Best nano tank. --all in one recommend - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-14-2012, 08:19 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Best nano tank. --all in one recommend

Hi all. I am downsizing from a 55 gallon tank and would like opinions on what some of the best all in one kits that are out there.

Any responses and why you chose that particular one?
Thanks!

Nanci
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-14-2012, 08:48 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
I like my aqueon evolve 4g. filter is a little noisy I just tap the cord every time I feed the betta usually fixes it.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-14-2012, 11:45 AM
Prodigious Plant Pundit

PTrader: (44/100%)
The best for you will be one you put together for yourself, rather than a kit. Check out my ADA Mini S as an example.

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." -- Steve Jobs

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-14-2012, 11:59 AM
Planted Member

I'm gonna have to say the Fluval Spec, maybe the 5g for you. I just bought the 2g and it is extremely well built and doesn't make a sound. I have some Aqueon products and overall I am satisfied with all of them and all of their products are fairly priced.

I was choosing between the Aqueon Evolve 4 and the Fluval Spec 2g. I chose the Fluval Spec because there is no denying the quality is superior on the Fluval Spec. Also the Aqueon Evolves are acrylic where as the Fluval Spec is glass. This was one of the deciding factors in chosing the Spec.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy using Tapatalk 2

If there's a solution to your problem then you have nothing to worry about. If there isn't, then you have nothing to worry about either.

post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-14-2012, 01:46 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
I'm with Kiran on this, but ADA can get really expensive really quickly. That's the main reason I don't have one right now (though, I do plan on building up cash to do so in the future). I just got an Eheim Aquastyle 9 that I love so far. Shop around online, as you can usually find it for under $110. You can also order extra lights from Eheim for about $50 apiece should you want bright lighting instead of medium. If you go for the Aquastyle 6, you have no need of extra lighting, but I like the size of the 9 gallon (12x12x14).
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-14-2012, 01:56 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exceliber View Post
I'm with Kiran on this, but ADA can get really expensive really quickly. That's the main reason I don't have one right now (though, I do plan on building up cash to do so in the future). I just got an Eheim Aquastyle 9 that I love so far. Shop around online, as you can usually find it for under $110. You can also order extra lights from Eheim for about $50 apiece should you want bright lighting instead of medium. If you go for the Aquastyle 6, you have no need of extra lighting, but I like the size of the 9 gallon (12x12x14).
I just ordered the Eheim Aquastyle 9 from marinedepot.com for $94 shipped. Think they still have a coupon (AQUASTYLE) for 25% off.

I was down to that and the Fluval EBI, but liked the LED light idea. Also considered putting together my own stuff based around a Mr. Aqua cube.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-14-2012, 01:57 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (101/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by onekraz3 View Post
I like my aqueon evolve 4g. filter is a little noisy I just tap the cord every time I feed the betta usually fixes it.
I fill the water all the way to the top so that the chambers in the back are filled up. That takes care of the sound problem and also, by lessening the water movement, I'll be able to pump Co2 into the tank.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-14-2012, 03:57 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Depending on budget either the fluval flora/ebi, eheim aquastyle, aqueon evolve or (big bucks) innovative marine nuvo 8 or 16.

"Do not need anything to block the Seascapes."

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-14-2012, 04:31 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (10/100%)
Schuber-Wright 4G package on ebay - comes with fugeray light and finnex filter
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-14-2012, 05:09 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by philemon716 View Post
^

The light on the other kits are kinda meh.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-14-2012, 05:26 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by philemon716 View Post
Oh nice!
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-14-2012, 05:29 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
If you're sticking with low light stuff like moss and java fern and anachris, the new Spec 3 might be a good size for you.

I have both the Spec 5 and the Spec 2 and the light on the 2 is better IMO the light on the 5 isn't as sturdily built or strong enough to penetrate to the bottom for moss.

I think the 3 is big enough to be fairly consistent in its water quality. I PWC the 2 twice a week, but I only have a female betta in it.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-14-2012, 05:37 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
I love the Fluval EBI. I have 2 of them, one running and one waiting to set up. There's certainly others out there (Eheim and Schuber-Wright would probably be my other *budget* choices), but the EBI is a good all around tank with everything you need. Some give the background and filter a bad rap, but no issues here. There is slight mod to make on the filter that fixes many of the problems people speak of.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-14-2012, 07:38 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
Skip the kit and piece it together yourself. Most people who buy kits end up swapping out 50% or more of their original parts. You'll save more in the long run and will be happier buying only exactly what you need/like.

[50g][
][
][
][
][
][
][
][
][3g][2.1g] - [
] [
][
]
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-15-2012, 07:50 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitFUUL View Post
Skip the kit and piece it together yourself. Most people who buy kits end up swapping out 50% or more of their original parts. You'll save more in the long run and will be happier buying only exactly what you need/like.
Agreed. But it all depends on what you really want and what your goals are. All the "kits" out there are geared towards low light plants and begining aquariasts in general IMO. I think that will always be the norm since you spend more and more money as you go "high tech" and the big companies often target the beginners (like myself) and middle of the pack hobbyists rather than the "high techies." I guess that's where the demand and money is at. Just plan plants based on the setup you buy and you should be fine.

That said, the Eheim Aquastyle has the best looking LED light as far as "kits" go IMO, but I'm beginning to get annoyed by the look of the internal filter. Becomes an "eye sore" after time.

CURRENT:
, 75 gal Cichlid Tank
CLUBS:
,***Nikon Pimp #062***
RETIRED:

Owner/Creator of Plantednanotanks.com

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode