First tank, 5 gallon acrylic - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-17-2012, 03:45 AM Thread Starter
SJW

PTrader: (0/0%)
First tank, 5 gallon acrylic

Hello everyone, this is my first tank ever, well my little brother's actually, but I got it set up for him. It's a 5 gallon starter kit that came with an acrylic tank, a power filter, and a hood. I replaced the incandescent bulb with a 14w 5000k cfl, and added in a heater to keep the temperature steady in the winter because I may have to move the tank to the basement. I have 3 ghost shrimp a goldfish(given away for free at the fair, go figure), and 1 banana plant. The other two are fake plants, but I plant on adding a few more live plants in a few weeks, I'd like to see how the banana plant holds up. What are some good hardy low-light plants, my LFS has moss balls and Java ferns among other plants, are those two good ones?

My aquascaping skills obviously need some work, I kind of just plopped everything down until I get an idea of how I want to set it up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0386.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	132.5 KB
ID:	55477  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-17-2012, 03:50 AM
Algae Grower

Those are both good plants for low light. Anubias is another good one.

5 gallons is way too small for a goldfish though. That fish needs at least a 20 gallon tank.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-17-2012, 04:17 AM Thread Starter
SJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishtankbabe View Post
Those are both good plants for low light. Anubias is another good one.

5 gallons is way too small for a goldfish though. That fish needs at least a 20 gallon tank.
Really? For that small of a fish?

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-17-2012, 04:32 AM
Algae Grower

He's gonna grow, and fast. With proper care, common or comet goldfish can live over 10 years, and reach 12" or more in length. Goldfish are extremely dirty fish, produce a lot of waste, and need much more filtration than most tropical fish (at least 10 times the tank volume per hour).

Here is a great site if you want to learn more about keeping goldfish: http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-17-2012, 04:41 AM Thread Starter
SJW

http://www.amazon.com/Aqua-tech-Powe.../dp/B002CG3L9M

I've also got a question about this power filter, is it possible to avoid buying the expensive cartridges by just filling a stocking with some activated carbon and twist-tying it closed, then putting it inside? I've got a big container of activated charcoal around.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-17-2012, 04:42 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Yeah goldfish produce A lot of waste & that tank is to small for it. I'm doing fine with 3 pea puffers in an 8 gallon I'm sure you could keep one in there or two if you plant it heavily.I think you could grow quite a bit of plants with that much light. I'm using 15 watt cfl 6500k over an 8 gallon & I grow rotala indica, anubias, java moss, cardamine lycatra, water sprite, water wisteria
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-17-2012, 05:39 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJW View Post
http://www.amazon.com/Aqua-tech-Powe.../dp/B002CG3L9M

I've also got a question about this power filter, is it possible to avoid buying the expensive cartridges by just filling a stocking with some activated carbon and twist-tying it closed, then putting it inside? I've got a big container of activated charcoal around.
You don't need carbon unless you're trying to remove a medication or something from the water. It's just a way for those companies to make more money by making you think you need to keep buying their inserts. The carbon can become detrimental if left in the tank longer than 6 weeks, so best to just leave it out altogether, unless you need it for a specific purpose.

Just use some filter floss or foam, and get something for biological filtration, like this: http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=2754140
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-22-2012, 03:22 AM Thread Starter
SJW

Got a 6 pack of filters off Amazon, I got the penguin A size filters, same size but cheaper. Is it all right to let the goldfish live in the 5 gallon tank until it gets bigger? If not, I can always look around for a cheap 20 gallon on Craigslist or something. It seems like a very healthy fish, extremely energetic and hardy. The plant has been fine, I'll be getting some more plants from the LFS soon.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-22-2012, 12:48 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (499/100%)
I would encourage you to do more reading and searching on this forum to understand the needs of goldfish and the basics of maintaining a planted aquarium.

Goldfish typically do not need a heater, so be sure you do more research.

You don't change your filter media, you merely rinse it out. When you replace filter media, you're throwing away the bacteria that actually process the waste your fish creates.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-23-2012, 04:21 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
I would encourage you to do more reading and searching on this forum to understand the needs of goldfish and the basics of maintaining a planted aquarium.

Goldfish typically do not need a heater, so be sure you do more research.

You don't change your filter media, you merely rinse it out. When you replace filter media, you're throwing away the bacteria that actually process the waste your fish creates.

I agree with somewhatshocked

110g Tropical Community & Sakura Shrimp
55g BN Breeding Grounds, Peacock Gudgeons, Panda, Pygmies, & Smudge Spot Cories, Rili Shrimp
10g RCS and show guppies

-
-

Tags
5 gallon, first tank, goldfish

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode