Still problem with hair algae in nano! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-05-2005, 07:29 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Still problem with hair algae in nano!

Hello All,
A while ago I posted some messages asking for help to remove hair algae,
well its be a wil and still I got problems.

I have increased my co2 (well am trying, but not really sucessful) and have virtually stopped all fertilisation. I did a severe prunning and got most affected leaves.

After I stopped fertilising for a long while, I noticed that the algae growth slowed down a bit.
There was like a very short fuzz of hair algae, and I added 1 drop of liquid fertiliser (aqua sonic daily grow) and boom, algae growing like mad.

My question is that even though I increased my co2 (added second diy bottle) my Ph is still 7.5 .It never changes! Going by calculations on Chucks page, my co2 is not higher than 15ppm! What could be preventing my Ph from lowering? I do have kitty litter substrate, and could that be the culprit?

BTW I added one of my cherry barbs in the tank, cause I read that rosy barbs like hair algae ~ and cherry barbs are very close relatives I hope they have the same appitite.

Last edited by vwboy53; 06-05-2005 at 07:31 AM. Reason: spelling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-05-2005, 07:49 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwboy53
BTW I added one of my cherry barbs in the tank, cause I read that rosy barbs like hair algae ~ and cherry barbs are very close relatives I hope they have the same appitite.
I once had a hair algae problem that I eventually linked to dosing too much iron in the tank. I have severely cut down on the iron, and haven't had a problem since. As far as getting rid of the hair algae that I had, I wound up dipping most of the affected plants in a 20:1 water/bleach solution for 3 to 5 minutes (depending on hardiness of the plant), and they experienced no ill affects from doing so. I rinsed the plants until I could not detect a bleach smell, and then I put them back in the tank. The algae turned white almost immediately and sluffed off the plants within about 3 days. Prior to going the bleach route, I had bought 2 Rosy Barbs thinking that they might help the hair algae problem. I was dissappointed to find that the particular ones that I got didn't help anything. They are busy guys, constantly going around the tank picking at things, but the only things that they didn't pick at were the hair algae strands. I might have provided too much food for all of the inhabitants which might have discouraged the barbs from eating the hair algae.

I have never heard of cherry barbs eating hair algae, but even if I had, I would be skeptical.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-05-2005, 11:42 PM Thread Starter

I think I might try water/bleach dipping. It seems that I dont really have that much options left.
I did try it before on one plant, and the algae died immediately. However, the algae grew back.

I think I may have to change my fertiliser, as I believe my kitty litter is full of iron, and adding liquid fertiliser with iron only compounds to my problem.

Any recommendations for fertiliser with little / no iron?

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-07-2005, 05:51 AM
dom
Algae Grower

Increase the CO2 will preven the hair algae grow. (Normally it appear coz of lack of CO2 or strong lighting) But you still need to remove the hair algae manually. I am using the tooth brush and get it close to the hair algae. Just turn the tooth brush, all the hair algae will coming out...

What? Kitty litter for substrate? Yr water won't be smelly or salty? It will increase the level of PO4. That is why the algae grow.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
brand new forum for aquascaping hobbyist.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-10-2005, 03:19 AM Thread Starter

Well I have added a phosphate sponge, and also got fertiliser without iron, and so far after 2 days there has been no algae growth.
I tried increasing the co2 by adding second diy bottle, but I think I have a crappy mixture. I must tweak it abit.

BTW the kitty little substrate was an experiment to see if there is better plant growth with it. Then soon after I added more plants, and next thing you know I have my first planted tank.

Also the experiment results so far are ok. I believe my substrate has plenty of iron (probably excessive). Only problem is that if you get to the bottom of the substrate, a cloud appears, but I remedied this by adding more gravel.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode