Slow Bowl - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-15-2012, 02:07 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
Slow Bowl

So I have seen some many bowls and love them very much so found a coupon for %50 off at acmore, off to michaels and bam now i have a 10inch bowl. Yes they do take acmore coupons at michaels. (fun fact)

I wanted a lower light setup so it could be used for my sons room his night light. Right now I am doing a dry start. The only plants I want is hairgrass, gaint in the background drawf in front and rock lol. Waiting on the gaint for the sides of the rock but now on to the pitcures becuase by now already lost most of you looking for pictures.

SPECS

tank: 10inch bowl
lighting: Ikea led light
Substrate: Flourite Regular
Plants: Drwaf hair grass (gaint hair grass coming soon)
Life: None for now maybe betta or some cherry shrimps from my other tank.

Sorry for the crappy cell phone pictures but it is what it is. I did however replanted the hairgrass smaller protions and will be posting more pitcures up later but progessive will be slow
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-15-2012, 02:11 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Also it gets direct sunlight for 3 hours
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-15-2012, 05:59 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Should look amazing once it's filled--but I'd warn against allowing direct sunlight to actually land *on* the bowl. Makes for major algae issues and it can send temperatures skyrocketing even in a temperature controlled room.

Indirect light is fine--even just the dappling of a tree outside the window or the shading provided by a lace curtain can be enough to break things up--but if the sunlight is a strongly defined patch hitting the tank? Not good.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-15-2012, 06:30 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

well it is only for the drystart. Once I go flood it will be in a spot where no sunlight hits it. Made that mistake with my 5.5 shrimp tank but thank you
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-15-2012, 08:14 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Excellent--hate seeing folks give up on bowls like this due to easily avoided problems.

By chance did you check out how the rock looked with the bowl filled before you set up the DSM? I'm always surprised at how huge things look once the magnification factor kicks in. This would look really awesome with cherries--they'll love crawling all over that rock.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-15-2012, 08:22 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
In was thinking of doing something similar.

With regards to putting in shrimp, should I let the water sit for a few days and do a few little water changes before adding anything?

I hear about "cycling" here all the time but I am not sure if shrimp need that? Was thinking RCS or maybe a few ghost shrimp it Petsmart doesn't have any RCS.

Last edited by golfer_d; 10-16-2012 at 06:30 AM. Reason: typo
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012, 02:38 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I was thinking the same thing but its up to my boy. I moved the nemo tank (saltwater 10 gal.) out and told he could pick betta or shrimp
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012, 02:39 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I always let my tank setup and run for while before putting anything in it
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012, 05:43 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)
Shrimp can be fussy in new tanks. I would recommend letting it run for a few weeks. I had one loss after putting them in a 2 week old tank I was cycling with fish food, and I was doing daily water changes. I have a similar set up, in a 4g hexagonal set up with a big rock in the middle but it has a hole cut out to make a little cave. Wish I had done a dry start method with my plants, trying to plant in that cramped space with the rock taking up all the room was difficult! Hope you enjoy your bowl!
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012, 12:42 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thank you I am very excited but its not called slow bowl for nothing
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012, 01:42 PM
Algae Grower

I was thinking about doing a dry start like this one on the random tank I found in the attic the other week. I'm making it for Jess so I'm sure she is going to want a beta in it.

How long have you had yours running for now?
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012, 04:48 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I had the dry start going for 3ish weeks, I can see the roots taking off and saw my first new runner poking out but i want to fill in very nice before flood but I bought some gaint hair grass off a member here so might have to flood sooner then thought but might diy co2 and just go nuts since there is nothing in it.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012, 05:05 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (499/100%)
That rock provides great shadows. Looking forward to seeing this bowl play out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-17-2012, 12:01 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
sweet!

post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-17-2012, 10:06 AM
Algae Grower

Looks like its going to be great. For cycling, I found with mine that the plants will take care of it for you once they are established, I had no problems adding mine 3 weeks in, with the exception of failed molts because I failed to consider the ph differences.

Can't wait to see how it turns out!

Tags
bowl

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode