Filter rec for 3 gallon hex - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-01-2005, 03:50 PM Thread Starter
eds

PTrader: (8/100%)
Question Filter rec for 3 gallon hex

Can you recommend a specific filter for a tall 3 gallon hex I am planning at work? I'm trying to keep this as cheap as possible.

I was hoping/assuming I could find a very small internal unit - maybe a sponge - or a canister to keep the mechanicals outside the tank. I was planning on heeping the tank covered to reduce evaporation. But I haven't been able to find anything small or cheap enough.

I could try to rig something up with a powerhead, but most of those options seem either cumbersome, pricey, or both.

So far the best options seem to be a HOB - either the Red Sea nano ot Tetra Whisper 10. I can get either for around $10.

As an initial matter, shouldn't I try to avoid a HOB unit to conserve CO2? I'll probably use Excel for CO2.

I'm not sure if either the Red Sea or Tetra units will fit into the limited space I will have at the top of the tank. Each side of the hex is only 3 1/4" wide, and there is 1 5/8" between back edge of the tank and the back of the light fixture. Any thoughts as to which - if either - will fit?

Or any other thoughts as to filters out there?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-01-2005, 05:10 PM

PTrader: (9/100%)
I'd go with the whisper 10. They're extremely cheap and they're pretty reliable. You don't have to worry about conserving CO2 when using Excel. Excel is not CO2 but a carbon compound that the plants can use.

Marcel
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-01-2005, 05:21 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
I have a Azoo Palm filter on the back of my 2.5 gallon hex shrimp tank at work.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...Np=1&N=0&Nty=1

This filter rocks! It works well in small tanks because you can turn the water intake down and it still does a great job at filtering out the dirt and debris. Best of all, it's Cheap!

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-01-2005, 06:28 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
Try Hagen Elite mini filter. It is very small, has regulated powerhead with small foam cartridge in front of the powerhead. This way baby shirmp don't get blitzed by the impeller. I got it for my to-be 2.5 gal shrimp tank. $10 at Petco. Stay away from filters where water flows through the powerhead first, instead of the filter, unless you put extra sponge over the intake grid.

I am trying to find a foam pad ( 10 x 10 or so) with PPI greater than 20 for a small mattenfilter, but haven't had much luck so far.

29g eco, DIY up to 81W PC (55W used), Rena Filstar XP2 Filter
Corkscrew Vals, 2 angels, 4 corydoras aeneus, Ramshorn snails, MTS
5 gal RCS tank with sand bottom, java moss, small internal filter, MTS, Ramshorn snails.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-01-2005, 07:36 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
You could always put a piece of nylon stockings over the intake tube and tie it up with some thin fishing line.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-01-2005, 08:36 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cichlid Junkie
You could always put a piece of nylon stockings over the intake tube and tie it up with some thin fishing line.
Stocking clogs up way too fast, IME.

29g eco, DIY up to 81W PC (55W used), Rena Filstar XP2 Filter
Corkscrew Vals, 2 angels, 4 corydoras aeneus, Ramshorn snails, MTS
5 gal RCS tank with sand bottom, java moss, small internal filter, MTS, Ramshorn snails.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-01-2005, 08:54 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cichlid Junkie
I have a Azoo Palm filter on the back of my 2.5 gallon hex shrimp tank at work.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...Np=1&N=0&Nty=1

This filter rocks! It works well in small tanks because you can turn the water intake down and it still does a great job at filtering out the dirt and debris. Best of all, it's Cheap!
I second the Azoo filter..I also have it on a 2.5 gallon shrimp only tank and it does a great job..it even did a great job with the guppies i had in there before, and their quite messy.

in order to protect the baby shrimp from the intake, or any other fish if thats what you have...I bought a huge block of foam from my LFS and as needed i cut a 1.5x1.5 inch block of it off the big block and then cut a hole in the center but dont go all the way thru then slip that over the intake. it works great and also acts as a biological filter and helps catch the big peices before they even reach the filter. havent lost a shrimp since i put it on. And from the looks of it ill have an almost endless supply of this foam since ive been using the same 1.5 inch block i cut like 3 months ago...just rinse in tank water when doing a water change and put it back on...works great

My tanks:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 10g - 5g - 2.5g

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode