my go at a nano - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-11-2012, 12:08 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
my go at a nano

Been a while since I have posted. Too long. My aquarium career has always been in bigger tanks. My thought was the bigger the better. Because of a recent move for my family and not wanting to give my 89 year old landlord a heart attack I had to tear down my trusty 50 gal. corner tank. ·sniffles·. There was no way I could give up my underwater love, so I went shopping. I found the Edge and my search was over. I fell in love. Everything I want out of an aquarium in a tiny package. EVERYTHING is hidden, even the waterline! I may never be going back to the 50.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20120610_161629.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	48958

I wanted to go easy on myself this time. I wanted a nice contrast between my substrate and my hardscape. I went with play sand from home depot! After a thorough rinse I put it in and added the black lava rock. Perfect!

Name:	20120610_161706.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	48959

Since my substrate has no nutritional integrity my vote was for java ferns and liquid ferts. Got the ones from petco that come in the tubes.... Guaranteed snail free!. In my opinion java ferns look amazing and compliment any tank well. Soon after I added some white clouds. Im happy as can be. A couple more weeks and I would love to add some shrimp. The only question is cherries or yellow neos!

Name:	Java edge.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	48960

Last edited by fishoutawater; 06-16-2012 at 06:10 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-11-2012, 01:24 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
I can't agree with you more on the java fern. I think it looks good everywhere.

-Mike
Mini-M Journal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mini-M Journal 2:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-11-2012, 02:04 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
Nice tank, and Java Fern rocks!

[50g][
][
][
][
][
][
][
][
][3g][2.1g] - [
] [
][
]

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-11-2012, 02:11 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (12/100%)
Gotta love nanos.....I've never been big into large tanks...but nanos I could have 30 of them and I'd still want more. Great Looking tank!
Also I think with the white play sand cherries might be more visible than yellow neos, both of them are great shrimps though!

The Fraternity of Dirt #97Just because its dirt doesn't make it low tech

Emersed tUB clUB #17
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-11-2012, 05:09 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks! Ya I think you are right about the cherries. Im leaning that way.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-11-2012, 05:54 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
That is it... I am getting an edge.

DAMN YOU! lol

Just those lavas with java on them look fantastic!

Bolivian Rams make everything better.

post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-16-2012, 06:40 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

So I got some cherry shrimp today thanks to a new found local member of plantedtank.net. Thank you trit0n2003! Finding a member that lives 3 miles away is like finding a Unicorn. After acclimating they got right to work. When I set up the tank I loved the look of simplicity just having stone and ferns. Now that I've had time to settle and look at the countless beautiful tanks around here I ponder. I am trying to decide if I should add some of the driftwood I have from the previous tank and attach some java moss or if I should stick with the initial layout and let the ferns take over. The wood could arc from behind the left stones and end up in front of the stones on the right to maybe bring the eye from left to right easier. Another possibility is to move the stones on the right to join the left and leaving the right side void and just stick with it stones and the ferns. Any thoughts?

post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-16-2012, 06:53 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Here is a shot of the piece I was thinking of in front of the tank to give you a little prospective. Imagine with java moss going from behind the left stone group to just in front of the right group. Excuse the flash as it is night and the tanks lights are off as well.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20120615_234328.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	49250  

post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-16-2012, 03:11 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Nice tank! I like the ferns and rock placement
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-16-2012, 04:28 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (8/100%)
Great tank! I personally wouldn't add the driftwood because I think what you have going is great. Its simple yet effective.

post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-16-2012, 06:29 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
I vote no on the wood too. I love simple tanks but it is always hard to keep them simple.

-Mike
Mini-M Journal:

Mini-M Journal 2:
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-16-2012, 06:36 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
Yup, great lil tank, leave the wood out.

[50g][
][
][
][
][
][
][
][
][3g][2.1g] - [
] [
][
]
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-16-2012, 06:58 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Wow thanks for the feedback. Driftwood is OUT! I definitely don't want to croud the simple elegance the ferns bring. Any thoughts on the rock scaping? Keeping it as is or bringing it all over to the left side and having a void on the right side. Thoughts on adding java moss to the rocks to mingle in places close to ferns.

post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-22-2012, 02:49 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
I like the rocks how they are and that's good you kept the wood out.
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-22-2012, 04:36 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (12/100%)
Keep the rocks as is, it feels so spacious like this instead of clutter on one end and nothing on the other. I can't wait to see those ferns tank over and reach across the water...I envy you
I'd literally say just leave the tank alone from this point on and see what happens.

The Fraternity of Dirt #97Just because its dirt doesn't make it low tech

Emersed tUB clUB #17

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode