how to start a bowl? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-22-2012, 04:42 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (26/100%)
how to start a bowl?

I want to start a Walstad style bowl. I have pretty much everything I will need for my bowl. (Except for rocks, driftwood, and plants!)

1 bag of Miracle Grow Organic Potting Soil
1 bag of Black Aquarium Sand
1 Walmart Bowl 1.5g
1 API Master Test Kit
1 Desk Lamp (20w @2900k)

I don't want this bowl to use any filtration, heaters, co2, or a fertilizer schedule.
I have some aquarium salt, Novaqua+, and Amquel+, will those be useful in this tank? (Well the Novaqua+ is for fish and inverts right?)
Should I buy some root tabs, or do you guys think I'll be alright without them?
Also, is there anything else I might need?

I plan on looking in the swap and shop for plants (or maybe a pet store if I see any great looking plants). They need to be low light and hardy, since I have such a small lamp. I would like a large stump or rock to set in the middle of the bowl, but haven't found what I am looking for yet

My tap water params are:
pH: 7.4 Am: <.025 Ni: 0 Na: 0
I don't have tests for gh and kh (it seems like the API ones are hard to use anyways) will I need these?

All advice and suggestions are welcome

Thanks,
thebuddha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-25-2012, 04:07 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Have you looked up Newman's shrimp bowls on this forum? Do a search, his specs will give you an idea of how to get started. Basically, you lay down some wet dirt and cap it with sand, most of the time. The point of using soil is to add nutrients for your plants to use, so you don't need root tabs if going that route. You do need root tabs if you use only inert sand.

Good for your for getting a master water test kit!

No need for salt or those other additives. You may want some Seachem Flourish to fertilize the bowl and get the plants going. That stuff is great to hand on hand for any future tanks you might set up.

Low light plants that are small include anubias petite and various crypts such as crypt parva or even crypt wendtii. Dwarf sag is very cheap and very pretty. Java fern is another option, which can be attached to rock or wood with string. Moss such as christmas moss would look nice. Subwassertang is also nice! You have a lot of options. What kind of look are you going for?

Well, before you answer that, take a look at Newman's works of art. They are just awesome.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-25-2012, 04:32 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (26/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabysapha View Post
Have you looked up Newman's shrimp bowls on this forum? Do a search, his specs will give you an idea of how to get started. Basically, you lay down some wet dirt and cap it with sand, most of the time. The point of using soil is to add nutrients for your plants to use, so you don't need root tabs if going that route. You do need root tabs if you use only inert sand.

Good for your for getting a master water test kit!

No need for salt or those other additives. You may want some Seachem Flourish to fertilize the bowl and get the plants going. That stuff is great to hand on hand for any future tanks you might set up.

Low light plants that are small include anubias petite and various crypts such as crypt parva or even crypt wendtii. Dwarf sag is very cheap and very pretty. Java fern is another option, which can be attached to rock or wood with string. Moss such as christmas moss would look nice. Subwassertang is also nice! You have a lot of options. What kind of look are you going for?

Well, before you answer that, take a look at Newman's works of art. They are just awesome.

yes, newmans bowls are what made me want to turn my empty bowl into a planted one. i have some seachem flourish excel, is that what your talking about as a base fert?
some plants i like the looks of are: HC, green cabomba, micro sword, sußwassertang, and large frogbit. I also may get some dwarf sag, dwarf hairgrass, or pygmy chain sword.

i picked up some seachem root tabs from my LFS, idk if i will use them yet.
do you think a gh and kh test kit is needed/necessary ?

thanks for commenting gabysapha

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-25-2012, 06:16 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
I think this is what you're looking for https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=150219

Eheim Pimp Club,# 496

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

7g cube, 12g long

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode