Noob with a 5 gallon hopefully to be planted tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-16-2012, 12:50 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Noob with a 5 gallon hopefully to be planted tank

Hello everyone,

Looking for some help and advice, have been lingering on this forum for the past 2 weeks.

I have a 5 gallon deep blue tank that is currently housing my tadpole who if beginning to grow legs (and apparently a few snails). It will be relocated to a 12x12x18 terrarium and I plan to make the tank into a planted aquarium. I’ve been doing some research and think I have a pretty good handle on what I need. I had a fish tank some 10 years ago as a child and now want a much nicer set up now.

In my searches of this forum and aquarium suppliers I have found a few products that I believe will suit my needs but I am not 100% sure if they are the best for what I want to do.

Filter:
I like the idea of canister filters as it leaves the tank with a cleaner appearance.
Either Eheim classic 2211 (or eheim ecco 2232 from petsmart for about the same price with higher flow)
or the Fluval 105

Light: This is my problem area, the tank is 16 inches wide and I can’t seem to find anything that appears decent quality and price in that size

Supreme Aqua 24w 24 inch dual t5 with adjustable brackets looks good (not sure if the excess overhang with cause an algae problem on the side glass?)
Also amazon has Wave-point 12-Inch 16-Watt Daylight Micro Sun LED High Output Clamp Light but I can not find any reviews so I'm hesitant to spend $80 on it.
Any suggestions for a light for my size tank that will provide enough light for plant growth would be great.

Substrate:
Either Up-Aqua Aqua Soil
or ADA Amazonia

Heater:
AquaTop 100watt

Co2 system:
Paintball tank or small medical tank (my dad works for a compressed gas company so refills on any co2 is not an issue) if I can get a high pressure regulator from m dad
Spio 3k diffuser
eBay drop checker
eBay bubble counter

Plants:
dwarf hairgrass
dwarf baby tears, Hc as it’s referred to around here?
Micranthum micranthemoides
Pogostemon helferi

Fish:
A few tetras (2-3 other nano fish, I know 5 gallon is small for to many fish)
Shrimp
Algae eater of some species

I want to go for an almost entirely covered tank (dwarf hg and hc carpeting most of the substrate) with some hardscape depending on what I can scape up for cheap. I want to accomplish something like icepotato89's 60cm iwagumi https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=139363&page=11

Different layout of course but that same bright, open and relaxing aura

Any advice on products/flora/fauna and procedures to setting up a new tank (have read up on the basics of cycling) in depth suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Thank you in advance

Last edited by plantednano; 07-16-2012 at 02:39 AM. Reason: mispelling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-16-2012, 01:37 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I had a 23watt CFL over my 5gal and it was high light for me. I actually to to raise it up a little b/c it turned into an algae farm. You can find some nice looking desk lamp so you can still keep a nice sleek look to it.

I think an Eheim Ecco 2232 would be way too much flow for a 5gal. I have one running on my 29gal and it's pretty decent flow in there. The 2211 might work for you if there's a way to adjust the flow.

Last edited by DishyFishy; 07-16-2012 at 01:37 AM. Reason: aSFD
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-16-2012, 07:34 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the tip, seemed like a lot but figured i could cut the flow down but will probably still be to high. I like the of the size of the 2211 anyway. The tank will be sharing a bookshelf with a frog terrarium so space is limited.

Any suggestions on filter media? I'd like to make the tank as low maintenance as possible bc I know a 5 gallon will already require a fair amount of work.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode