Windowsill shrimp bowl - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-26-2012, 02:42 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (19/100%)
Windowsill shrimp bowl

Hello!
I originally bought this bowl for a female betta but i upgraded her to the aqueon evolve eight. I wanted to try my hand at these shrimp everyone loves so here it is.

I ordered these guys from a member on here, one came berried =] Now i have at least five berried females that i can see and count.

I then bought 4 redder ones from my LFS, of course they have never been able to get them in until i have already bought some from somewhere else...so if i remember correctly i have like 43 in there.

Substrate is ion earth from hydrophyte.
Light is the sun.
Heater is just a tetra heater that keeps it about 73-78', i take it out for pics =]
No filtration.
Plants- mostly blyxa, has a small compact sword, one leafed rhizome of anubias nana and duckweed and frogbit floaters.
Fauna- RCS and a few baby pond snails and ramshorn snails that made their way in.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-26-2012, 10:42 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (12/100%)
Be careful not to have too many adults in there, otherwise that thing will get overpopulated quickly.
Nice looking shrimp!

The Fraternity of Dirt #97Just because its dirt doesn't make it low tech

Emersed tUB clUB #17
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-26-2012, 11:13 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
That is awesome! How often do you have to clean it though?

Fluval Flora Pimp #34, 40b Congo Puffer Tank,

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-26-2012, 11:15 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
That's a nice bowl you have there. Oh and the shrimp are nice too lol.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-27-2012, 02:43 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

This bowl holds a little less then three gallons all filled up with the substrate and stone in there, how many adult shrimp would you say that can handle? I plan on removing some and dispersing them to my other small tanks too.

When I first started it the other week or so I did water changed every day just to make sure, I havent done a water change in a few days so I plan to do one today.

Thanks for looking and commenting its my first time with shrimp so I'm excited about it!

post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-27-2012, 03:09 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
this one can handle roughly 5-7 adults and then w/e babies you get, move em out once they become larger juveniles.

the bowl will likely get some algae during the first few months, but it'll calm down after a while once it gets used to the water changes.
weekly water change is good once its cycled.

nice plants man! going to look amazing once it all takes over.

post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-27-2012, 03:22 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Hey, thanks for the advice Newman!
I'm getting some other plants (today I hope) to put in here, anubias petite and what not. The only things I need for it after those is like peacock or Xmas moss, I'd like to do a little bit of a moss foreground in front of the stone.

The sun is doing the job now but I don't know how much sun it will get in the winter here...I'd like to do some sort of clamp on light for then, I better start looking, by then maybe I will have found the perfect one!

post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-27-2012, 05:02 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (12/100%)
Newman is the shrimp bowl pro :haha:

The Fraternity of Dirt #97Just because its dirt doesn't make it low tech

Emersed tUB clUB #17
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-27-2012, 05:19 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Sure is =]

post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-28-2012, 12:54 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Did that water change yesterday and tested the water, there was a little bit of ammonia, so I better keep up with those water changes!

post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-28-2012, 04:09 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Here's a light that looks nice, it's on page 14 or so, it's the solar flare mini, I can get it at my lfs, I'm wondering if it will do well for this tank in the winter...?

http://www.deepblueprofessional.com/...g/dbwebcat.pdf

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-01-2012, 10:04 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Just spotted my first baby shrimp, it's too small for my iPhone to catch though....

post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-01-2012, 10:54 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
I recognize that petrified wood! It's one of my favorite pieces that I have found.

-Mike
Mini-M Journal:

Mini-M Journal 2:
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-02-2012, 12:22 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Yes!
I love it!
I always wish I had more.

post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 02:39 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I have 30+ shrimpy babies now.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode