Filtration on a 2.5 gallon tank? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-27-2012, 06:38 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (8/100%)
Filtration on a 2.5 gallon tank?

Finally have my first tank up and running with some very active Pumpkins, and I finally get to sit down and redo my mini tank I picked up this week.

It's a glass 2.5 gallon tank that's 12"L x 6"D x 8"H. Bigger than a bowl and long like I was looking for so they'd have a little room. I have a square of flame moss going in and a few pieces of random plants from shipments I've gotten in this week, and I moved a few ghosts in there as they've got nowhere else to go for now, but I am wondering about filtration?

I know you don't have to have any, but I'd like to have something in there. I have an extra sponge filter, but it's for a 20 gallon and will take up a whole corner of the tank. I saw a mini otb, but would prefer to have a sponge as it's much cheaper and would go better in a small tank me thinks. Can the 20 gal sponge be cut down?

I'm going to throw in an airstone for the time being just to get the water circulating a bit. Have a couple of fluval edge sponges that could possibly be rigged as well. Any advice is highly appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-27-2012, 06:43 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/100%)
Small sponge filter should work fine, and I don't see a reason you can't cut your own. If you go the way of a HOB, I recommend the Finnex PF5.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-27-2012, 06:43 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
I'd do it. As long as the bubbles still flow and create suction in the sponge it should work no problem.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-27-2012, 07:44 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
Azoo Palm HOBs are my favorite for 2.5 gallon tanks. I wrap clear fishing line around the intake so shrimplets can't get in and you can't even see it.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-27-2012, 07:50 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (26/100%)
I was going to suggest the Red Sea Nano, but I think it's the same as the Azoo Palm filter. I actually have an AC20 on a 2.5, but it's a little strong without a baffle. If you do go the HOB route, the Fluval Edge pre-filter sponge is a nice, small sponge to cover your intake. You could probably use it to make your own sponge filter too.

Last edited by rocksmom; 06-27-2012 at 09:45 PM. Reason: typo
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-27-2012, 08:45 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (8/100%)
I've looked at those palms, and they're nice but I've gotta stop spending sometime. Plugs are also a problem which is why I was leaning towards the sponge.

I took apart one of the sponge filters I have, and it's not goint to work without some rigging. I have the ATI Hydro-Sponge 2, and everything seems to line out until you try to hook the bulls eye into the bottom strainer and it doesn't match up. Maybe able to rig something, but for now it's looking like a no go.

Do they not make mini-sponge filters of some kind? I know there's a Hydro I, but it's still taller than what I'd like. Seems like there would be a marked for mini-sponge filters...

Tags
filtration, nano tank, pump, shirmp tank

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode