Shrimp bowl lighting - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-21-2012, 12:59 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (12/100%)
Shrimp bowl lighting

So I'd like to do a smaller shrimp bowl at my office. The problem I have is there are no windows and I can't plug in a light. What are my options for lighting if I wanted to do one?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-21-2012, 02:14 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (44/100%)
Um.. no sun light, no electricity... Flash light?

That's a lot of batteries to go through.

current:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

| retired:

|
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-21-2012, 12:22 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Well we have electricity but being the military and all there is rules and regulations we have to follow for power consumption.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-21-2012, 01:51 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (487/100%)
It's going to be tough to power a light source strong enough to operate for 6-8 hours per day without electricity, unfortunately. Unless you've got a large UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply) that you can take home with you each night to charge up. And even that's not going to work in the long-term, as the units tend to wear out.

You could potentially find a USB-powered LED that's strong enough but you'd also have to have access to a USB port that can be used to supply all the power.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-21-2012, 03:10 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
It's going to be tough to power a light source strong enough to operate for 6-8 hours per day without electricity, unfortunately. Unless you've got a large UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply) that you can take home with you each night to charge up. And even that's not going to work in the long-term, as the units tend to wear out.

You could potentially find a USB-powered LED that's strong enough but you'd also have to have access to a USB port that can be used to supply all the power.
I could do a USB light. I'm a network administrator so I've definitely got plenty of those! Haha. Any recommendations?
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-21-2012, 03:42 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

No definitely clue, honestly, as it will depend upon what you're growing and what you plan to do in the end.

I've seen a ton of them on eBay, though.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-21-2012, 03:58 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

My only problem that I will have is there won't be a timer to turn on the lights on the weekends. During the week I can handle that but not on weekends....aye not gonna work.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-21-2012, 07:16 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

Guess there's always the chance that you could run some sort of program that put the USB port on a timer.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-21-2012, 07:54 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Yea I was doing some research on it and there is software however, I cannot install it as it's not authorized. I'm the local software manager for my base and it would look bad if I was the one with unauthorized software installed haha.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-21-2012, 08:08 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

Sounds like it's time for you to create some sort of solar-powered battery thing that you can swap out every couple days if you're really set on having a planted bowl.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-21-2012, 10:03 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I wasn't set...just thought it would be cool to have something on my desk is all. No biggie. Thanks everyone for the information!
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-24-2012, 02:29 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
This is an old thread, but why didn't anyone suggest to this guy to use low light plants.

Java moss, java fern, anubias will do just fine with ambient room light. Wouldn't need a light at all for the bowl.

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-24-2012, 03:41 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
Send a message via Skype™ to dougolasjr
I was in a similar situation. I purchased a USB/Solar lamp. I only really used the usb power way tho. I eventually swapped it out for a regular plug in lamp since I wanted more variety of plants.

BAMA AGAIN!!!
ROLL TIDE ROLL!!!
-Doug

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode