Under-substrate heater - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 02:34 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Under-substrate heater

As I am planning out my first high tech planted nano, I have some questions about cord heaters. I did not use these in either of my large planted tanks (55g & 150g) but they look interesting and I like the concept behind them. I also like the thought of not having an ugly heater in the tank. What are your thoughts?
I decided agains them in my larger tanks because of the cost, but fora small show tank do you think they would be a good fit? Is there anyone out there currently usuing them or that has prior experience?
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 04:03 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I would be worried about if they ever failed, you would have to tear up your scape to replace them... just a thought.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 06:16 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

The thought had crossed my mind, but I guess after having the seal/seams on my 150 gallon tall planted tank fail and having to tear it down to save the fish, not once but twice, this would be a minor inconvenience. Nothing like racing the clock with a leaking tank...

I guess the question is, would the benefits outway the risk of a failure?

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 07:19 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Well, other than another wire to run up the background and out, it would minimize its presence in the aquarium, but most that want to unclutter their tank will use an inline heater, although those can be bigger. If the filter is in a cabinet below I would go that route, then nothing in the tank at all as far as heating is concerned. I have not seen many use undergravel filters that have posted here....

|
|
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 07:33 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

That is another good option. My thoughts originally on the under gravel heater were that they claim to promote root growth, but inline is also an option. What are the most popular canister/external filters?
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 07:49 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Hopefully others will chime in with the Eheim filter that is popular, I dont know the number.. maybe 2213? If the filter will be below the tank, I hear the eheims are the way to go. Then the Hydor inline could be hidden down below with it. If the filter can't be below, maybe a zoomed or a finnex. These make it tougher to hide the heater, but it can still be outside instead of in the tank.

I did hear that they promote root growth as well, I would just rather not have any cords in the tank. Personally I have to have the filter behind the tank, and I personally dont use a heater at all on that small tank. I do use the hydor inline on my 55 gallon and I absolutely love it...

|
|

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode