My new 6 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-25-2005, 02:43 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
My new 6

I just got my new 6 gallon nano cube um... planted. Does it count as a planted tank when most of the plants are algae?

I've been moving things around trying to come up with a decent aquascape. I'm starting to get ideas and I like where some of the plants/rocks are. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-25-2005, 03:17 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

those look like saltwater algae/plants. Looks good so far but be careful the saltwater stuff can take over. If i guess right and they are saltwater plants/algae then i would suggest adding some LR (Live rock) for a nice scape.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-25-2005, 03:27 AM Thread Starter

Yup, they're saltwater.

The rock in there is live rock and the sand is live sand. Do you think I should go with more rock? I was trying not to overdo it too much with the rock because I wanted the plants/macro to be the focus.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-25-2005, 04:57 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
If you are going for a mini reef, then you will need more rock for any corals that you decide to add to the tank. The rock also helps as a natural biological filter and it helps to cycle the tank quicker. If you are going the fish only route, then you don't need any live rock in there at all. Is that the plain nano or the DX model? If it is the plain model, then you might not have enough light in there for corals. If it is the DX model, then you might have just enough light for medium to low light corals. I have seen some guys that have retro fitted the hoods with around 128W of light for their mini reefs.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-25-2005, 12:44 PM Thread Starter

It's the 6 gallon. There is no DX version. 18 watt 50/50 bulb.

Not putting any corals in... just plants/macro.

It's going to be a dwarf seahorse tank eventually.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-26-2005, 08:27 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by UprightJoe
It's the 6 gallon. There is no DX version. 18 watt 50/50 bulb.

DUH! Yep... no DX version. That is going to be a cool little setup. I am anixous to see how it develops. Looks like you have a good start so.

I am curious. Do you think there is enough room in the hood to retrofit another set of PC lighting? I am considering a nano cube, but I would like to set it up mainly for corals. I have seen some sites where people have upgraded the 12 gallon DX with 128W plus of light, but I haven't seen anything where someone made some major modifications to a 6 gallon.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-27-2005, 01:20 AM Thread Starter

People have definitely done it. A couple people have even retrofitted 70w metal halides into them. The metal halide mod I saw required extreme modifications to the hood though. It was very well done and looked nice but it didn't look much like nano cube hood afterwards

These guys are a good resource if you want one already modded or you want parts to mod it yourself.

http://www.nanocustoms.com
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-30-2005, 09:43 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I have actually seen and been to their site. To be honest with you though, the site (atleast to me) is not very clear on what you get for the prices that they have listed. Because of that, I would never do business with them. They do have a cool site though with regards to some of the pictures that they have cramming light into the cubes.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-30-2005, 02:02 PM Thread Starter

The owner of nanocustoms posts on another board that I visit. If you have any questions about what the different kits come with, I'd pop him an e-mail. I've had to ask him questions before and he's always responded very quickly. He's a good guy...
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-04-2005, 12:14 AM
tao
Algae Grower

You are definately my new favorite person. I thought about setting up a dwarf seahorse nano for a while. The only plant I dont really like is the Halimeda?? sp. It seems to stick out a bit to much, but I dont really have a suggestion as to where to put it.

On holiday.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode