New 6.6 Bookshelf Tank.. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-02-2012, 10:49 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (9/100%)
New 6.6 Bookshelf Tank..

I'm upgrading from a 2.3 gal to a 6.6 gal tank.. the 2.3 was only up for a couple months and I had very little plants in it, and I just replanted my 28 gal so I didn't really have much to transplant to this tank.. I think it still looks a bit bland so I am looking for some suggestions. I want to keep the tank low tech and will not be adding CO2, so I guess keep that in mind.

Currently, the tank has sand substrate (don't really love the look but I don't want to switch it out), running an Aqueon QuietFlow internal filter with the flow turned all the way down and I shoved my old sponge from my sponge filter into the filter where the cartridge normally fits. Light is the stock fixture, but with a 6500k bulb. Plants are dwarf hair grass, java moss, bacopa in the background and giant duckweed floating.

I will be adding a black background in the next day or two also.

Sorry for the poor quality pic. The tank has been up for less than 24 hrs so the water's cloudy. Didn't wash the new sand well enough.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-03-2012, 12:57 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (15/100%)
I would look into some plants with hight or add some more branch like manzanita wood

Last edited by moosenart; 09-03-2012 at 12:57 AM. Reason: Adj
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-03-2012, 01:16 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the input! Should I put the branches around the current driftwood? To add more interest?

The bacopa will grow to the height of the tank. I just put it in today..

I'm thinking I should put something else in the background too. And/or something in the mid ground on the left.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-03-2012, 02:53 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I'm thinking of moving the dwarf hair grass to be a mid ground plant in front of the bacopa, and planting a smaller carpeting plant in the foreground... I've been reading up on my options and it seems like Marsilea would probably be the best option. I'm also thinking of adding a bunch of java fern spiking out directly behind the driftwood to give it some more interest?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-08-2012, 12:54 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Eek.. so I ordered some java fern online expecting it to be like 5-7" tall, the stuff that came in is like a foot long. I know java can grow the large, I just figured it'd arrive small, grow slow, and I could trim anything that got.. well.. like a foot long. I'm not sure if I like how giant it is. I guess it might look better whenever it starts to fill in, and when the bacopa fills in the background.. :/

The java seems to have been worth the cost. very large..
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-08-2012, 01:30 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
You can always trim it down once a few new leafs start growing off the rhizome, so that you can have only new and smaller growth. Heck, I've even had friends trim down everything and just leave the rhizome on a new arrival and it started growing back anyways, though I honestly don't know if they just got lucky or if that'll always work with java ferns.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-08-2012, 01:37 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Lol, yeah.. I'd be scared to chop everything off. Does java fern grow as impossibly slow as I think it does? This is gonna annoy me for a while. But yes, it's a plant.. it'll obviously grow new leaves eventually. Just gotta keep trying to convince myself that patience is a virtue!

This will look even more ridiculous when I plant the marsilea until that converts. Ugh. :P
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-08-2012, 02:03 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Well, my windelov java fern puts out new leaves like crazy, one leaf every few days. And my narrow leaf java is slower, but still at least one new leaf per week or 2 at most. So I guess it depends on your definition of slow, but I'm pretty happy with their growth rate when you factor in their ease of growth. I literally have not fertilized the tank with the windelov in it ever and it's growing like crazy. I got it about a month and a half ago with about 10-15 leaves on it and i'm at about 25-30 now, with 2 baby plantlets growing off the tips of some of the leaves.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-08-2012, 02:30 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Awesome that's great to here. I know they're obviously not identical, but my java moss took forever to take off. People always group them together with like anubias which grew pretty slowly for me too.. guess I was expecting similar growth but you're giving me hope.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-08-2012, 02:33 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (15/100%)
I would look on the SnS for wood.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode