CRS Fighting? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-05-2012, 09:00 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
CRS Fighting?

Do CRS fight? I have 6 which ive had for about 2 and a half months and the last 3 days they seem to be 'fighting' between themselves and they are doing alot of 'flying' too which they dont usually do, im not sure how to sex them (im waiting for them to breed) but one seems to have a wider tail than the other 5 and its the one thats chased most so I was wondering if it was possibly a female?
They seem to go for my neon tetras too and them the shrimp, would it be wise to remove them or will they be fine together? Im aware that some of the babies will get eaten, im just hoping not all of them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-05-2012, 10:00 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (177/100%)
It's actually shrimp courtship which normally trails after a female molts and saddles.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"I am Groot", the faithful protector
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-05-2012, 10:10 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

And as if by magic the one I suspected was female has eggs only just came downstairs now and looked lol

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-05-2012, 10:12 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Should I remove the neons or will they be fine? Its not 'heavily' planted but has about 10cm by 10cm of cuba which is about 3cm high.

Is there anything 'special' I should do to care for her or is everything fine?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-05-2012, 10:28 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evangeline View Post
And as if by magic the one I suspected was female has eggs only just came downstairs now and looked lol
Congrats!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evangeline View Post
Should I remove the neons or will they be fine? Its not 'heavily' planted but has about 10cm by 10cm of cuba which is about 3cm high.

Is there anything 'special' I should do to care for her or is everything fine?
Depending on the maturity of the mother, eggs are normally carried 5-6 weeks before they hatch. Mark your calendar. Crs have a much smaller survival rate than their neocaridinas cousins so I would suggest moving the fish out by the fourth week or placing the momma within an in tank breeder so the water conditions are maintained. I currently have cardinal tetras and cpd with my rcs and go about their day without any interaction though they share the same various levels of the tank together. The practice of protecting baby fry should hold true for shrimp since others would eat Molly,platy,guppy fry without intervention. The benefit of shrimp is they don't eat their own children but other fish will. Shrimp are less tolerant of water changes so moving the fish might be a better idea, at least for a few months while the Shrimps develop.

Don't change the water during this time, or do as little as possible as a molt will force her to drop the eggs, by which you will have to play surrogate to recover and hatch.

Berried mommas will tend to be less active towards the end of the pregnancy. Any excess activity may force random eggs toe dropped. They are highly stressed at the time so providing sufficient cover and hiding places will make her feel more comfortable and secure.

In my tank, I have a high population of mts snails that often take over feeding sessions and box out the shrimp. Consider moving these guys to another tank to let the momma feed without having to fight in a shrimp and snail ball.

Good luck.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-05-2012, 10:36 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I only have 4 snails and when I do feed them no one rushe to the food, they rarely eat it as theres so much algae in there they must eat that instead, I specially bought Hikari Shrimp Cuisine, Hikari Micro Wafers and Hikari Mini Algae Wafers, they even eat the Aquarian Tropical Flakes and some frozen brineshrimp and garlic or brineshrimp and spirulina.

Are brineshrimp okay for CRS? Its the only food the CRS seem to swim to catch.

The mum shrimp has lost alot if her white colouring too and theres a moullted skin in there which could only fit her as shes the biggest so would the colour loss be stress or due to moulting? Ive never witnessed them moulting and hardly ever see the moults afterwards so dont know what happens to them.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-05-2012, 10:39 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Btw, if all goes well, you'll start seeing small peppermint colored things walking around in the tank. Consider getting some baby shrimp food. I have had success using borne no wild bebi. A single bottle will likely last years. Mosura and kirakura sell equivalent products as well. If you haven't used any shrimp supplements yet check out the borneowild product review started by hedge fund. Many testimonials contributed, including my own. I recommend the water supplements over foods as their survival in the near ideal water conditions are more important to me than foods adding coloring.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-05-2012, 10:51 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

The others keep pestering her, will it cause her to drop the eggs? Will a mesh type breeder cage be better to keep her in? Im getting an ADA tank monday, got it for £80 on ebay, brand new never used with £50 worth of ADA aquasoil included and an extra £50 for 20kg of Seiryu Stone, I already have 10kg so I have alot of rock to choose for my new tank but wasnt planning on setting it up till we moved so we dont ruin it while moving it but as they are in an edge I dont think I can fit a breeder thing in it.
I also have a small tank about the size of the edge, would it be better to transfer mum into that with no gravel but quite a bit if moss as a temporary rearing tank?
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-05-2012, 04:25 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I would remove the tetras. I had cardinal tetras and then I switched the shrimp to their own tank... They are more active now.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-03-2012, 06:00 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

So its only been 4 weeks and Ive just seen 4 baby shrimp about 2mm big? I read they are about pinprick size :/ Mum shrimp still also had her eggs about an hour and a half ago as I was taking out the neon tetras to return them to the shop. So is it possible shes already had them?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode