Update (7/16)-- 2g display tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-03-2005, 03:36 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (7/100%)
Update (7/16)-- 2g display tank

This is a new tank I set up today-- there were a few things I wanted to experimented with, so I decided to start a new tank.

Specs:
Substrate: 1.5" Eco-Complete (underneath), 1.5" Red Sea's Flora-Base (top).
Lighting: 38watts flourescent 6700k
CO2: I will find a way to get that in there . . .
Plants: Limnophila, Rotala sp. Najenshan, Hemianthus micranthemoides, Glosso(I'm impatient), Hair Grass, Anubias nana "gold", Java Fern "thin leaf", Taiwan Moss, Crypt sp., Naja sp.

I think that's it. A friend of mine tipped me off that flora-base, which is soil-based is better than gravel-based substrate like eco-complete or flourite for planting, and that it reduces stress to crypts from transplanting. I used a bottom layer of eco-complete to get my bacterias going faster though. It's hard to tell from the photo, but a fourth or more of the tank's depth is devoted to substrate. I hope my glosso gets going quickly.

If someone has a way of getting CO2 into such a tiny tank I would be very much obliged to know how.

Last edited by Steven_Chong; 07-17-2005 at 02:46 AM. Reason: Update
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-03-2005, 07:44 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Looks cool to me What are the fish that are going to be in there?

Seachem's Excel for the carbon source you need? And there's always the (expensive) ADA mini C02 dispenser with a diffusor.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-03-2005, 10:52 AM Thread Starter

I'm thinking just red cherry shrimp . . . maybe fish some day but I'm thinking shrimp only, especially in a tank so small.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-03-2005, 03:38 PM

Nice tank Have you ever considered flag fish? They eat hair algae big time. I have some red snails I am willing to give you. They would eat algae off plants and glass. Just a idea- why not add a red or brown plant in the left front corner to add contrast?
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-03-2005, 05:44 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (86/100%)
Nice tank, that eco and flora base will end up mixing up if thats what you want.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-03-2005, 06:56 PM Thread Starter

fishmaster-- I've been meaning to try flagfish, but might this tank be too small? Plus I'm sure they'd eat my red cherries. I've seen smaller killies than them eat the wild-form cherry shrimp (meaning they are brown/clear) we use as feeders where I am. By red snails do you mean red ramshorn snails? I am raising those as well in the 20g I've devoted to raising shrimp. They are very nice. Behind the anubias in the back-left corner is where the micranthemum micranthemoides is planted . . . I might be able to get away with jamming a small crypt in front of them though to the left of the anubias . . . or maybe just mix in a few strands of rotala wallichi (when I see it next) with the micranthemoides . . .

Jdin-- If they mix, that'll be part of my experiment. I'm trying to be neat though.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-03-2005, 07:17 PM

I will trade you some wallichi and one small red crypt for some of the wild shrimp you are talking about. Pm me if this sounds good to you.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-17-2005, 02:45 AM Thread Starter

Update, July 16

It's been what, about 2 weeks since the set up? Glosso is starting to send out runners, and is showing some new growth. Most of the plants are doing well, though my rotala najenshan isn't growing back well from it's neglect in its previous tank . . . I added some didplis diandra, as well as some riccia tied into the old hair grass. Hope that shoots out nicely. Update photos:

I only have 2 red cherries in the tank, but I think I have a pair. They show the normal physical/behavioral differences of a pair (the "female" is larger, more colorful, and grazes while moving steadily, while the male is smaller, less colorful, and swims frequently). Hopefully they get a jump start soon.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-17-2005, 06:46 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (21/100%)
Very nice, where did you get that rimless 2 g?
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-18-2005, 12:09 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (55/98%)
What kind of light fixture do you use for this 2g tank? I know you said it is a 38W. Flou.6700K. but I don't see where it's coming from.
Nice Tank BTW.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

We made it !!
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-19-2005, 06:58 PM Thread Starter

turtlehead-- it's something my LFs sell

vitarte-- It's a DIY type set up using 19 watt spiral bulbs from home depot
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-08-2005, 01:13 AM
Algae Grower

Send a message via AIM to aanderson09
greenmiddlefinger, I live in hawaii too, do you live on oahu? if so, what lfs do you use?
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-08-2005, 04:23 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to audiotaylor
Could you go into a little more detail about the light fixture? Maybe take a pic of it? Im working on a 2.5 gallon of my own and am brainstorming about how to get some good light over it. Thanks!
-David

The day we would limit ourselves or adapt to the music scene, is the day Opeth dies. -Mikael Akerfeldt

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode