What fish should I put in my 5 gallon cube - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 01:04 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)
What fish should I put in my 5 gallon cube

Hi, I've decided to convert my work shrimp tank into a fish tank. Tank is planted with Aquasoil substrate, several types of crypts, some mini-pelia, tropica, etc. Dwarf water lettuce with big ol roots hanging down.

Water going in is GH around 6~7, KH <2. PH <7.

What I'm looking for
- Fish that will be happy in a 5 gallon cube. That's probably my #1 priority is that they be happy. Just about every fish I look at, I'll find people saying they'll do fine in a small tank, and other sources saying they need something much bigger than what I have. No idea who to trust, so I figured I'd throw it out to you TPT folks to share your experiences.
- Ideally the fish should be happy in in the mid-70's. I'd prefer not to have to heat the tank up to 78. (I originally wanted sparkling gouramis, but everything I've found puts 78 as their minimum temp)
- Fish should be adult shrimp safe. I'll likely have either yellow or orange neos in the tank. I'm aware all fish eat baby shrimp. That's OK. I just don't want them picking apart the adults.
- Fish that can survive on flake or micro-pellets. Sorry, I'm not doing live food cultures and bringing them to work.

Fish I've been looking at:
- Sparkling Gourami (See complaint above about tank temp)
- Chili Rasboaras (Some sites say I need a bigger tank)
- Microdevario kubotai (Some sites say I need a bigger tank)

So, what do you folks think would do well in my cube?
(No Endlers)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 01:09 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Ohh im going to tag along cus i want to see what people say

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Fraternity of Dirt #95
~Asking Dumb Questions so i Dont Make Dumb Mistakes.~ Me
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 01:35 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
They do like a bit more room, but white cloud minnows have no issues with cooler temps. Black skirt tetras might be fine as well, since they can take cooler temps

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 01:50 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
All of your options sound great. I've kept both sparkling gourami and phoenix rasboras in a 2.5 gallon tank and they were fine. My office tank is unheated although it seems to stay at 78 degrees so that probably doesn't help your case.

You could have quite a few chili rasboras in a 5 gallon. Probably 15+. I've never had them but I don't think they're much bigger than phoenix rasboras and I have 11 of those in a 2.5 right now.

I love microdevario kubotai. I've never owned any so I can't comment, but I imagine they'd be a great choice.

Other options would be celestial pearl danios, a dwarf puffer, ember tetra, pseudomugil gertrudae, pygmy cories, scarlet badis, any other microrasboras.

If you go with sparkling gourami or scarlet badis you can probably only keep one male of each but they will mix fine with other small fish.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 03:07 AM
Algae Grower

In my experience chili rasboras are much less active then microdevario kubotai, so in a small tank they may be a better choice (though I'm sure either would be fine). Either fish will take flake well.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 03:14 AM
Planted Member

i would say 3 neon tetras. dose this cube have a filter or air stone?
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 03:28 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kehy View Post
They do like a bit more room, but white cloud minnows have no issues with cooler temps. Black skirt tetras might be fine as well, since they can take cooler temps
5gal is too small for black skirts.. I have a school of them in my 50long and they use the whole length easily and get to large bodied IMHO.. I would only do microrasbora, dwarf puffer, white minnow, endlers, killiefish or a betta. I don't think any tetra would really enjoy it.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 04:57 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

So to answer questions:
- I do have a heater in the tank. I have it set at 74 to keep the shrimp happy. I prefer to keep the tank on the cooler side, not only for shrimp, but for ammonia. But there's no worry for the water dropping below that.
- The tank has a sponge filter designed for 20 gallons. I can also always throw a HOB on it.
- The tank is over 1 year old, so nice and broken in. Although I'll probably go easy on the fish, adding just a few at a time.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 05:03 AM
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via AIM to CatB Send a message via Skype™ to CatB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1239 View Post
i would say 3 neon tetras. dose this cube have a filter or air stone?
BAD idea they like to school and suffer when they're not in a properly sized group (NOT three, more like 6-8+)
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 05:04 AM
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via AIM to CatB Send a message via Skype™ to CatB
Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaPipes View Post
So to answer questions:
- I do have a heater in the tank. I have it set at 74 to keep the shrimp happy. I prefer to keep the tank on the cooler side, not only for shrimp, but for ammonia. But there's no worry for the water dropping below that.
- The tank has a sponge filter designed for 20 gallons. I can also always throw a HOB on it.
- The tank is over 1 year old, so nice and broken in. Although I'll probably go easy on the fish, adding just a few at a time.
you say it's "broken in," but is it cycled? have you been feeding it with some source of ammonia so the bacteria doesn't die? sorry if i sound condescending, i just want to make sure you don't have problems in the future!
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 05:05 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Yeah, I don't think Tetra's would like such a small cube.
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 08:51 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd
The only fish I have enjoyed in a tank that is 10 gallon or less are guppies. Every other fish I have tried just doesn't seem to have much behavior, compared to a larger tank. That would be a variety of Tetra species.

-Matt

post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 01:31 PM
Wannabe Guru

Check out this link. Of the various species of boraras out there, I would recommend the b.brigittae (chili rasbora) and you can keep a fair sized school of them in that tank. Their colours can't be matched.
http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.u...t.php?sid=2713

Eheim Pimp Club,# 496

7g cube, 12g long
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 05:14 PM
Planted Member

I had some ember tetras in a 5 gallon and their behavior was not ideal. They were especially shy and hid all the time. I have them in a 10 gallon now with some white cloud minnows and they are out and about & constantly looking for food. Excellent. I don't know what exactly happened that changed their behavior. It may have been having the brave wcmm's around to make them feel safer or the bigger space or some other factor.

15+ chili rasbora in a 5 gallon? OOOOHH... Is their behavior a lot like the rasbora heteromorpha?
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 05:25 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Ok, so looks like my initial though on using Chili Rasboras will be ok. Any suggestion for a contrasting fish to put in there?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode