small planted bowl? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-17-2012, 09:18 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
small planted bowl?

i have been thinking about doing a small planted bowl for a while now. i don't plan to have any filtration or a heater or a light, just a planted bowl on my table. it would get quite a bit of morning light, but not so much after that. it will be beside 2 french doors going outside and near my large living room window.

i don't want any fish/shrimp/snails, just plants.

is this possible? my house gets quite chilly over night in the winter but during these next few months it should stay pretty good (about 19 C or so, warmer once the summer goes on)

what should i use as substrate? i have potting soil and play sand, could i do that? what kind of plants could i put in there? i was thinking a small piece of driftwood would be nice, or maybe just some rocks.

i don't have the bowl yet, but i was hoping to get it in the next few weeks.

any help would be greatly appreciated! thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-18-2012, 02:06 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
maybe moss - it usually likes cooler temps. and some hardy grassy plant or java fern and anubias.

this bowl idea may or may not work.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-18-2012, 08:52 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindy View Post
i have been thinking about doing a small planted bowl for a while now. i don't plan to have any filtration or a heater or a light, just a planted bowl on my table. it would get quite a bit of morning light, but not so much after that. it will be beside 2 french doors going outside and near my large living room window.

i don't want any fish/shrimp/snails, just plants.

is this possible? my house gets quite chilly over night in the winter but during these next few months it should stay pretty good (about 19 C or so, warmer once the summer goes on)

what should i use as substrate? i have potting soil and play sand, could i do that? what kind of plants could i put in there? i was thinking a small piece of driftwood would be nice, or maybe just some rocks.

i don't have the bowl yet, but i was hoping to get it in the next few weeks.

any help would be greatly appreciated! thanks!
hi Mindy

As Newman said the best bet is to grow moss and stem plants. most of the stem plants will grow without any issues as long as they are getting sufficient light.
Also do u want to grow plants with water or without water. u can even grow plants as immersed(without water) and still can grow stem plants. the only thing is you would need to keep it humid so will have to glad wrap your bowl.
if you want water in your bowl, get some java moss or willow moss and get a driftwood and attach it on the driftwood. It will look good. Also Hygro will be a good choice for a stem plant as well as green pennyworth.

Also if its for your table you can always get a small table lamp and it will look good as well

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-18-2012, 02:14 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (12/100%)
I don't think Immersed is really necessary because they aren't putting Fauna in the bowl, and I'd presume it's a small bowl based on the title. I think the bowl could work as long as the plants receive some light. If not try and place it in maybe a south facing window, I'm not sure what side you currently have it in (but I can probably assume East since it receives its light in the morning).

Also about the substrate if your potting soil is Organic then you can use it. But I would recommend instead of play sand go for a darker substrate like the black aquarium gravel they have at Petco.

The Fraternity of Dirt #97Just because its dirt doesn't make it low tech

Emersed tUB clUB #17
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-18-2012, 02:28 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
I started one of these bowls a year ago. I used the organic choice miricale grow potting soil and a little bit of clay. I capped it witht a little bit of gravel. I planted ludwigia (narrow leaf I think) and rotala indica and one crypt. It has gone crazy. I have ludwigia and rotala growing immersed. I did add snails to the bowl and I just do occasional water changes-I'v done maybe three in the yeay-and top off the water. My house gets chilly in the winter as well. The bowl gets light from a south facing window. Good luck
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-19-2012, 01:07 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

thanks guys. this is still just something that i am tossing around. i am not sure i will do it yet. i just really love the look of small bowls without much "machinery"

i could do a lamp. it would probably be for the best. i don't think my window faces east. i think it is north, well, north east. the sun is comes in on a diagonal.

maybe i will start looking for moss and a nice glass bowl.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-25-2012, 06:56 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)
plenty of plants can handle temps in the 60's in the winter, some even in the 50's. Just grab a good plant book or look online and away you go. I set up my bowl to make it through the midwest winter and it has Japanese moss balls, nana petites, frogbit for floaters, a dwarf sag, some willow moss, and a pennywort all in 1.25 gall. Current Betta Cube. I just use black aquarium gravel. Really makes the colors pop with the LED daylight bulb. Along with a few horned nerites for algae control and fertilizer. It looks great. I would recommend getting a small clip-on or desk lamp at approximately daylight range and timer for it though. I tdon't have driftwood or rocks, just plants, but whatever catches your fancy, grab it, bc you will enjoy looking at it.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-25-2012, 05:17 PM
Planted Tank Guru

once you get a lamp for it, you're pretty much set for a working bowl. all they really need is the stable source of light to be powered. not much else. organic soil is key and the cap layer of your choice. your plant choices can improve once you put the light on it. you can go with crypt, anubias, pygmy chain swords, dwarf sag, etc.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-25-2012, 05:54 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

thanks

i have decided i want to put it on the shelf under my tv (wall mounted) so i will have better access to a plug and not have to worry about a cord if i were to put it on my table.

i am going to look for a long, oval or rectangle shallow bowl.

if i were to put snails in there what are the chance of them crawling out? also, would i have to do water changes or just top ups if there were snails in there?

thanks again!
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-25-2012, 06:03 PM
Planted Tank Guru

depends on what type of snails you want. fancy or pest?
also depends on size of bowl.

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-25-2012, 06:35 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

i don't have the bowl yet, but i am guessing it will be about 1-2 gallons. i was thinking one snail that will keep the algae at bay. nerites don't breed in fresh water, right? i don't know how big they get. i am not sure i have ever seen one before. what would you suggest?
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-25-2012, 08:40 PM
Planted Tank Guru

something that eats algae- yes nerite fits that well. but you dont really want a female nerite, because it will lay annoying eggs everywhere. but its up to you. horned nerites are cool for smaller tanks. ruby nerite and zebra are good if you get one.

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-25-2012, 08:59 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

thank you i just googled them and i think that i like the zebra ones best.

how do i know if it is female?
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-26-2012, 02:00 AM
Planted Tank Guru

lol the only way to tell if its female is wait until it starts to lay those annoying white eggs everywhere. its 50/50 chance obviously...you cant tell unfortunately when you get one. there is no morphological difference between the two sexes just by looking at it.

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-26-2012, 11:04 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Darn! Haha! Thanks for your help. I am looking forward to setting this up!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode