My 6 gal eclipse planted - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-23-2005, 05:07 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
My 6 gal eclipse planted

Here's my tank..it started out w/o plants, went to fully planted, maybe 6 months ago i upgraded the 8 watts standard lighting to the 13w AH Supply kit..I seem to have a perpetual problem with that really stringy thread algae, but that's the only one that gets a bit bad.

It's got 2 harlequin rasboras that have been in the tank since the beginning, 2 rummynose tetras, 2 tiny black phantom tetras, a pgymy rasbora and a tiny corydoras pygmaeus. And a couple of cherry & amano shrimp.

I'll try to take some better photos tonight, I don't think this is a great photo...The anacharis grows out of control in the front, the java fern around the driftwood have all grown well and attached to the wood, the crypts in the back right have spawned some plantlets that have done well, and the anubias in the front right has gotten huge..The dwarf sag (i think) in the middle front looks good but hasn't grown a ton. There's a minor amt. of java moss clinging to the driftwood, and some rogue duckweed on the water's surface.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-25-2005, 06:45 AM
Planted Member

Good job. NIce little jungle look you have going. I have a system 6 too and was wondering if you had a pic of the 13 watt retrofit mounted in the hood? I'm curious as to how you mounted it. Any details or tips would be great, I'm planning to do the same thing to my tank in the near future.

Eheim Pimp Club member #113

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-26-2005, 02:36 AM Thread Starter

photos of the modded hood

here are some photos..it was pretty straightforward. initially i used the screws included in the kit, just pushing them through the plastic. the negative was that i had sharp screw tips poking through the top of the aquarium hood. a couple days later i replaced them with nuts & bolts, giving the top a much cleaner look. So the button no longer works, but that's not a big deal.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-26-2005, 08:13 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
You could easily put a switch on that setup to control the lights. I would put it inline on the positive side between the plug and the balast.

Have you ever thought of adding a second fixture? The left hand side of the tank has a dead area (not getting as much light) where the actual fixture is.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-26-2005, 05:13 PM Thread Starter

yeah, putting _a_ switch in wouldn't be a big deal, but I don't know how big a deal it'd be to make the eclipse built-in switch work. since the light's on a timer, it isn't much of a big deal.

as for a second fixture. I definitely thought about getting the 2x13 from ahsupply, and apparently it (barely) fits inside this hood..but i wasn't sure I was ready for 26 watts over a 6 gallon tank. As it stands right now, the light fixture is more or less over the big piece of driftwood, so even if there's less light over there, it isn't such a big deal.

my biggest problem w/ this tank, aside from a little algae, is SNAILS. some plant or plants I brought in introduced a HUGE snail population to this little tank..and every snail eating fish I read about is either nasty (dwarf puffers) toward community fish or gets really big (most loaches).

Can anyone recommend a fish for a nano/pico tank that'll scarf up all of these snails?

Thanks!
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-27-2005, 02:08 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (13/100%)
Send a message via AIM to AlexPerez
Hey chacal,

Do you find heat to be an issue. I got the same AHS Kit mounted in my Eclipse 6 and I have to keep the Lid open to keep the Temp below 80.
with the Lid on the temp goes up to 84 and higher.

Regards,
ALex

75G Planted,Pressurized CO2, ADA ,TEK T-5 Lighting (6X54W)
55G Planted, Shrimp only (Mix),P.CO2, eco/moon sand, 55WX2 AHS.
20G planted, Shrimp only(B.Bee), P.CO2, eco, 55W AHS kit in jebo fixture.
6G planted, Shrimp only(Tiger),P. CO2, eco, 14W AHS kit.

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-27-2005, 04:11 PM Thread Starter

Alex,

I think the temp stays right around 80 w/ the lid on. My apartment's pretty cool, and I don't think that the heater ever clicks on during the day.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-27-2005, 07:03 PM
Planted Member

thanks for the pics. I was hoping there was a way to mount the lighting without drilling through the top of the hood.

Eheim Pimp Club member #113

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-21-2005, 03:14 AM
Algae Grower

I don't know how long ago yours was ordered and installed, but i just got and installed mine this evening, and the power cord came with a little on off switch, so maybe they are doing that now.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-26-2005, 06:06 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to chadly
would this fit in a 3gal eclipse?

- Join today!

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-26-2005, 06:58 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
i have think of doing the same thing for my 6 gal..
does the back of the tank get enough linght...
i am also worried about the heat...

Any thoughts..
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-28-2005, 04:46 PM
Algae Grower

I have a 3 gallon eclipse that I added a 13w CF droplight to. I think the light was about 10-12 bucks at walmart. I used plastic tubing thats used for regular fluoresents and rubber chair feet to seal the tube and protect it from mousture. I attached to whole thing to the top with 2 cable ties thru the top. The ballest sits on the floor in its original drop light handle.

I added a fan since it seems to get a bit hot under there.

I'm considering replacing the built in filter with a small canister and adding another 13w's so that the back of the tank gets some light. The light I added fits between the filter and the existing light.

I can take a picture if anyone is interested......

Rob
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-09-2005, 03:35 AM
Planted Member

yes please post some

"Even if I died in the service of the nation, I would be proud of it. Every drop of my blood... will contribute to the growth of this nation and to make it strong and dynamic."
Indira Gandhi

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-09-2005, 04:57 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
after i retrofitted mine, I simply popped out the little black rubber thingy for the old switch. Since hot air rises, made a good vent and kept the tank a little cooler. On hot summer days (I have no air conditioning), I just move the little liftable lid down about an inch.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-10-2005, 02:36 AM
Planted Member

I upgraded a 6 gallon when i lived in georgia but it was a top off restoration "80 watts". I am about to start another one here and wannt to keep the clean lines.

Does anyone know of a better install than ahsupply's?

"Even if I died in the service of the nation, I would be proud of it. Every drop of my blood... will contribute to the growth of this nation and to make it strong and dynamic."
Indira Gandhi

Last edited by Zach987; 11-11-2005 at 03:34 AM.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode