Betta Tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-15-2012, 04:27 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Betta Tank

I'm thinking of making a low light, low maintenence planted betta tank with my extra 1 gallon tank. What kind of plants should i stock it with. So far i'm working with this:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-15-2012, 08:18 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (61/100%)
poor choice of substrate. but if you are going very low light, then it shouldnt matter too much.
some easy low light plants include mosses (taiwan, xmas, java, peacock, etc.), anubias petite (other anubias require the same care, but would be too large in such a small tank), and m. pteporus.

My Tanks:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
-
-
-

Eheim Pimp #296
Canon Pimp #67
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-16-2012, 05:13 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I know it's poor substrate, but thats all that i had available at the time. Those all sound like pretty good plants.

post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-16-2012, 03:11 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Good job. I like the idea of those plants too marko
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-16-2012, 03:48 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (12/100%)
I Currently have my betta in an all moss tank and it LOVES it....it refuses to leave it's moss so that's what I would chiefly focus on because with other plants that extend horizontally (ie. Anubias) then you run into the hassle of always trimming it and it never gets as big as you want it to. Good Luck with the tank I use to have one of those couple years ago.

The Fraternity of Dirt #97Just because its dirt doesn't make it low tech

Emersed tUB clUB #17
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-16-2012, 04:16 PM

PTrader: (3/100%)
Beating a dead horse here, but bettas really shouldn't be kept in such tiny tanks.

You could do a shrimp tank though!
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-17-2012, 03:41 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I was originally going to get a betta to put in my 10 but i'll be overstocked with it. Right now i have 3 platies, 3 swirdtails, a snail, and 12 platy babies.
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-17-2012, 04:12 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

This is how I like to rate a tank for a betta...
1 gallon - You better give it the best care possible (ie. Frozen/Live Food, Almond Leaves and/or Almond leaf extract, lots of plants and low flow).
2 gallon and up - Make it happy but you don't need to go overkill on care.

that's my input, I know people on this forum sell almond leaves, I would suggest buying some.

Good luck with the tank!

Emersed tUB clUB #17
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-17-2012, 12:43 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (61/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FisheriesOmen View Post
This is how I like to rate a tank for a betta...
1 gallon - You better give it the best care possible (ie. Frozen/Live Food, Almond Leaves and/or Almond leaf extract, lots of plants and low flow).
2 gallon and up - Make it happy but you don't need to go overkill on care.

that's my input, I know people on this forum sell almond leaves, I would suggest buying some.

Good luck with the tank!
i agree with your basic ideas, but not the specifics.
bettas do not require indian almond leaves. they are believed to help entice spawning, and make bubblenesting easier, but have no proven health benefits as far as i am aware. and frozen/live food are great to make the betta happy, but high quality pellets are the healthiest staple. i use atisons, but there are other good brands.
in such a small tank, the most important things are regular water changes and a stable temperature.

that said, i believe any cycled aquarium is better than the petco cup.

My Tanks:

-
-
-
-
-

Eheim Pimp #296
Canon Pimp #67
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-17-2012, 03:52 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Actually Almond Leaf Extract (which comes from the leaves(The tannins that leach out of it)) helps their immune system and helps to keep them healthy.
All that matters is that it's healthy and happy. If the betta is happy in a 1gallon tank no reason to fret about it.

Emersed tUB clUB #17
post #11 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-19-2012, 05:20 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I got new plants for my 10g and had to take out some java fern. I decidednto stick it in the 1g with some water. So far I have this:

I might let it set up and put my apple snail in it since he likes to eat the plants in my 10.
post #12 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-19-2012, 05:37 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (7/100%)
Dont bury the rhizome (the hard part) under the gravel, or they'll suffocate and die.

Consider a marimo ball. My bettas rub all over them and they're funny little things. I also agree with the moss, and maybe some frogbit so that he can nest under it as well as offset ammonia, since this is a small tank.

Make sure it has a heater.

post #13 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-19-2012, 06:18 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myrr View Post
Dont bury the rhizome (the hard part) under the gravel, or they'll suffocate and die.

Consider a marimo ball. My bettas rub all over them and they're funny little things. I also agree with the moss, and maybe some frogbit so that he can nest under it as well as offset ammonia, since this is a small tank.

Make sure it has a heater.
I never knew you shouldn't bury the rhizome. I always have and never had a problem.
post #14 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-19-2012, 06:55 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganyon View Post
I never knew you shouldn't bury the rhizome. I always have and never had a problem.
Will probably do better if it's not buried. Also I agree on the Marimo ball, that's a great Idea and I'm gonna have to buy one myself too

Emersed tUB clUB #17
post #15 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-19-2012, 07:20 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

The tank is staying at a stable 70 degrees. No heater, just the light producing some heat.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode