10 Gallon Planted.....need advice - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 04:43 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
10 Gallon Planted.....need advice

I've got a 10 gallon planted tank. Some wisteria, anubius nana, red wendii, dwarf hairgrass, and some kind of dwarf lily from a bulb. I also have a piece of mopanni wood as well. Seachem planted substrate with sand on top. As far as the fish go, although i think it might be over stocked, i house 2 neon tetras, 3 cardinals, 3 green coridoras, 2 female bettas, and a hand full of ghost shrimp. Oh, and two mystery snails. For lighting i use two 13W CFL's @ 6500K. Basically, my questions are:

Can i get bette lighting?

I've posted pics and i was wondering if it was some kind of algae or if it is from the mopanni tanis?

And my plants have been showing weird signs do i dont know if it is under fertilized, over saturated with light or peramiters, or a mix of all, lol!

I attached links to all, Started tank, problem signs, and rescaped and trimmed tank. Any help would be awesome. This is my practice tank before i move to the big leagues. Thanks

Started:

Problems:

Rescaped:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 02:52 PM
Planted Member

I think your growth looks good to me so far. I don't think you need more light, in fact I would try two 9watt 6500k instead and see if that helps. You could dose some Excel or try EI dosing if you want but in my opinion if you want to keep things simple just lower your light a tad.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-27-2012, 02:39 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Really?! Lower them? Hmm, i thought the more light the better. Why do you suggest i should lower them? Not questioning your judgement, i'm just trying to learn so that i can be successful in this hobby. thanks.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-27-2012, 04:56 PM
Planted Member

Without dosing C02 or ferts the plants wont be able to utilize the additional light. Typical someone would give you a some crap about watts per gallon but at this point we know this "measurement" is useless.

What we really need to know is PAR value. But you don't have a PAR meter (most people don't) so your going to have to play with it things and see how the plants react. From the picture your plants look healthy to me. If it were me I would try injecting co2 or fertilizing before adding more light if your not happy with your growth. But adding ferts without the proper level of light and co2 will just cause algae blooms. You need to balance the three.

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-28-2012, 01:33 AM
Algae Grower

hi bud, nice tank, looks good for sure, as idleivey said More light does not mean that your plants will grow faster, for optimum plant growth you will need CO2 along with high light. if you just increase your light without co2 you will end up with a tank full of algae. many ppl have managed to get decent growth with DIY co2 but i personally think if you have the money go get a pressurized co2 cos you can control the co2 input. with diy co2 there will always be a change of Co2 fluctuation which will again promote algae.

Its your choice bud, but if you dont want to use co2 , then make sure you don't use more lighting. just keep adding seachem Excel (its supplement for CO2)and other plant supplement with the same amt of lighting and you will have a stable and algae free tank.

Also one of your pic shows brown algae in your glass,
so my guess is its a new tank if it is then its usually because of Excess silicates & nitrates, in your case lighting is fine.
this is what i found for you**** "Brown algae is a common occurrence in a newly set up aquarium. It is generally caused by too little light, an excess of silicates, an abundance of nutrients, and too little oxygen. Silicates can build up through tap water that is high in silicic acid, and silicates that leech from some types of substrates"

The best thing for you to do is to perform regular water changes once or twice a week for sure 10 to 20%. Make sure you are using water conditioner to remove harmful content from tap water. one of the best one i think is seachem PRIME but diff ppl use diff products whichever suits you buy that. Buy a water test kit nd thats all
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-28-2012, 05:20 AM
Wannabe Guru

I wouldn't increase the lighting if it's working for you now. If you really want better lighting, or stronger lighting, you're gonna have to add co2 and ferts, and get into doing weekly water changes. If you leave it for now as a low tech setup, and a low fish population, you can get away with little to no water changes and just fertilize once in a while. Depends what you want to do. The brown stuff on the mopani is diatom algae wich will go away on its own.

Eheim Pimp Club,# 496

7g cube, 12g long
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-01-2012, 02:23 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Well i've taken all your suggestions into consideration. I thank you all for the knowledge and input. I went out today and bought API Leaf Zone and API co2 Booster. I take it you add the co2 in the morning when the lights come on and the ferts once a week. For now im not going to use pressurized co2 because i cannot afford it for all my tanks. Im also setting up (or preparing supplies) to set up a 75G planted. so this 10g is my learning and experimenting tank. In the 75 tank i will definately use pressurized co2. I have the 75g tank and stand with hood. I just bought the eheim 2076E filter which seems awesome, can't wait to try it. I still need the lights and substrate though, just dont have enough money to spare cause i got 5 kids! Life is busy, lol.

I understand the relationship now though, and i will try and keep a happy mix of the three. co2, light and ferts. I got this, thanks planted tank community. Take care.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-01-2012, 02:29 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanzzzz View Post
hi bud, nice tank, looks good for sure, as idleivey said More light does not mean that your plants will grow faster, for optimum plant growth you will need CO2 along with high light. if you just increase your light without co2 you will end up with a tank full of algae. many ppl have managed to get decent growth with DIY co2 but i personally think if you have the money go get a pressurized co2 cos you can control the co2 input. with diy co2 there will always be a change of Co2 fluctuation which will again promote algae.

Its your choice bud, but if you dont want to use co2 , then make sure you don't use more lighting. just keep adding seachem Excel (its supplement for CO2)and other plant supplement with the same amt of lighting and you will have a stable and algae free tank.

so my guess is its a new tank if it is then its usually because of Excess silicates & nitrates, in your case lighting is fine.
this is what i found for you**** "Brown algae is a common occurrence in a newly set up aquarium. It is generally caused by too little light, an excess of silicates, an abundance of nutrients, and too little oxygen. Silicates can build up through tap water that is high in silicic acid, and silicates that leech from some types of substrates"

The best thing for you to do is to perform regular water changes once or twice a week for sure 10 to 20%. Make sure you are using water conditioner to remove harmful content from tap water. one of the best one i think is seachem PRIME but diff ppl use diff products whichever suits you buy that. Buy a water test kit nd thats all
Yup, it's a new tank, about 7 weeks now. I got a lot going on in that thing. New mopani drift wood and such. I went out and bought an API master test kit and since then i've got everything running at optimal levels. I usually do a 50% water change weekly, so it might just be that it is setting up still. I went and got AP leaf zone and co2 booster as well. So we will see if it helps any. I appreciate all your help brother, thanks.

Whats seachem prime? is it like dechlorinizer and stresscoat all in one kind of thing? i use tetra aquasafe plus for water changes, does that suck? lol
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-05-2012, 04:28 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanzzzz View Post

So i've been using Prime here recently and i really like how it works. No issues at all and the fish seem healthy and happy. However, it is expensive!! I only have Petsmart locally and have to order almost everything. I ran into a couple of articles and some youtube videos and gave POND PRIME a go. It is exactly the same except it is more concentrated. It's also made by Seachem. On Prime a capfull does 50G and in Pond Prime a capfull does 100G. But other than that it is the same thing. The big difference is the price. A bottle of seachem prime can do up to 1000 gallons in a 100ml bottle for roughly $14 at petsmart where as a 2L of pond prime does up to 45,000 gallons for under $30 on Dr.fosters and smith. I've provided a pic showing the current sales price. Please correct me if i'm wrong but it seems to be exaclty the same product but with different concentrations. So far it has worked just fine for me too! Hopefully this helps you guys and gals save some money in these tight times. Take care.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode