Newbie - unusual shaped 3g - plant stocking advice - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 04:49 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Newbie - unusual shaped 3g - plant stocking advice

Hello all,

I have a very unusually shaped 3g tank that I'm dying to build out with live plants a fish or two and some inverts. I have my eye on a dwarf crayfish, but have been reading VERY conflicted information about its space needs. If not that then some colorful shrimp.

On to my question.

My aquarium is a large snow globe 18 inch wide base that curves up slowly into a full dome at a height of roughly 9 inches. The middle though, has the water filter/air pump build into the center base, so I can't cover that with anything but a very porous decoration.

So what I'm looking for are some nice plants that can be planted around the center decoration, that will look good even if they can't grow higher than 4-7 inches. In addition, there is very little space at the top of the tank for gas exchange.

There are soo many options out there and my local planted tank was . . . . well after 20 minutes in the store, the clerk didn't even say hello to me. So really looking for some solid advice.

Preferably something a little low maintenance that can live off ambient sunlight (have the tank next to a window). I do have a built in UV light I can use as well which is supposed to mimic sunlight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 06:25 PM
Pelvicachromis Lover!

PTrader: (34/100%)
Can you post a pic? It would be helpful if you could tell us the brand and model of the tank.

My first concern is how will the tank perform oxygen/CO2 exchange if it has a fully closed circular top.

Vicki —Rena Filstar pimp #142 (four XP4s/three XP2s/one XP1) • Eheim pimp #301 (Pro II 2128) • Victor pimp #27 (VTS-253B-320)

• 90g -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe' —— • 75g -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Pelvicachromis pulcher 'Lagos Red'

• 29g -
Pelvicachromis pulcher 'unknown' —-- • 29g - Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe'
• 5g - RCS colony —————————————————— • 2.5g -
Retired
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 06:40 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Complexity - I don't really want to post a pic because I'm in the industry and it's my company tank, I don't want this to be an "advertising post". edit - it has a "closed" top, with ventilation, but the actual water surface touching air is only about a 2 inch across circle.

oxygen/co2 exchange doesn't really seem to be a problem. I have 3 coworkers with tanks set up and running fine. 2 salt, 1 fresh (I am doing fresh because I am new and salt seems more intense). Edit - we have been selling them on the market for 1 year +, a lot of fish stores carry them and use them with live fish to show the unit off.

One of the salts and the fresh have both been running for 1 year + with no issues.

My fresh water coworker has plants, but he likes to harvest his own plants from a natural pond he has turned into a hobby pond. I am getting great animal stocking tips from him, but he's never bought plants, so he's not much help.

His advice was "look for ones that don't grow very tall" lol.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 07:06 PM
Pelvicachromis Lover!

PTrader: (34/100%)
Well, if you hadn't said anything about you being in the industry, we wouldn't have known. However, without any info on the tank, all I can go on is your friend's advice.

So I would suggest trying crypt wendtii. There are also a number of different anubias you may like, some of which are small and would look good in a 3 gallon tank. The plant profiles at the top may be of help. Be sure to peruse the swap-n-shop forum, as well. I'd suggest sticking to lower light plants.

Vicki —Rena Filstar pimp #142 (four XP4s/three XP2s/one XP1) • Eheim pimp #301 (Pro II 2128) • Victor pimp #27 (VTS-253B-320)

• 90g -
Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe' —— • 75g -
Pelvicachromis pulcher 'Lagos Red'

• 29g -
Pelvicachromis pulcher 'unknown' —-- • 29g - Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe'
• 5g - RCS colony —————————————————— • 2.5g -
Retired
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 08:09 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Complexity -

Thanks for the tip, really liking the green gecko, going to pick some up on the way home!

I will post some picks once I have it set up and looking pretty.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 09:22 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Pooky125 Send a message via MSN to Pooky125 Send a message via Yahoo to Pooky125 Send a message via Skype™ to Pooky125
You might also want to look at some Windelov java ferns. They tend to stay small, bush out, and and require almost nothing in terms of nutrients. They could be either tied to a little piece of wood or rock, or, if the current isn't to strong, just set carefully on the substrate. Eventually, their roots will grow into the substrate, keeping them in place.

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-13-2012, 02:38 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I ended up going with a mix of plants. The store associate assured me that they just needed a nice holding spot and nutrients, but I don't trust it. I will have to see what happens.

I have added some pictures. Don't be to harsh, its my first tank in 20 years lol.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0109.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	50745  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0105.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	50747  

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode