Wine Bottle Nano? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-12-2012, 07:08 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Wine Bottle Nano?

I've recently started making some lovely desk top nanos (maybe there is another name for what I'm creating - very small indeed). I have a couple pictures of one of them.

So far, they've been doing great. They seem to do well in the window with some direct sun for part of the day, or under a desk lamp with 6500k CFL bulb. The red cherry shrimp keep it clean and seem quite happy. I do regular small water changes, but otherwise no filtration or fertilizers. Substrate is ADA Amazonia. The photos here are of one of the smaller ones I've done so far - maybe 4"x3.5"x6". I really like them as little desk top reminders that nature exists outside the office

This leads into the thread title. I'd like to try a sealed wine bottle nano system, but haven't tried closing any of mine up yet. I've always liked the look of the "Eco Spheres" out there and would love to give it a shot without truly hermetically sealing it. I'm just thinking of providing a good substrate, several thriving plants and a couple RCS, popping the cork back in and seeing how it goes.

Has anyone tried something like this? Any advice?

Thanks in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Window_Aquariums-2269.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	53735  

Name:	Window_Aquariums-2270.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	394.7 KB
ID:	53736  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-12-2012, 07:29 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (26/100%)
No idea,

but this would be a great gift for my parents!
subscribed to see how this plays out.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-12-2012, 07:36 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks thebuddha. I'll get one started today to see how it goes. First, need to clean the bottle and remove the label. I'll be back later with prep photos. Fingers crossed!

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-12-2012, 08:17 PM
Algae Grower

I can imagine it being a pain in the backside to plant, but amazing if you can get it to work!
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-12-2012, 08:27 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unkillable Cat View Post
I can imagine it being a pain in the backside to plant, but amazing if you can get it to work!
This was my initial thought as well. I think you'll have to settle for a just being able to slide stems into the bottle. Should work fundamentally though. Then I started to run images of wine bottles in my head, and had trouble remembering seeing a clear bottle anywhere. Most are tinted to some extent, but I'm sure a bottle can be had. Should be a neat little project.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-12-2012, 08:30 PM
Algae Grower

White wine bottle, or at a push vodka would be clear. I know most supermarket white wines over here atleast tend to be in clear glass bottles.
Have you thought about using one of the lidded squat jars, no idea what they are called lol, but you can sit them at 3 angles, usually used for pasta.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-12-2012, 11:47 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I happen to have a (nearly) clear wine bottle that I'm going to try. Just a subtle light blue tint, but hopefully not too bad. I'm also going to give a whiskey bottle a try - love both the whiskey and the bottle it came in.

Here are some prep images, removing the labels. I'm pretty excited about the project.

Name:	Aqua_Cubes-2518.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	53744

The whiskey label came off just fine with the razor blade.

Name:	Aqua_Cubes-2520.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	53745

The wine bottle required 10 minutes in the oven at 350 F to loosen the adhesive enough, then took it off with razor as well. Do be careful when that glass first comes out, and set it on something heat-resistant!

Name:	Aqua_Cubes-2522.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	53746

I like the idea of a large squat jar also, but will try my hand at these first. I'm thinking some skinny, tall plant alone might work well. Suggestions on what to try??? It will need to be efficient enough at creating oxygen for a couple small RCS, and somewhat efficient at absorbing their "nutrients" without really needing to be cut back very often (that would defeat the corking purpose). Any good ideas?
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-12-2012, 11:59 PM
Planted Member

Loving the nanos. Great photos too.

Subscribed

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-13-2012, 12:03 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thank you sir. I am a photographer by trade

Now accepting suggestions for flora for bottles!
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-13-2012, 12:53 AM
Planted Member

Someone had mentioned that it would be a pain to plant, but I've found that tying the plant to a piece of gravel and then dropping it in would be perfect! I do that now in my big tanks and it would also work for smaller, more narrow tanks. Over time, the roots will attach but then again, how would you trim plants?

post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-13-2012, 03:51 PM
Planted Member

I think I am going to steal your idea, though I will give you credit. It is really amazing!

Where did you get your little glass containers?
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-13-2012, 06:41 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMPlanted View Post
Thank you sir. I am a photographer by trade

Now accepting suggestions for flora for bottles!
Something tall and skinny? I'm going to say bacopa monieri offhand, or maybe some myrio filigree. They'll both grow slow without co2 and can survive in medium-low light. I like the filigree since it can host lots of microfauna for the shrimp to nom on. Or you can always get a good chunk of flame moss that'll eventually take over the bottle.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-19-2012, 05:54 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (16/100%)
Any updates?
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-19-2012, 06:08 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (44/100%)
I can't imagine scaping with a wine bottle!

current:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

| retired:

|
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-19-2012, 11:22 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd
I don't have any pictures but I have done similar. I used a cylinder vase that my hand was too big to plant. I just did a dry start (DSM) with my stems and some hair grass. Almost everything I put in worked and transitioned well. I did not put any livestock in as it was only about .5 gallons and I put it outside for awhile.

Anyway, I think it's a great idea and shouldn't be hard if you do dry start. It's going to be hard if you actually want to scape and trim it lower than the top. I let my stems grow out the top and I love the look.

-Matt

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode