Planning Eheim Aquastyle 9 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-12-2012, 01:43 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Planning Eheim Aquastyle 9

I have been away from the fish hobby for about 10 years, but have decided I would really like a lowish tech, medium light nano planted tank with shrimp. Of course, I would buy a new tank instead of using one of the 8 in the garage, but that's how it goes

After a lot of reading here and a lot of online and local shopping, I think I'm going to go with the Eheim Aquastyle 9, a big part due to the shipped price of $94 after the AQUASTLYE coupon code on marinedepot.com. I'd thought about the Fluval Ebi's, but I think I prefer the LED light on the Eheim.

Trying to decide on a couple of things before putting in some orders:

Subtrate: I think its down to Eco Complete or Azoo Plant Grower Bed. Eco-Complete from Amazon is cheaper, but one bag of either I hope would be enough for this tank. May even find Eco Complete at Petco. Can't remember if I saw it there or not.

Thoughts on the two, or is there another reasonably priced substrate I should consider? I like the black color available in both of these.

I don't have any test kits right now (that aren't 10 years old) to check the pH on my tap water. I know the Azoo is known to lower pH, so I don't know if that's desirable or not. I've ordered a kit from Amazon that should be here later this week.

Heater: What's a good recommendation on a 50W adjustable for a nano tank? Smaller is better for obvious reasons.

I thought about going ahead and starting with a canister of some type (Fluval 106 or one of the Eheims), but I think I'm going to go slowly this time and just see how the included filter and maybe a sponge filter or two do for awhile.

I'm sure I'll have more questions, but I need to get the tank ordered soon as I don't know how long that coupon is good for, and if I do go with the Azoo, I'd order it at the same time.

Thanks for any thoughts. I've kept low light plants before, but mostly stuff like Java Fern and moss in dwarf cichlid breeder tanks. I want to be a bit more serious this time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-12-2012, 06:14 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Also throwing U.P. Aqua Shrimp sand into the options.

For a 9 gallon cube, how much substrate is needed?
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-15-2012, 11:18 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
If you're doing just straight up substrate, you'll want at least 2 inches. For that size of a tank (12x12x14), you'll need 4.7 liters for 2 inches of substrate, and 7.0 liters for 3 inches. As to the heater, does your house stay above 70 or so year round? If so, you probably won't need one.

I just got one of these, and if I leave the lid on with the light on (to keep the cat out), it gets nice in warm in there that lasts for a while. As to the pH, what are you keeping in there? I am keeping my tank at around 6.6-6.8 or so. Lower pH makes ammonia less toxic, and tends to keep bacterial infections less likely. Not only that, but a most things won't breed in a higher pH tank (though some really like it).

I hope that helps!

My Eheim Aquastyle 9, "Mad Scientist".

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-15-2012, 07:02 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the info on substrate amounts. I'm still shopping around a bit on that.

As for temps, the house can get below 70 at nights in the winter, so I think I probably need a heater for safety sake.

I'm planning to get some easier shrimp, probably cherries or similar. Maybe snails. Not sure if I'm going to do any small fish or not, but probably not initially until I get a feel for shrimp keeping.

Still deciding on plants. I was originally going to do low light stuff, but might see if I can do some medium light plants as well.

I did get my test kit in, and out of the tap my water runs about 7.3-7.4. I assume that will drop with proper substrate, but I'll see. TDS looks to be right under 200ppm. It's going to be awhile before I add shrimp, though, so I'll see what happens when I plant and cycle the tank.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode