Planted Member

PTrader: (19/100%)
A recent re-do

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #287 of 410 (permalink) Old 09-12-2016, 07:04 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
How many of you here have had problems with detritus worms on spec setups?

Thanks
post #288 of 410 (permalink) Old 09-12-2016, 08:41 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwolf View Post
How many of you here have had problems with detritus worms on spec setups?

Thanks
what's your definition of problems in this case? I have worms, but see no problem with it. My betta picks them off here and there and aside from that they don't cause any harm.

post #289 of 410 (permalink) Old 09-12-2016, 10:52 PM
Algae Grower

I know that they can't cause any harm, but I am curious to know if this affects all Fluval Specs? But sometimes Planarias can appear also.. it happened with me in the first setup. and they can be harmful..

I have had tanks all my life and never faced any problems with detritus worms, I just don't like to see them climbing my tank... and by the research that I have been doing it's quite common on Spec 3.. Probably due to bad filtration.. My Spec 3 has a betta, and I had to reduce the flow with a Fluval Sponge Pre Filter in the exit of the Pump. It made things worse.. I am trying to figure out a way to improve filtration without affect my Betta..

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenquarium View Post
HI Zenaquarium,

Is your fluval spec 3 full stock? How are you controlling the water flow for your betta? Have you had detritus showing up?

Thanks
post #290 of 410 (permalink) Old 09-16-2016, 06:09 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (19/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by geealexg View Post

"As much as it is challenging to create a healthy and thriving fish tank, there is something fascinating about cultivating miniature ecosystems on a small desk having live fish, shrimps, plants, and micro-infusoria co-existing with one another inside small, enclosed environments. Nano tanks are a constant reminder of the immense power & responsibility that humans have in shaping our natural world and that life thrives within our oceans, rivers, and water bodies within a delicate balance."
(literally--nano tanks can crash faster than larger aquariums)

Latest Fluval Spec V Aquascape (3 months old): Riparian Riverstream Nano Biotope (Southeast Asia) with Celestial Pearl Danios, Emerald Dwarf Danios, Scarlet Badis

Some of the Emerald Dwarf Danios (Celestichthys erythromicron, 2cm in size) sparring:
Part 1: The Staredown.

Part 2: The Wrestling Match.

Some of the Celestial Pearl Danios (Celestichthys margaritatus, 2cm in size) shoaling:

A Scarlet Badis (Dario dario) rising into the light

And it is shocking that CRS/CBS shrimp can actually breed in a 2 Gallon Fluval Spec tank (~5-10 new shrimplets per month).

More New "Enclosed Worlds" incoming...
Very cool
post #291 of 410 (permalink) Old 09-16-2016, 08:24 PM

Here is my Spec V. I have had it running about a month its my first try at a nano tank and planted. I have a finnex planted + 20" light bar, fluval c02 system and 3 stage filter intake. If someone who knows plants could identify the 3 foreground plants I would appreciate it I threw away the plant package names for some dumb reason I cant remember what they are. The plant on the left I thought was supposed to stay small it was the size of the middle plant when everything was added its shooting up fast, I don't think this is a foreground plant I envisioned. I have a betta, 5 neon tetras and 4 ghost shrimp. Tank is cloudy in this picture from water clarifier after stirring up the Amazonian substrate Any feedback comments/advice would be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	specv.jpg
Views:	690
Size:	104.3 KB
ID:	671850  

post #292 of 410 (permalink) Old 10-13-2016, 08:40 PM
Algae Grower

Setting up a spec v for an office tank. Is everyone still recommending the Finnex light? I'm hoping to do low tech medium light tank but want to keep the cost down.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
post #293 of 410 (permalink) Old 10-16-2016, 02:53 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by lasttycoon View Post
Setting up a spec v for an office tank. Is everyone still recommending the Finnex light? I'm hoping to do low tech medium light tank but want to keep the cost down.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Have you received your Spec yet? The upgraded light that comes with the newest version of the Spec's is pretty powerful and you may not need to buy a Finnex.

2 days ago someone posted pictures of their Spec tank, it's upgraded light had grown out a full carpet of dwarf hair grass in 5 weeks without injecting co2. I've seen the new light in person as well and I think it's really bright.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know one thing: that I know nothing
post #294 of 410 (permalink) Old 10-16-2016, 07:39 AM
Prm

Quote:
Originally Posted by proper.noun View Post
Have you received your Spec yet? The upgraded light that comes with the newest version of the Spec's is pretty powerful and you may not need to buy a Finnex.

2 days ago someone posted pictures of their Spec tank, it's upgraded light had grown out a full carpet of dwarf hair grass in 5 weeks without injecting co2. I've seen the new light in person as well and I think it's really bright.

It was jimmeh lee that posted it in the thread that I started, its worth a look. After seeing his spec v I figured I would give the stock lights a try before spending more money.
proper.noun and proper.noun like this.
post #295 of 410 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 06:09 PM
Algae Grower

Here is my recently rescaped Spec V. This picture is day 12 after replanting.

post #296 of 410 (permalink) Old 12-02-2016, 01:49 AM
Algae Grower

Question Please help a beginner out!!!!

I have a Fluval Spec V 5 gallon aquarium and I want to grow a DHG carpet in this tank with an iwagumi aquascape. I plan to use ADA Aquasoil for my substrate and I will probably make a DIY CO2 system.

Question 1:
I'm going to replace the original light that comes with the tank, which light do you recommend for a DHG carpet? The tank is 17.2"L x 6.3"W x 10.6"H and I plan to use ADA Aquasoil. The room it will be in is somewhat bright.

Question 2: How many inches will i need to have of the ADA Aquasoil in order to have a lush DHG carpet?

Question 3: I am planning a dry start, how long do I need to run my light, and when will I be able to flood the tank with water? How many days will I have to mist for?

Question 4: How often will I have to fertilize with API Root Tabs, and do I have to put the root tabs in before I plant my Hairgrass?

Any other advice to help me avoid a rookie mistake would be awesome!
Thanks so much!!
post #297 of 410 (permalink) Old 12-10-2016, 01:49 AM
Algae Grower

Here's mine!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	fts3120916.jpg
Views:	368
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	698762  

Name:	fts120916.jpg
Views:	354
Size:	116.0 KB
ID:	698770  

kolet66, kolet66 and EdTheEdge2 like this.
post #298 of 410 (permalink) Old 12-23-2016, 04:26 PM
Algae Grower

Current Spec V

This tank has been running for nearly 1 year, with many renditions!

In part due to the difficulty of its dimensions, and the need to upgrade the lighting. The dwarf hair grass is not doing too well in the back, so I may need to get a better light if I decide to keep this tank.

Its extremely hard to scape as I've now been told, that the dimensions do not allow for a perfect 'rule of thirds'.
My advice is if you really want to get into aquascaping, do not buy this tank, but go for one of the more expensive cubes.

My favourite view is always on the side of the tank.

Currently, it has the stock light and a short Fluval light in the front, attached to the plastic divider.
There are about 15 mosquito rasboras, 3 shrimp and 5 tetras.
Substrate is Fluval.
Tropica canister CO2
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0827.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	702562  

Name:	IMG_0828.jpg
Views:	305
Size:	113.8 KB
ID:	702570  

Name:	IMG_0829.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	107.6 KB
ID:	702578  

EdTheEdge2 likes this.

Last edited by rootsnshoots; 12-23-2016 at 04:32 PM. Reason: Why are these photos upside down? I can't seem to figure that out!
post #299 of 410 (permalink) Old 12-31-2016, 05:29 PM
Algae Grower

Hi guys, This is my first post here. Just started a planted tank a week ago. I am totally new to the hobby ( thanks to my 5 year old ). First week hasn't been easy. I am using aquasoil so ammonia has been pretty high. I have done 2 50% WC during the week to bring the ammonia levels down. Both times while siphoning the water, st bihar and repens kept popping out of the substrate lol and I am already getting tired of replanting them. Plants are kinda half melting but I do see new growth. Perhaps I should leave the tank alone for the next 2 weeks so the plants can take hold. Well enough rambling. Here is my spec v

post #300 of 410 (permalink) Old 12-31-2016, 05:46 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by zarrow View Post
Hi guys, This is my first post here. Just started a planted tank a week ago. I am totally new to the hobby ( thanks to my 5 year old ). First week hasn't been easy. I am using aquasoil so ammonia has been pretty high. I have done 2 50% WC during the week to bring the ammonia levels down. Both times while siphoning the water, st bihar and repens kept popping out of the substrate lol and I am already getting tired of replanting them. Plants are kinda half melting but I do see new growth. Perhaps I should leave the tank alone for the next 2 weeks so the plants can take hold. Well enough rambling. Here is my spec v

Welcome! I love your aqua scape! I'm hoping to do something similar in the near future

Tags
fluval spec v

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode