New to the hobby -got the tank, now what? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-24-2012, 08:10 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Talking New to the hobby -got the tank, now what?

Hi all, I've kept aquariums in the past but never something comparable to a planted tank. I'm excited and just picked up a 5 gal and some substrate.

Now what? After looking around here, I've decided on (so far):
  • Finnex Nano Pure Power Filter
  • Finnex Aquarium Nano Refugium Cliplight (including 6500k Bulb & Moonlight LED)
Question is, can I even use that filter? Do I need a heater? Not going with an C02 setups (imo, tanks too small for something so elaborate now)
As for plants, I'm looking to get some Riccia, Pellia and some Marimo balls. Then later on, some shrimps!
What do you guys think? I welcome comments that state the obvious since I'm rather new at it and haven't got down any lingo.
(sorry mods for posting a similar thread in 'California')
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-24-2012, 09:41 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (26/100%)
Welcome to TPT!

I'm not familiar with that filter, but I think that's the same light I have. If it is, that's going to be a lot of light for a 5 gallon tank. I have it over a 25g tank and it grows moss, riccia, crypts, and ferns. Since you're also planning on low light plants I would say go for a light that's either less wattage or something that you can adjust the height. Fluval makes a 13w clip on light if you like that look. No moonlight though.

As far as a heater, that depends on what you plan on keeping and the temperature of your house. A shrimp only tank can be kept at a cooler temperature while a betta prefers warm water. Also keep in mind that fluctuations from day to night matter. The good thing about a heater is it keeps it at a constant temperature.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-24-2012, 10:08 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)
Well the filter, at that small size you could probably get away with very little filtration depending on how planted the tank is just make sure you do regular water changes, a sponge filter would probably be enough they take little space and wouldnt suck your baby shrimps up. I would use a heater just in-case they sell little ones at wal-mart for around 8 bucks. What's your plan on substrate? gravel...sand ? Mud?

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-25-2012, 10:36 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks, for the tips!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDoss1985 View Post
What's your plan on substrate? gravel...sand ? Mud?
The store I went to gave me some Amazonia (sp?) substrate they had extra of.
Now I'm just waiting for some goodies in the mail.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 02:15 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Send a message via Skype™ to Trickerie
If its ADA Amazonia thats some top of the line stuff Maybe be depleted a bit but still good.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 01:23 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
The filter should work well, I've read it's a good quality unit at that, because I was also interested in finding a good nano filter. You really don't need a heater nor do you need CO2, unless you want to add excel. The substrate is the best out there imo. My only concern would be the light intensity might be a bit much for what you're wanting to grow.

Eheim Pimp Club,# 496

7g cube, 12g long
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-01-2012, 09:01 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Updated pics!
Bought some frogbit and dwarf hairgrass from a local (+ some hitchhiking snails). Random and unplanned!
Received my Marina s15 filter in the mail, larger than I realized but I'm too lazy to return it. It's SUPER quiet though!

Hm, slight yellowing of frogbit, due to insufficient lighting? I'm waiting for my light to come in a day or two. Don't forget, I'm completely new at this!!

Last edited by iris; 08-01-2012 at 09:07 PM. Reason: `
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-01-2012, 09:07 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Send a message via Skype™ to Trickerie
You can always open that window until then.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-01-2012, 09:13 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trickerie View Post
You can always open that window until then.
I'm still trying to find a good place for the tank! Decided against putting it in my bedroom b/c there is no space. I placed it near the front door b/c it is supposed to be good "feng shui" (Chinese geomancy).
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-02-2012, 12:44 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
Break up the hairgrass into much smaller clumps. It takes a little time, but it will grow in much better/faster.
Good luck with the new tank!

[50g][
][
][
][
][
][
][
][
][3g][2.1g] - [
] [
][
]
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-02-2012, 01:15 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Also you can try some java moss, anubias, java fern and crypts. They are small low light tolerant and grows slowly.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 03:52 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Update: Finally received my Finnex light from Amazon ($33.99). I know some members might feel it is too much light, but it looks awesome for now

Frogbit is doing a lot better

Some snail eggs!

What should my next step be? Suggestions welcome!
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 04:22 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by iris View Post
Update: Finally received my Finnex light from Amazon ($33.99). I know some members might feel it is too much light, but it looks awesome for now

Frogbit is doing a lot better

Some snail eggs!

What should my next step be? Suggestions welcome!
You need a hardscape now. This is the main focal point of your tank. It could be driftwood or rocks, whatever you decide. Also, like bitFUUL, I suggest you break up the DHG into smaller clumps.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 10:10 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
I think thats Dwarf water lettuce
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 06:26 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalmackdaddy View Post
I think thats Dwarf water lettuce

Hmm, dwarf water lettuce leaves look a bit more elongated to me. Either way, I love floating plants

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode