Shrimpaholic's 2g Fluval Spec - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-12-2012, 06:37 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Shrimpaholic's 2g Fluval Spec

So I was shopping around today looking for a Nano tank and decided to get the Fluval Spec. I was seriously considering the Aqueon Evolve 4 but I think the biggest turn off for me was that it was made of plastic wheras the Spec is made of glass. This seems like a solid little tank. I especially like the design of the filer/filter medium. I have room to add a heater in the back and a little sack of Purigen as well.

I plan on taking clippings from my plants in my 20g for my Spec. I also have a nice piece of multi branched wood that I found along a dry river bed near my house. As of right now I may just use some left over black sand I have for substrate but still undecided.

After the cycling is complete I'm leaning towards some Yellow Neo's and maybe some Emerald Green Shrimp

The best part about getting this tank was I only paid $12 for it! I sold a reptile filter that I never used and was given to me a few months back.

A few pics of the tank with just water as I wanted to see how the flow from the filter was, and how bright the light was. Can't wait to get home to get this puppy started!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy using Tapatalk 2
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1347431815201.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	53728  

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1347431836169.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	53729  

If there's a solution to your problem then you have nothing to worry about. If there isn't, then you have nothing to worry about either.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-13-2012, 03:34 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I put some black sand in my Spec and a little clipping of wysteria and I'm not sure what the other plant is and a few little rocks I had laying around. I'm gonna add more clippings and some branches when I have a chance to get all the bark off them and boil them. I want to add some Baby Tears towards the front and tie some java moss on my rock. Maybe a moss wall on the back. I haven't really figured out how exactly this will be scape yet.

Here's what it looks like at the moment. I'm thinking of putting a couple juvie cherry shrimp culls in there to help my cycle going but I dunno...

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1347550483952.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	53765  

If there's a solution to your problem then you have nothing to worry about. If there isn't, then you have nothing to worry about either.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-13-2012, 03:38 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
I am so impressed that you only paid $12!

Gah I would totally buy another one for $12!

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-13-2012, 05:12 PM
Invert Warrior

PTrader: (14/100%)
The other plant is called cabomba. In my experience it doesn't do well in specs.

But I'm happy you got a spec. This is possibly the best nano around at the moment, I only wish it had a larger footprint.

Keep me posted, I'll be interested to see what you do!

From MABJ's iPhone
2G Fluval Spec ~ fauna and flora in the works!

*Retired for now*
|
|
|
|
|
|My Tanks ʌ | Shrimp advice v|
|
|
|
|
|
Mark A Belcher Junior, founder --
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-13-2012, 05:40 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MABJ View Post
The other plant is called cabomba. In my experience it doesn't do well in specs.

But I'm happy you got a spec. This is possibly the best nano around at the moment, I only wish it had a larger footprint.

From MABJ's iPhone
It does have a larger footprint- The Spec 5 Gallon.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-13-2012, 05:44 PM
Invert Warrior

I know! I'm going to get one eventually

Not sure when yet.

From MABJ's iPhone

*Retired for now*
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-13-2012, 08:11 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MABJ View Post

From MABJ's iPhone
Ahh ok now I know the name :-) I just took these clippings out of my 20g but I could easily put them back in. They do grow very fast so maybe that's why they don't do well in Nanos?

post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-13-2012, 08:42 PM
Invert Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimpaholic View Post
Ahh ok now I know the name :-) I just took these clippings out of my 20g but I could easily put them back in. They do grow very fast so maybe that's why they don't do well in Nanos?

Yep. They're like 20" tall plants. So that doesn't exactly fit.

If you like them keep them! I just personally had a hard time with them.

From MABJ's iPhone

*Retired for now*
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-14-2012, 06:44 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

So I just checked the params (some of them) and my pH was 7.6 which is fine because I plan on keeping Neo's in it. The thing that I can't figure out is why my pH is so high. I used 100% RO and added Fluval Shrimp Mineral to get my GH to 5, a little Amquel, Jungle Start Zyme, and some Aqueon Plant food.

All I have is black sand as substrate, one rock and no fish or shrimp. Without Amonia my cycle hasn't started, I realize that I just haven't had time to work with my Spec yet.

The Obvious culprit is the rock but is there anything else that would cause my pH to be 7.6? My RO water tests at 6.2.

75F
GH 5
KH 3
TDS 186
Haven't tested Amonia, Nitrites or Nitrates yet.

post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-14-2012, 10:50 AM
Algae Grower

try to age your RO water with airing..to see whether pH will rise, i think it will.
did u do winegar test of the rock?
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-14-2012, 11:46 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I'm sure you are right about the RO water. However, in my 20g I use 100% RO and my pH stays around 6.6. And as I mentioned in the previous post my RO has a pH of 6.2.

No, I haven't done the vinegar test on my rock which by the way, is the same rocks that I gathered from a river. These are both things I should and will do when I get back home tomorrow...or today? Traveling for business = sleep deprivation = insanity!

Thanks for the advice:-)

post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-14-2012, 11:48 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I stopped by a lfs and picked up some Dwarf Baby Tears for my forground in my tank. After reading on it, it seems this plant needs co2 which I wasn't planning on using. Well $5...I'm gonna plant them stem by stem and see how it goes.

I couldn't find a small enough piece of driftwood or any manzanita so I am gonna be using the branches I found after I prep them. Keeping the branches submerged is gonna be a challenge as they like to float.

And I'm doing it the old school way with a couple feeder guppies to get my cycle started. It's always worked for me in the past so I'm stickin with it.

post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-15-2012, 06:03 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

So going on day 2 with no sleep I finally made it back home and planted the HC and threw in a couple guppies to get my cycle started. Now I have to figure out how to keep my HC alive...is it possible with the light that came with my Fluval Spec?

Anyways, here's some pics. Still gotta figure out how to get my driftwood twigs in there...

So basically I'm still playing around with what goes where. More than likely all of the plants in the back will be replaced. I'm open to suggestions, ideas on what you think I should do, shouldn't do etc.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1347688985618.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	114.5 KB
ID:	53864  

post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-15-2012, 10:12 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Here's some updated pics with the driftwood I cut and debarked, that I found on the side of a river bed. At the moment I'm gonna let it be for now. Besides changing some of the background plants, and adding some Java Moss and some Java Fern to the driftwood, this is the scape.

When it finishes cyclying Yellow Neo's and Emerald Green Shrimps. Comments, suggestions appreciated!

post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-15-2012, 10:17 PM
Invert Warrior

The HC is a crapshoot man. The odds aren't on your side that it'll come out how you want. If it does survive, it will grow tall. But I wish you every bit of luck.

The light is a lot stronger than people think. But I wouldn't put it anywhere higher than medium light.

From MABJ's iPhone

*Retired for now*
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode