Preset nano heater? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-27-2012, 06:12 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (26/100%)
Preset nano heater?

I'm looking for a small heater to use in a 2.5g tank. The one I have in there currently is the Tetra one that is preset at 78 degrees, but it just looks so big in such a small tank. I was wondering if there is a smaller one with the same preset functionality. All the the small bowl/betta ones I find are the type that are just constantly on, which means the water temperature will still fluctuate. Anyone else been able to find a better nano heater?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-27-2012, 06:22 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd
Is your Tetra one glass? If so, I recommend getting rid of it ASAP. I have had two, both have failed, sticking on and getting my tanks really hot.

As for the little ones, they aren't very efficient from what I have read. This is probably a good thing they will likely keep the temp a bit more stable, assuming that the tank sees stable temperatures.

I personally will never use a heater on less than 10 gallons again. It just seems when something fails, it fails really badly. On bigger tanks, I have had heaters fail as well but they don't get hot enough to do damage before I catch it.

-Matt

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-27-2012, 06:35 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Yes, it is the glass one. I have two and they've both worked perfectly so far. Did they fail immediately as in a faulty unit? Or once they were older?

How do you keep the temperature stable in small tanks if you don't use heaters? The water in my 2.5 drops so fast at night or when we use the AC.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-27-2012, 06:49 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocksmom View Post
Yes, it is the glass one. I have two and they've both worked perfectly so far. Did they fail immediately as in a faulty unit? Or once they were older?

How do you keep the temperature stable in small tanks if you don't use heaters? The water in my 2.5 drops so fast at night or when we use the AC.
Don't quote me on the months, I am just guessing. On failed in about 3-4 months, the other was around 6 months. So not immediately but they didn't last long. I know I am not the only one with bad luck but people have used these units without problem, I have had enough problems to never trust them and researched after the fact to learn my experience was not exactly uncommon.

I don't do anything to keep my temps stable. My smallest tank is a 5 gallon though, not big but 2x as big as yours. I will throw an ice cubes in slowly on crazy hot days. I find that works best, keeping the tank cooler, rather than heating (assuming that's in reason).

I mostly stock fish that are not sensitive to cooler temps. Mostly guppies, endlers and RCS. I find they don't seem to mind fluctuation in temp either. I would say stocking has been my best defense.

-Matt

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-27-2012, 07:37 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (11/100%)
I use a Hagen 25w heater in a 2 gallon tank. Adjustable temps and works great.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-27-2012, 07:45 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by battered View Post
I use a Hagen 25w heater in a 2 gallon tank. Adjustable temps and works great.
I have those in my 5g and two 7.5g and they are nice. I adjust them a little higher for my bettas and lower for my dwarf puffer. They're just so big for such a small tank. I might break down and just get another one of those though, especially after hearing about talontsiawd's issues with the Tetra one. I really wish one of those little flat ones had a built in thermostat!
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-27-2012, 07:53 PM
Planted Tank Guru

You may want to do some research and I am not sure how small they get but I believe that heaters with external thermostats are more reliable in both temp durability. I believe they fail less and I believe that they don't stick on. I don't know a lot about them as I haven't used one. I know they make them pretty small as people use them inline and want to smallest physical size but I don't know if they are small wattage wise if one were to fail and stick on. Just an idea.

Another would be heating cables. They don't work very well for actually heating the tank but they may work well for stabilizing the temp. Again, something you would want to research.

Sorry, just throwing out ideas here, again, I just ditched my heaters and stocked accordingly after two failures, one being catastrophic and killing everything in the tank (luckily no livestock, I for some reason pulled out my guppies right before it happened but they would have not survived, no plants survived, temp was over 90 degrees).

-Matt

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-27-2012, 09:50 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Right now I'm thinking your stocking suggestion might be the best idea. There's currently a betta in the tank, but I don't even like keeping them in something that small. My other two are in 7.5g. I might move him into something bigger and put some shrimp and snails in instead. I think I'm going to order up a couple of the Hagen ones to replace the Tetras that I have as well.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-27-2012, 11:04 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
I have one of these
http://www.adana-usa.com/index.php?m...roducts_id=686

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-27-2012, 11:15 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWANNAGOFAST View Post
Oh wow, that's definitely a nice one. A little pricey, but not bad. If I had seen those before I bought my other ones I definitely would have gotten them. If we don't end up switching the betta out for some shrimp I'll have to get one!
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-27-2012, 11:53 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Petsmart has durable preset heaters for a decent price. I have the Aqueon 5 watt and the Marina 10 watt is 1 - 2 gallon tanks and they keep my tanks at a steady reliable 78.
The Aqueon one is in store only I've noticed and it seems to come in waves. The marina one is always there.
My friend has the 25 watt Marina an her 3 gallon and its stays at a reliable 78.

Don't let the package fool you. They are quite small out of it. I would say maybe half an inch thick and an inch wide and 5 inches long. Or something close to that. Smallest heater I've ever seen. http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...=Aquarium+Size

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-28-2012, 03:13 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (12/100%)
They also have fluval heaters at Petco that are small and very sleek looking.

The Fraternity of Dirt #97Just because its dirt doesn't make it low tech

Emersed tUB clUB #17

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode