Fluval Spec 2 suggestions? Thinking of switching tanks - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-22-2012, 09:25 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Fluval Spec 2 suggestions? Thinking of switching tanks

Hello all,

Recently I've been dissatisfied with my Fluval Spec 2's scape. It looks a little messy/too full to me. Excuse the floating thermometer and plants, cleaning it up tomorrow.

In the pictures below you can see I have a tree I made out of three small pieces of driftwood as well as bacopa caroliniana, a cryptocoryne wendtii green bunch, and some DHG. Nothing seems to stay rooted thanks to my MTS, which is frustrating.

I'm considering getting rid of the bacopa because I'm just not that impressed with it, plus it grows unevenly and just doesn't look great to me.

I love the tank a lot but I'm thinking of upgrading to an aqueon evolve4 so I can have more room to do things with. I'm just at a loss for what to do.

Suggestions please?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0999.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	54210  

10g Planted Community Tank| Otocinclus, Red Cherry Shrimp, Tiger Nerite Snail, Assassin Snail, MTS
5.5g Planted Tank | Betta

Last edited by goodeye--sniper; 09-22-2012 at 09:29 PM. Reason: additional
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-23-2012, 12:49 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
Could you use weights to hold the plants down?

I think the Schubert wright, Zen nano and Mr. Aqua tanks are better value than the evolve bc they are glass, but if you don't mind the scratch ability factor of acrylic the Evolve might be a good choice for you.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-23-2012, 01:25 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (177/100%)
As a matter of personal preference, I tend to lean towards tanks with more horizontal dimensions. More room for planting and fish to swim. The cons would be limited height and more trimming. I loved the glass finnex rimless tanks and could see their new generation tanks being much better in quality and value.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"I am Groot", the faithful protector

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-23-2012, 01:31 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
I'm limited to the tanks you find at Petsmartco because there really isn't much else around me and I'd rather not pay for the shipping. I'm also leary of glass tanks because I move around a lot, every time I go home from school for break I'm afraid we're going to break my 10g.

I ended up taking out the bacopa and moved the crypt to the back right corner, as well as removed the bigger MTS. hopefully this helps.

Does anyone know how much bigger the evolve 8 is compared to the 4?

10g Planted Community Tank| Otocinclus, Red Cherry Shrimp, Tiger Nerite Snail, Assassin Snail, MTS
5.5g Planted Tank | Betta
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-25-2012, 04:37 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Nice tank you should add something in the front to the left.

110g Tropical Community & Sakura Shrimp
55g BN Breeding Grounds, Peacock Gudgeons, Panda, Pygmies, & Smudge Spot Cories, Rili Shrimp
10g RCS and show guppies

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
-

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode