Fluval 305 on a 8g tank? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-09-2012, 02:26 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Fluval 305 on a 8g tank?

Looking at a used Canister filter for my planted 8g, and found a deal on a fluval 305.the 305 is rated for 70 gallons and output of 260 gallons per hour. I hear flow is critical on a planted tank and you should aim for ~6x gph to tank volume. This setup would be more like 30x.

Question is, will this ruin my tank with that much power?

I plan on upgrading to lily pipes later but would consider a spray bar as I hear that cuts flow.

Ps: it looks like everyone loves Eheim on here but I can't find anything for less than 2x the price of a fluval in my area (Canada) and shipping is a killer for anything off amazon/eBay/etc. Thx

Current Tank:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[Buildup Questions
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
] |

Previous Tank:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-09-2012, 02:57 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (177/100%)
overfiltration is always preferred in fish tanks but not always so in planted tanks. Given the turnover volume of the filter, the intake will create a powerful suction, likely affecting the tank inhabitants and the return will likely create too powerful of a current within the tank. In other words, 305 will easily overpower the tank regardless of lily piping or otherwise mods.

The Fluval 305 had some reported flaws in design which were reengineered in the 306. The priming system now works, the aquastop valves are less likely to leak and the lock clamps were improved. I cant recall how many times my clips broke on my eheim canister over the years, though it had served about 5 years of duty.

This all comes down to personal preference and of course budget. a basic HOB may do all that you need for under $30. shouldnt need to spend too much money on filtration for a planted tank. You'll likely want to make sure water is being circulated while the plants do their work on the nutrients in the water column...

"I am Groot", the faithful protector
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-09-2012, 11:26 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
eheim is overrated imo, people just buy it because other people buy it on this site, you will be fine with even a red sea nano filter, the turnover rate doesn't need to be x6 at all, I have multiple tanks with x2 and they all do just fine

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 01:02 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Appreciate the input thx. I actually have a spare ac20 but it won't work with the glass lid. I lost 2 rasboras on the first night (jumpers) so I want to keep the lid. Crap, now that I think about it.. I'm going to have a tough time getting filter hoses/pipes in there too with that lid. Might need to think this through further..

Current Tank:

[Buildup Questions
|
] |

Previous Tank:

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode