Need Help with a Nano - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-28-2012, 03:24 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
Need Help with a Nano

So, I'm looking at setting up a planted nano on my desk at work. I'm thinking about maybe putting some shrimp in it at the most. What do you guys suggest to start out with? I was looking at the Fluval Spec or Aqueon Evove. I really like the Fluval Nano Flora, but I'm not sure if my boss will let me get anything with that large of a footprint. Anyways, what do you guys suggest? I know this is all a matter of opinion. I'm wanting to know how plants grow under the specific lights of the tanks, what you think of the filtration, etc

Laura

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-28-2012, 05:41 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (10/100%)
What size do you want? For the 2 gallon size I think the Fluval Spec is priced really high, but I do like that it is glass. I am going to be starting one more nano tank and I am going away from the AIO package kits to save money. But the AIO like the Spec and Evolve are not bad. There are also others like the Eheim nanos. Even up to the 4-5 gallon size the nano tanks are not really that big.

I have the Aqueon Evolve 4 and I like it but there are a few things I am going to change about it. First I am going to get a pump or at least modify the stock pump so it can go to a lower GPH setting. The stock pumps in the Evolve series tend to be too strong for tanks of their size, unless of course you are doing a nano reef. Second, the LED light that comes with it is not bad, but not its not enough light for any med-high light plants. I want to change out the lights and maybe get a Finnex FugeRay.

One last thing about the AIO, make sure you have something that blocks the overflow and any other holes that lead to the overflow. On the Evolve there is the overflow and a small hole below the overflow at the middle of the tank. I only blocked the overflow and spent 30 mins netting small shrimp from the back of the tank.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-14-2012, 05:36 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks! I checked out the spec, flora and evolves at PetsMart.... Think the nano project may be put on hold until after I get the 38 back up and running.

Laura

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-14-2012, 06:01 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
Some good beginner shrimp are RCS.

-Mike
Mini-M Journal:

Mini-M Journal 2:
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-15-2012, 04:06 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Yeah, I had some cherries before my angels decided to eat them for lunch :P

Laura

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode