Eclipse 3 Plans - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-23-2012, 07:29 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Eclipse 3 Plans

This will be my first planted tank. I have been reading for quite a while but I am still at a loss. I have an Eclipse 3 that I have decided to discard the hood, filter, and top border, so now it is just a plain acrylic tank.

I would like to have a full carpeted tank with something like Glosso or Dwarf Hairgrass, with a couple taller plants. I would also like a few tiny fish and snails.

I'm looking at this light, but I'm not sure if it is too bright
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/prod...583266672.html

And this filter
http://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-Extern.../dp/B005DGHRU2

I am not sure about CO2 presently...

I think I will purchase RO water for this tank since our ph is high where I live.

I will continue to look for information here, but if anyone can already tell I am misunderstanding something, or has any advice, please let me know. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-23-2012, 09:00 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

That filter seems to be a popular choice as far as canisters go, for nano aquariums. I'm not sure about that light. I wish you luck with your future build. This site is very informative; soak up what you can and learn from experience. The main thing is that you have fun with the hobby.

CURRENT:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, 75 gal Cichlid Tank
CLUBS:
,***Nikon Pimp #062***
RETIRED:

Owner/Creator of Plantednanotanks.com

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-23-2012, 04:57 PM
Algae Grower

Hello,

I'm in the "research phase" for my first planted as well.

IMO that light looks insufficient. Per their calculations it's under 2w. Granted I'm a reef guy, so my thought process is usually that you can't have too much light. Also note that this fixture is shipped from China and the shipping costs are close to the price of the fixture. *Marineland sells a LED "double bright" unit that costs about $50 and provides 9w of light. PC fluorescent bulbs are also very popular as are small T5/T8 lights. Maybe check out some of the other members nano/pico tanks and see what light fixtures are popular? I'll bet there are several for less than $60 though.

Regarding your plant selection, I'm thinking that you're going to want co2. It's going to take a while for a carpet to grow in fully, and co2 along with the proper fertilizers and trimming will speed that process up considerably. Then again I'm learning this just through the experiences of others. You could probably grow a nice carpet of something without co2, but it would likely require a lot more work initially.

Speaking of which, have you given any consideration to your substrate? Through my research I'm learning some of the pros/cons of the various substrate types and it seems like there are quite a few good options but you'll want to select the one that suits your budget, time, and the plants you want to keep.

Good luck! I hope to see pics of how it turns out.

Last edited by ajmckay; 08-23-2012 at 05:21 PM. Reason: *

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-23-2012, 05:31 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the replies! Since making this thread, I am already reconsidering both the lighting and filtration.... lol. Now I am thinking about compact fluorescent lighting and a HOB filter, mostly for cost savings. It will not be as aesthetically appealing, though. I'm hoping I won't need CO2, but if I do I will deal with it then, and now I at least know the basic concept of setting it up. I might have to change my plant choices because of the light change, but I'm really not sure. Apparently some compact fluorescents can be quite bright, and it is a small tank, but it is also somewhat tall. I guess I will just have to find out.

I'm actually reading about substrate now... I'm kind of leaning toward something like Fluval Stratum or Estes sand, with some Miracle Grow under it? Guessing games..... haha
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-23-2012, 05:37 PM
Algae Grower

Haha, it really is all about the experience of the whole process. I can tell you what I would do, but that's not necessarily right for every tank.

You'll learn lots by experimenting I'm sure and have fun doing it.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-23-2012, 05:45 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Tell away
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-24-2012, 03:23 AM
Algae Grower

I did not enjoy miracle grow under sand. Miracle under gravel works better for me, i had to be too delicate so as not to disturb the cap. Im actually doing pool filter sand with one week root tabs and the next column dosing and having the same results as capped soil. Though i did sneak some soil under the amazon swords. Im also over stocked and working with bigger fish so plenty of ferts and mulm for the plants. I also use air driven sponge filters and excel.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-24-2012, 04:06 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks, I discovered this for myself tonight, hahaha.

I bought Miracle Grow, Cat litter, and white sand. I would have chosen black, but that's just how it went. I bought a wood arrangement last minute for $7.50.

I went to a small independent fish store and got a Cambridge Aquatics HOB filter for 3-10 gallons for $10. I was looking for black sand but she didn't have any small bags. She said she was going to do a set up with white tomorrow, so she sold me 5 lbs out of the bag for $5.

I had to look around a lot for a desk lamp that I thought would work well. I found one that I thought was very bright at Office Depot. It has a two-pin compact fluorescent bulb, which is what I thought I wanted at the time. I couldn't find any info on the bulb that came with it, but I got it anyway since it was pretty cheap ~$20, and I figured I could replace the bulb later. Then I realized that none of the pet stores had this type of bulb for aquariums, they had screw-in compact fluorescent bulbs. So then I looked more for a lamp like that with a horizontal orientation, but I couldn't find any.

I went back to the little fish store to buy a test kit, and I talked to her there about special ordering a bulb. She asked to see the lamp, so I got it out of the box and it turned out that the bulb was 6500K already, so I was happy about that.

I came home to set up the tank and it did not all go as planned, lmao. I will post the sad pics soon.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-24-2012, 05:02 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Pics and such are all going to be here now: https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=188328

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode