Nano tank with a sump? Need input. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-31-2012, 06:01 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Nano tank with a sump? Need input.

Has anyone done this in the planted NANO tank scene? I'm planning out my 12 gal long project in the near future and was thinking going sump style with a CPR overflow box. I did a sump with my 44 gal 10 years ago and I loved the constant water line, no calcium lines, and surface skimming effect, as well as the other advntages a sump provides. I'm guessing most people don't because they like to keep shrimp in nano tanks, budget, and it would take up a lot more space, defeating the purpose of "nano." I've seen only one 12 gal tank with a sump but it was a saltwater tank. Think it was posted in the 12 gal club thread.

Any thoughts or opinions?

CURRENT:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, 75 gal Cichlid Tank
CLUBS:
,***Nikon Pimp #062***
RETIRED:

Owner/Creator of Plantednanotanks.com

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-31-2012, 06:44 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I found this, I dont remember if it answers questions you have, but I remembered about this thread after seeing yours

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...ight=nano+sump

|
|
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-31-2012, 06:58 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozydego View Post
I found this, I dont remember if it answers questions you have, but I remembered about this thread after seeing yours

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...ight=nano+sump
Interesting and creative. Doing that on a glass tank would be challenging but I would be willing to learn how to drill a glass tank. I'm planning on sinking big money on this 12 gal long just because.

I guess what I really want to know is how would the plumbing need to be adjusted? I remember using, I think 1/2 or 3/4 plumbing on my 44 gal tank. Would I have to make proportianal adjustments in size of tubes and plumbing line? Adding reducers and using smaller pvc or abs pipes? Not sure if I'm making sense.

I was even contemplating a "bean animal's overflow" type of build. That design is sweet.

CURRENT:
, 75 gal Cichlid Tank
CLUBS:
,***Nikon Pimp #062***
RETIRED:

Last edited by CryptKeeper54; 07-31-2012 at 07:09 PM. Reason: typo

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-31-2012, 07:01 PM
Planted Member

get something like a 12x8x8 and just make it a mini sump with a 400-500lh return pump

This is my sump now on the 120g, bigger I know but a mini version could be built easily and thinking about it has actually made me want to do it for my 10g lol

Dirt tank - 120g 120cm x 60cm x 76cm ( under construction )
Shrimp tank - 10g 60cm x 30cm x 35cm ( under construction )
The Fraternity of Dirt #93
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-31-2012, 08:16 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (42/100%)
This is the best overflow for nano's. It still might be a little big for a 12g. I wish they made them for bigger tanks.

http://www.aquatouch.com/Mame%20Design%20Overflow.html

-

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-01-2012, 12:15 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannylc View Post
get something like a 12x8x8 and just make it a mini sump with a 400-500lh return pump

This is my sump now on the 120g, bigger I know but a mini version could be built easily and thinking about it has actually made me want to do it for my 10g lol
I'm wondering if the diameter of the abs plumbing needs to be reduced for lower flow, smaller systems.

I'm thinking of a wet/dry sump like the one plantbrain uses for his tanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by antbug View Post
This is the best overflow for nano's. It still might be a little big for a 12g. I wish they made them for bigger tanks.

http://www.aquatouch.com/Mame%20Design%20Overflow.html
Cool. I remember seeing that before but it doesn't even seem like it's for sale. Just a prototype or not enough demand or something. Never seen it in action, wonder how loud it gets.

CURRENT:
, 75 gal Cichlid Tank
CLUBS:
,***Nikon Pimp #062***
RETIRED:

Last edited by CryptKeeper54; 08-01-2012 at 12:25 AM. Reason: added content

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode