Operation "Happy Betta" ~~~~ <('.'<) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-18-2012, 04:56 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (12/100%)
Operation "Happy Betta" ~~~~ <('.'<)

O.k. well I'm planning on making the ULTIMATE betta tank to keep my very first betta happy and healthy. I use to HATE bettas mostly for how people treated them in the first place, Tiny Containers (less than 1g), no plants, colorful substrate (well that's mostly just me. . .I don't like un-natural colors), and onlycommercial pellet food and so on.
But after seeing a Baby Betta at Petco I just had to try my hand at it.
-I bought a 2.5 gallon fish tank (would have been 5.5 but they were out :/)
-Lighting is residual lighting from my Shrimp Bowl
-Gravel is Black Aquarium Gravel from Petco (large kind so it doesn't blow around everywhere)
-Also bought this amazing piece of Flat Lace Rock which has a nice red/orange color to it.
-Cholla Wood
-"Assorted" Anubias from Petco (I'm guessing it's a Nana)
-and finally....the Baby Betta.
(Oh and some bits and pieces of moss from my shrimp bowl)
and note that this tank has been around for a while but it looked crappy and didn't do Felicity<----(Inside Joke if you know Day[9])(Girl) or Manfred(Also inside joke if you know Day[9])(Boy). It was extremely crappy originally and I don't even have pictures of it (who would?) so this isn't a new cycling tank that's stressing the Betta.

Future Plans consist of:
-Buying Indian Almond Leafs (The tannins leached from them boosts their Immune system)
-More Non-Stem Plants, Including some sort of floater (I'm thinking Duckweed since I have it in my bowl and I think it suites the "theme" I'm going for)
-Live Foods (will use Shrimp from shrimp bowl once it gets too overpopulated)

I know this was a long post and thanks for reading it if you got this far haha.
Leave Comments and Feedback!

The Fraternity of Dirt #97Just because its dirt doesn't make it low tech

Emersed tUB clUB #17
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-18-2012, 05:08 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (8/100%)
You are off to a good start! I would tie some of the moss you have to some of those bare cholla pieces as well. Also the rock you have is nice but I would maybe break it into smaller pieces and arrange them at angles coming out of the substrate. The single large slab in the middle of the tank is almost too much on its own. Glad you are trying a beta they have a wealth of personality to them! have fun!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-18-2012, 05:41 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Actually the Slate is at an angle you just can't see it cause it comes up and opens in the back, the Betta loves to chill in there, like a little lean-to also I don't want to risk screwing up the way the rock looks by trying to break (I screw up a lot.....this hobby is not very lucky for me).

Emersed tUB clUB #17

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-19-2012, 05:41 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (7/100%)
Frobit would be a good idea. Mine like to sleep under it and nest in it.
Are you gonna filter it at all? They dont need it but the scum at the surface is so annoying, ugh. Theyre really weak, and dont do a great job, but the Tetra Whisper 3i does enough of a job circulating the top of the tank for the >$10 price, haha.

Heater, too, that's a huge thing if you dont have one. Cant be an ultimate tank without a stable tropical temp C:

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-19-2012, 06:52 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Ya Heater is on the list but right now other things take priority (especially since it's summer atm). Does anyone know any Low-Light Non-rooting plants(just have regular gravel)? I moved the tank onto my Computer Desk because I read that Bettas like low light and currently only light is coming from ambient light in the room.

Also plan on just having lots of plants and no filter. I will periodically stir the surface of the water with my finger to keep crud from forming.

Emersed tUB clUB #17

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode