Aqua Design Amano - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-03-2005, 10:24 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (101/100%)
I'm with Graffix

I'm with Graffix...

$100 or more for a pair of scissors is crazy! I bought a set from Foster myself too...scissor, tweezer, and a "rake" for $35!

My cousin has the scissors from Amano....I don't see anything different.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-04-2005, 02:33 AM

PTrader: (2/100%)
Different strokes for different folks. Some people desire the quality that ADA offers and others don't. I can tell you that those $100 tools will be used with pride by your aging grandchildren as they are made of German Steel, the same quality that professional grade chefs knives are made from. They hold the edge seemingly forever where the lesser expensive one from the good Dr's do wear out. I know, I've dulled mine on a bit over 2 years.

Just because it is out of the range you desire to spend its not fair to knock them with out all the facts.
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-04-2005, 02:59 AM
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by By a lot of people...more or less!
$100 or more for a pair of scissors is crazy!
I deal with stainless steel instruments everyday. Scissors, tweezers, hemostats, I use them all. Let me tell you guys something, $100 for a pair of manageable, sharp, quality stainless steel scissors is an absolute bargain! I have paid over $100 for a pair of simple 5 1/2" sharp/sharp dissecting scissors. A pair of the long scissors like ADA offers of the same quality would be well over $100. In fact, I can't even imagine what a pair of scissors like that might cost.

You might want to get on ADA prices on some items, but don't get on them over their prices on quality stainless steel. If you have any experience with these things outside of the hobby, you just wouldn't do it.

Mike

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-04-2005, 03:11 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Perfectly stated, both of you!

My motto is this: you get what you pay for. Plain and simple. That goes for anything from computers to Italian leather shoes to automobiles to aquatic plant pruning scissors to furniture to clothing to cuisine to a hotel room. The more money you spend, the better ___ you get. Saying that a $100 pair of scissors is no better than a cheap pair is like saying that a Cadillac is no better than a Hyundai or a Toyota.
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-05-2005, 04:11 PM
Algae Grower

Hum I hope ADA equipment lives up to the standard you guys are raising them to. Maybe one day if I won the lottari I give it a try. As for the cheaper ones, I have to say that I was rather disappointed in them. Mine dull after 6 months of use.
post #21 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-05-2005, 04:53 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (267/100%)
I'm not sure, I can dull any pair scissors, does not matter the cost.

I cut meat for 12 years, 8 hours a day, does not matter what type of metal, who makes etc, they need sharpened or they go dull with use.

I think what ADA really offers a place like ADG is the set up ease.
Who wants to get 12 things from 12 different makers? And have them intrgrate well together and get the set up done fast and well with fewer hitches?

If you have the clients that will pay for it, and you have an example to show for the sale, you'll get the sale.

The on going maintenance is another story.........one two years down the road.........

But the products are very good and you get what you pay for. I've been extremely happy with my 3$ scissors, they last about 1-2 years if you wipe them clean, longer if you sharpen them, my tweezers are nice also, they are about 9 years old now.

Paid 6$ for the 12" pair and 35$ for 24" pair. I use a plain old plastic paint scaper quite well vs a metal version of ADA's. I cannot rationaize a need for 100$ pairs of tweezers etc, my hands are the best tools anyway.

But I could rationalize other products from ADA.
If a well heeled customer wanted something like this, then it would make sense.

I know enough to side step some of the products handily and get the same results, but that is not to say you do not get what you pay for, they charge a fair price for the products they sell.

You may or may not wish to pay that much for something, a nice pair of tweezers will not make your scape look better. No tool will do that for you.

My fingers and motivation can do anything I need for scaping.
Throwing $ at something is not always the solution for success.

But nice things are fun and look good. If you have the $, the items are worth the $, I'm not really interested after having done the Dupla stuff full blown, they had a similar reaction to their $$$ when they came to the USA.

Like ADA, they had a very tough time establishing here back in the 1980's.
I do not think any of you were keeping fully planted tanks back then?

I did 2 full blown set ups.
4000$ a piece(no labor), custom glass tanks etc.
An aDa tank would run a bit more for a similar size, so that's not bad.

So the cost is likely close if you add everything up.
But the ADA line is very nice compared to the Dupla(which is nothing to snuff at).

If you were top pick a line, ADA would be the one to go with.
Some items might not be useful, some may.
You can spend a lot of $$$$ figuring out which you will find worth while and which are not..........

I'd be careful there.

Regards,
Tom Barr

post #22 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-05-2005, 11:04 PM
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)
Quote:
I cut meat for 12 years, 8 hours a day, does not matter what type of metal, who makes etc, they need sharpened or they go dull with use.
Cheap stainless...my pet peeve!

All metal instruments will go dull, but you know as well as I that better quality metals will hold an edge longer and need to be sharpened less frequently. No one knows a knife like a meat cutter.

Which will hold an edge longer, those $3 stainless steel scissors (the ones that rust) you buy at the hardware store check out, or a pair of Tungsten Carbon scissors? There is no comparison between the two in my experiences. There has to be a reason surgeons and barbers and other people who use scissors for a reason use these high quality instruments.

When I use the hardware store quality stainless steel scissors it is like cutting a piece of paper with a stone.

Most people are not experienced in sharpening scissors. I wouldn't bother sharpening the $3 scissors. I have tossed more pairs of those scissors than I care to remember.

As I said earlier, I use the same style instruments we use for aquascaping everyday. I can tell a quality instrument the second it hits my hand. I could probably tell good form bad with my eyes closed, just by manipulating the instrument.

Now, I feel the way I do because I use these things by trade. I am referring to my own experiences with various grades of steel instruments.

For our aquascaping applications, any pair of scissors or tweezers, or hemostats will do. You can buy a $3 pair of scissors, or you can buy a $300 pair of scissors. They will accomplish the same thing. I do believe the more expensive, higher quality steel instruments will last longer and perform better as I have that practical experience. But does it really matter for an aquascaping application?

I own and use both kinds of instruments for aquascaping.

However, it is up to the individual. Buy what you want....it is your money after all!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #23 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-11-2005, 08:45 AM

I get some exquisite tools out of my dissection kits at the morgue where I work. Most of the interns don't know what to do with them and they leave them with me....

Figs
post #24 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-11-2005, 10:11 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Man I wish they sold the super cool lava rocks they have on adaeurope.com over here, they are awesome!
post #25 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-12-2005, 03:32 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
For a completely different reason, I've got to agree with Momotaro here...

I pursued bonsai for a good many years, and was initially angry at the doh-ray-mee I had to lay out to get decent tools. They were all from Japan, and obscenely expensive for what they were. Or so I thought.

But 10 years later all those tools were still slicing though tough bark like butter. And were still as tight and precise as the day I bought them.

I can't speak for ADA products. I've never touched one. But if they are indicative of the quality the Japanese demand for their hobby tools, they are probably worth every penny they cost IMO.

Steve - 33g reef and a 180g planted in need of a re-scape.
post #26 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-12-2005, 07:18 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Send a message via MSN to Curare
I have to admit, that coming from a modelling background, having sharp, tight scissors, are a dead set must.

Any prescision tool should, if it's good quality keep it's prescision for as long as you choose to use it.

A fair proportion of my gear is father's, and my grandfather's. Quality tools never go out of style.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Like drops of fertiliser into the tank, so are the days of our CO2...

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode