setting, but I'm discovering that in 2.5 gallons of water, you really have to watch the flow or you wind up with some serious currents!

Thanks for any suggestions about which filter might be most suitable to the size and inhabitants of my little tank!
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-11-2005, 12:06 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
I use the redsea nano filter with a sponge over the intake and it works great.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-11-2005, 12:42 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (30/100%)
Another vote for the RedSea Nano Filter. They work great. If you go with something bigger than that look for a filter that has an adjustable flow.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-19-2005, 01:38 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
I also use the Red Sea nano filter from a recommendation here. It creates very minimal current on its lowest flow setting and with the water level always kept high.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-23-2005, 03:11 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice everyone. I think I'll go with the Red Sea nano filter as well. I can't seem to find it around here, so I'll probably have to order it. Would you go with the clear or the black in a MiniBow? (I'm leaning toward black as I have black paper taped on as a background right now, planning to use a black piece of plastic aquarium background material eventually, but I wasn't sure if the clear might be less noticable). I need to order Flourish Excel anyway (running low) so I'll probably pick up a new filter in the next month or so. The Whisper internal just takes up so much room in that little tank!

I also found a 10w 6500k mini fluorescent aquarium bulb by Lights of America that I put in there today. It looks decidedly bluer than the 9w warm bulb and therefore less bright, but I'm sure it's actually brighter than it was before thanks to the extra watt. Should this be sufficient for most plants?

The baby cherries are doing great (in fact there are now more!) and I added one of my mystery snails to the tank to add a bit more bioload to create nitrogen for the plants. So far, all is growing well. I have a small java fern, some hornwort, and some wisteria and bacopa from my main tank, as well as 2 small crypts that will eventually get too big, but look nice for now. I'll be looking for the plants you all have recommended when I'm ready to seriously aquascape!

Thanks gain for all the help...pics soon.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-23-2005, 08:44 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncskainch
I also found a 10w 6500k mini fluorescent aquarium bulb by Lights of America that I put in there today. It looks decidedly bluer than the 9w warm bulb and therefore less bright, but I'm sure it's actually brighter than it was before thanks to the extra watt. Should this be sufficient for most plants?
Glad you were able to find that bulb, Kathy. I think it made a huge difference in my tank. Infact, both my anacharis and anubias are both sending out new growth. My betta hates the ELITE filter I have in there so I may have to change it out for the Red Sea Nano (which is what I wanted in the first place.)

As far as it being "enough" light, the jury is still out on that one. I am still studying the WPG thing and I'm know good at math!

Blessings, Dawn

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode