Rballi's Fluval Spec V Office tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-11-2012, 04:16 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (20/100%)
Rballi's Fluval Spec V Office tank

Picked this up tonight as my other desk tank has seen better days. I had debated between this and the evolve, but the glass is what helped me make up my mind.

Some generic unboxing photos, not sure exactly what I am going to end up doing with this.

Thinking Eco complete with a couple of manzy twigs and lots if various sized stones.

Probably going with crs and maybe a small school of ember tetras.

Going to dose matricide and maybe some iron. Probably will end up with needle leaf java fern, s. repens, Anubias petite, and maybe some dhg.

Will post some pics once I get the hardscape in and planted.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1347336990.901096.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	203.1 KB
ID:	53686Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1347337001.823622.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	138.8 KB
ID:	53687

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-11-2012, 04:48 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (31/100%)
Great little tank. I've had it for a couple months now.
The light grows great moss. My Xmas moss loves it. No c02.
Couple tips.
I removed the sponge it came with and added my own bag of ceramic o ring media. As much as I couple stuff in the first chamber. From just below the slits all the way down to the bottom past the little sponge shelf. Then I cut my own sponge the covers the slits at the top so no shrimp can get into the filter chamber.
There is one little tiny opening about half way down. I cut a small piece of sponge to fit behind it to keep critters our of the filter chamber.
Took a little positioning to get just right.
Not much room back there for your hands.
Also found a really small temp adjustable heater to fit in the area with the return pump.
I have my pump set to min flow and feel its still a little strong for a shrimp tank.

Good stuff.
Enjoy!
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-13-2012, 05:40 PM
Invert Warrior

PTrader: (14/100%)
Great advice on the little slit. Some of my critters got back there.

I personally like the sponge however.

From MABJ's iPhone
2G Fluval Spec ~ fauna and flora in the works!

*Retired for now*
|
|
|
|
|
|My Tanks ʌ | Shrimp advice v|
|
|
|
|
|
Mark A Belcher Junior, founder --

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-14-2012, 12:12 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
I shoved filter media into the tiny slit so there's a pouf sticking out. The shrimpies like to nibble stuff out of it.

And I placed a slice of dense sponge filter across the slits at the top to keep anyone from cruising in on the topside.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-14-2012, 12:17 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
My friend at work has a spec 2 and 5 and the shrimp/killie fry like to hide in there. No issues so far but they definitely hide in there.

post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-14-2012, 08:21 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
I love the Spec V's dimensions...I may have to get yet ANOTHER tank...
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-14-2012, 11:51 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks for the pointers everyone. I have some foam that I can stuff into those crevices. Got the hardscape in, wish I had some more manzy laying around, I can always add more later if it needs it. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1347666655.986889.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	166.6 KB
ID:	53843Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1347666676.266959.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	203.7 KB
ID:	53844

I have a bunch of smaller rocks I am going to stuff everywhere.

post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-15-2012, 12:16 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Stones in and filled. I think this is quite a nice little setup out of the box. I am sure it won't grow everything, but that just means less maintenance...Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1347668201.742178.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	203.1 KB
ID:	53850

post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-15-2012, 12:23 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (19/100%)
I like it!

post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-15-2012, 01:48 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1347673596.527542.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	226.6 KB
ID:	53855

Started to plant. Going to fill in the back row with crypts and some needle leaf java fern in between the rocks with some patches of dwarf hair grass...should be a nice little tank. Think ember tetras at this point. How big of a school could this tank support? 8?

post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-15-2012, 07:34 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (31/100%)
you'll be surprised at what this LED can grow. I've had great success with a few different plants without any supplements or c02.
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-15-2012, 07:45 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
I absolutely adore your scape

10g Planted Community Tank| Otocinclus, Red Cherry Shrimp, Tiger Nerite Snail, Assassin Snail, MTS
5.5g Planted Tank | Betta
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-15-2012, 07:57 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
I'm digging the scape. I'm curious to see what's next. Very nice start.

CURRENT:
, 75 gal Cichlid Tank
CLUBS:
,***Nikon Pimp #062***
RETIRED:

Owner/Creator of Plantednanotanks.com

post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-15-2012, 03:29 PM
Invert Warrior

PTrader: (14/100%)
When I had a 5G, I looked at 6 embers. You probably could get away with 8 since yours is definitely longer.

I love the scape. Are you doing any inverts?

From MABJ's iPhone
2G Fluval Spec ~ fauna and flora in the works!

*Retired for now*
|
|
|
|
|
|My Tanks ʌ | Shrimp advice v|
|
|
|
|
|
Mark A Belcher Junior, founder --
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-15-2012, 05:59 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Got it planted (mostly). Just pulled stuff from my 75. Needle leaf java fern, c. Wendtii 'tropica', dwarf hair grass.

Going to add a group of cherry shrimp, but I have to get this tank to the office still. Going to add some Taiwan moss to the manzy when I drain it.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1347731938.693003.jpg
Views:	900
Size:	220.5 KB
ID:	53877

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode