1g pico at three months - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-28-2005, 09:43 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
1g pico at three months

I thought I'd post a few pictures of my pico, it's doing very well at three months

Here's the origninal post I made, right after setting the tank up. I quickly discovered that the Bacopa australis wouldn't lend itself to foreground growth even if I weighted it down along the gravel and kept it trimmed.

I replaced it with a few Echinodorus tenellus which haven't grown much, and a bunch of Java moss which is doing very well. The Bacopa was moved to the back and has needed periodic trimming; it's working well as a background plant.

I do water changes of ~20% every week or two, and I've kept the N/P levels at approximately: NO3 10ppm, PO4 2ppm. I use a homemade PMDD mix and add a few drops of Flourish Excel every day. There is NO algae to speak of in the tank, just a little inside the HOB filter.

The inhabitants are two ghost shrimp, two Malasian trumpet snails and a lot of red ramshorn snails.

Here are some pictures taken earlier today:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-28-2005, 11:01 PM
Planted Member

That's such a cute little tank. Very peaceful looking

Yes! I snuggle with rats!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-29-2005, 12:16 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Send a message via MSN to Curare
OH MY GOD!

that's awesome!

I can't beleive how good that looks, and it's a 1g!

I take it the ramshorns and shrimp do most of your algae removal?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Like drops of fertiliser into the tank, so are the days of our CO2...

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-29-2005, 02:10 AM Thread Starter

Wow, thanks for the rave review! Honestly, I don't think there's much algae, period. I did some reading about hard green spot algae on Anubias leaves (a constant problem in my 65g), and someone swore the key to prevention was high phosphates. Easy to do in a pico, so I thought I'd try it. PO4 levels in this tank are rarely below 2ppm, sometimes as high as 3ppm, and the only algae I've ever seen is a little 'dust' on the walls. That's been gone the last six weeks or so. Once things were balanced, I took note of the feeding, maintenance and fert regime I'd been following and vowed never to stray from it. I hope the tank stays this clean, if it looks like this at 1 year I'll consider it a success
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-01-2005, 03:46 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (21/100%)
Send a message via MSN to capricorn77 Send a message via Yahoo to capricorn77
Blinky,
Beautiful tank! Somehow, the way you have it set up, doesn't look like it's 1 gallon.

I wanted to ask what kind of HOB filter you have. Is it one of those small filters like this one (Azoo Palm Filter)?

Thanks for sharing your tank with us!

member of
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-01-2005, 04:48 PM Thread Starter

Hiya, thanks for the compliment
It's very close to that filter, it's a RedSea nano filter, rated for 1-3g. I use two of the sponge inserts, no floss or carbon, and it does a beautiful job.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-01-2005, 07:24 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (21/100%)
Send a message via MSN to capricorn77 Send a message via Yahoo to capricorn77
Duh! I'm such an idiot.
You even mentioned it in your signature, that you use a Red Sea nano filter.
Sorry about that.

member of
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-01-2005, 08:15 PM
Planted Member

It's gorgeous, thanks for sharing and posting the pictures. Keep up the good work.

- Marge
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-02-2005, 01:40 AM

PTrader: (2/100%)
Hi Blinky!

I remember that first pic! I went off and got a cube just like it, then hadda tear it down for moving. NOW I want to go plant it again! Yours is SO inspiring! Nice work!

Figgy
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-02-2005, 03:52 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Amber
Hey Figgy, sorry to hear you had to tear your cube down, hope you get it going again. I've got a bunch of tanks, but the cube has a special place in my heart. I find it very peaceful to watch the shrimp hang around in their moss, picking at bits of things I can't even see, and the snails crack me up - they turn themselves upsidedown, ride the surface tension, and feed on the protein layer at the top of the water! I found an albino pond snail (light shell, white mantle, very funky looking) in one of my other tanks, he now resides in the cube, one more neat thing to watch in my teeny underwater world

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode