Exceliber's Eheim Aquastyle 9 "Mad Scientist" - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-14-2012, 03:31 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Exceliber's Eheim Aquastyle 9 "Mad Scientist"

Hello all! This is my first tank to be posting on here and frankly, the first tank worth posting on here. This is a replacement for a little 5.5 gallon shrimp tank I had with poor lighting. I found this baby on eBay for a good price, and decided that I really wanted it.

I'll be swapping out the ugly blue tubing for the CO2 diffuser for clear soon, but they were out of silicon tubing at my LFS.

Flora:
3 mid-sized Amazon Swords
1 Myrio Filigree
3 Dwarf Amazon Swords
Flame Moss
Dwarf Baby Tears

Substrate:
Foxfarm Organic Soil cut with sand for flow
Light colored succulent plant sand

Fauna: (later)
Starting with RCS, if water parameters are right, I want to try my hand at rili reds and blues

Ferts/CO2:
Aqueon Leaf Zone (micronutrient supplement to make assist soil)
DIY Yeast CO2

These are day two pictures since day one was a tad cloudy (please forgive me, I am not a photographer):

Tried to get a decent photo of the baby dwarf tears:

Eventually I will buy a second LED light for this, and will replace the swords in the back with red ludwigia and another myrio. I have the swords in there since they grow fast enough and can withstand medium lighting. Plus I have a tank they'd look great in later.

Any advice is greatly appreciated! This is an experiment for me with the dirt substrate, so I'm looking forward to playing around.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-14-2012, 03:32 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Took some water parameters on day two and did a 30% WC. PH is sitting lovely at 6.6, ammonia (of course) is high at 1ppm. I'm going to wait at least two-three weeks before introducing any shrimp because I know soil substrate takes while to balance out.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-25-2012, 06:41 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Good job on the tank you have some beautiful plants.

110g Tropical Community & Sakura Shrimp
55g BN Breeding Grounds, Peacock Gudgeons, Panda, Pygmies, & Smudge Spot Cories, Rili Shrimp
10g RCS and show guppies

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-30-2012, 11:57 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMYukonon24s View Post
Good job on the tank you have some beautiful plants.
Thanks! The amazon swords are having a rough go, weirdly, but the dwarf tears and myrio are going great. Actually, I've had to cut the myrio back twice already.

I'm letting it set for another couple of weeks before adding any fish. My ammonia is negligible, but my nitrites are sky-high though slowly coming down.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-01-2012, 01:14 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (10/100%)
Honestly, if you want to go the red rili route I would do it now rather than wait. Red rilis can be found for cheap and they have the same water parameters requirements as RCS. My red rilis are having trouble reproducing in lower PH. But the rilis I have in my OEBT tank with a PH of 7.0-7.2 are just taking off. My fire red tank that hovers around 6.8-7.0 are doing great too. Check out some of the databases and if once your tank is cycled and your parameters can handle red rilis just go for it right away. I have had more deaths in my fire red tank (even though they are reproducing) than in my rili tank.

|
|
|
|
|
|
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-01-2012, 04:24 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Any pic updates?

110g Tropical Community & Sakura Shrimp
55g BN Breeding Grounds, Peacock Gudgeons, Panda, Pygmies, & Smudge Spot Cories, Rili Shrimp
10g RCS and show guppies

-
-
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-06-2012, 04:11 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Update:

The Hemianthus is doing awesome and is starting to finally send out some runners.

My flame moss hasn't bound itself yet to the driftwood, but it's starting to grow upwards. I'm probably going to get something to bind it to the driftwood soon, rather than having it pressed into cracks.

The dwarf amazon swords are starting to come back. Once they finally root themselves I'm preparing myself for them to take off.

The myrio in the back is proving to be an awesome addition. Unless the swords in the back kick into gear in the next month or so, I'll probably move them to my slower growing tank and propagate them to have a myrio wall in the back.

Other than that, I'm coming up on 4 weeks. My ammonia is negligible, and my nitrates are slowly dropping. I figure another two weeks or so and I'll order my shrimp. In this tank, I'm going to probably take the advice and go with red rilis. I'll probably lower the amount of CO2 in the tank to raise the PH just a bit. It's a 6.4 right now and I'd like it a little closer to 6.6-6.8.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode